Anyone remember WELEPHANT???

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
........he was the Fire safety mascot from the 80's and 90's and was a big red elephant wearing a fireman's helmet.

I managed to track him down and bring him out of retirement for a school gala this year.:D

Anyone remember him???????

Comments

• mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell yeah, when wewas in primary schol he tripped up on the power cord of the Overhead projector (lol tht makes me feel old) and his head fell of. It was brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    Hell yeah, when wewas in primary schol he tripped up on the power cord of the Overhead projector (lol tht makes me feel old) and his head fell of. It was brilliant.

OHP? PMSL.

Christ, you ARE old LOL!

I wore the suit this summer and his head weighs a bloody tonne. It's made from that old-fashioned fibreglass......no wonder he tripped over the cable, he was top-heavy!
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Ah, yes, I remember him coming to school once in a while, telling us not to smoke in bed and stuff.

In fact, here he is on a **** break:
    http://www.whitehavenandwesternlakeland.co.uk/carnival2008/parade.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    My then-uncle used to be the fireman inside Welephant. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    My then-uncle used to be the fireman inside Welephant. :p

Scandalous! :eek::eek::eek:

:D
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww, Welephant, he was ace. I was gutted to discover that my young newphews have no idea who he is. Bring back Welephant! Was he nation wide, I wonder? I'm inthe North West of England.
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.S.

"Matches, matches, never touch. They can hurt you very much" :D
    Forum Member
    mathertron wrote: »
    Scandalous! :eek::eek::eek:

:D

I can just imagine the book deal - "Playing With Fire: my life with a fire safety icon".

Accompanied by a picture of Welephant passed out in an alcoholic haze on the floor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melp26 wrote: »
    P.S.

Welephant says......Never Touch Matches.

What they didn't tell the kids is that if they DID touch matches, he'd be round to trunk-whip you into submission.

And yes, he was nationwide!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melp26 wrote: »
    P.S.

*like*

haha had that running through my head as soon as I saw the word welephant :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Welephant was a West Midlands thing?
    Does the OP remember Wumpty too, considering his forum name?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Welephant was a West Midlands thing?
    Does the OP remember Wumpty too, considering his forum name?

Bloody Hell, now Wumpty IS a blast from the past.

He's still going strong. He's not on the buses anymore.....alas, he gave it up, hours were playing havoc with his social life and family.

Welephant was conceived by Greater Manchester Fire service and it was such a big hit that other fire services adopted him. Welephant is now officially the mascot for a national burns charity, but there are only 2 suits left in the whole of the UK.

Something tells me that you remember Wumpty too!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody Hell, now Wumpty IS a blast from the past.

He's still going strong. He's not on the buses anymore.....alas, he gave it up, hours were playing havoc with his social life and family.

Welephant was conceived by Greater Manchester Fire service and it was such a big hit that other fire services adopted him. Welephant is now officially the mascot for a national burns charity, but there are only 2 suits left in the whole of the UK.

Something tells me that you remember Wumpty too!:D

Yeah, I remember he was on the old bus tickets ;)
    Forum Member
    Why was Welephant called Welephant?:confused:
  • ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember! Came to our school in Walsall!
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    Why was Welephant called Welephant?:confused:

He was an elephant in wellies?

and yes I remember him. :)
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They made a video about childrens safety at my daughter's school, shown on Granada tv local evening news. She was in the video with a friend's son.

Wonder if i can find it online?
  • SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't remember meeting Welephant himself but I do have a sticker of him that says 'say NO to matches'. Maybe Hertfordshire could only afford stickers and not the costume?

I also have a Major Molar sticker. I now know why my Mum didn't like me putting stickers on my chest of drawers - they're still there all these years later!
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    I loved Welephant!, I went to school in West Yorkshire.
  • nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welephant came to our primary school in the early 90's we swamped him and he was put back in the fire engine till we calmed down:o:o

we used to get the welephant newsletter aswell every so often!

I also thought it was just a local thing didnt realise he was countrywide!
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, the Fire Service do not have the 'rights' to Welephant so cannot afford him these days.

They have Blaze Bear now. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tidosho wrote: »
    They made a video about childrens safety at my daughter's school, shown on Granada tv local evening news. She was in the video with a friend's son.

Wonder if i can find it online?

If you contact your local news team at ITV Studios in Manchester (formerly Granada) with some basic details, I'm sure they'll have ait in the archive somewhere.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, the Fire Service do not have the 'rights' to Welephant so cannot afford him these days.

They have Blaze Bear now. :(

See my previous post CD............the fire service as a national entity don't have a mascot, I belive that each service devises their own marketing strategy and some have adopted Blaze Bear.

A poor substitute for a fire fighting legend!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I remember he was on the old bus tickets ;)

Poor old Wumpty was dumped when local bus services were deregulated in 1986. He was replaced with some half-arsed Bee by West Midlands Travel and it never really had the same impact.

As for the old bus tickets.......you really ARE showing your age like matherton!
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I remember Welliphant :mad:

I have a phobia of people dressed in animal costumes (don't ask :rolleyes:) .Whilst at a street fair in Sherringham one year, I lost my family, so I was walking backwards, trying to see them when I bumped into somebody, I turned around to apologise only to find Welliphant right behind me :eek: My family found me soon afterwards....running down the road screaming like a mad woman :o