Options

The Christmas TV Thread 2010

Comments

• Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll do a Jamie Oliver special at xmas like they always do. Maybe this year he'll do a '30 min xmas meals' ?? ...

Yeah ... Most prob! All the TV chefs come out at Christmas with a Christmassy episode! :D
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if The Morecambe and Wise biopic will be shown at Christmas? I wouldn't be surprised if BBC Two dedicated the night with a documentary about the two at 8pm, the film at 9pm and one of their specials at 10.30-11pm.

Speaking of biopics, wasn't ITV and Left Bank planning a Tommy Cooper biopic?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Wonder if The Morecambe and Wise biopic will be shown at Christmas? I wouldn't be surprised if BBC Two dedicated the night with a documentary about the two at 8pm, the film at 9pm and one of their specials at 10.30-11pm.

Will there be anything on BBCtv this Christmas? The unions are suggesting strikes at Christmas.:(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »

I think it could be, Morecambe and Wise were well known for their Christmas Specials so it would fit for this biopic to be shown over Christmas
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Will there be anything on BBCtv this Christmas? The unions are suggesting strikes at Christmas.:(:(
    Only the NUJ are considering Christmas strikes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    While we are waiting for the networks to announce their Christmas highlights, I was wondering what year in the last ten do you think BBC1 and ITV1 were at it’s best with their Christmas Day Schedule?

For me, BBC1 was great in 2008 – EastEnders, Royle Family, Wallace and Gromit, Doctor Who and Strictly – A fantastic line up! The only thing I’d change to make it perfect was have Gavin and Stacey on Christmas Day and move Blackadder Rides Again to Christmas Eve.

Picking for ITV1 is a little more difficult, but I also think their best line up in the last 10 years has also got to be 2008 – Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Dancing on Ice, Harry Potter, It’ll Be Alright on the night, Stanley Baxter ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, In the last 10 years, what is everyone's worse BBC1 and ITV1's Christmas Day line-up.

For me, BBC1's has to be 2003 - It was pretty poor with only Only Fools and Horses helping it a little.

Haha, now for ITV1 it would be easy to choose them all but if I had to pick the worst from a bad bunch it would be 2009, pretty poor programmes for Christmas Day (not including the soaps).
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Best BBC1 Christmas Lineup would be 2008 or 2009. Both years stacked with huge festive specials and good film premieres.

In 2008 you had the W+G film premiere, special, The first of The Royle Family trilogy and the usual shows. 2009 didnt have W+G but had a Gavin and Stacey episode and Catherine Tate special which added a bit late on. 2006 was aldo stacked with Comedy specials most of the day.

I will never understand people who say Christmas TV has got worse. The last few years schedules have been far better with lots more comedy and drama specials. Not so long ago you had Outtake TV, Before They Were Famous, Ground Force and Changing Rooms on Christmas Day night. That would be like DIY SOS being on Christmas Day at 7pm :eek: ;). Imagine the outrage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Boxing Day evening on BBC2 is being planned as a Morecambe & Wise evening of programmes including the biopic film.
    What else I heard yesterday:
    - There is only 1 Strictly Special on at Xmas (Fern Britton & John Barrowman have confirmed and they are trying to get Catherine Tate!)
    - Rock and Chips is planned to be shown on Christmas Day night
    - The four Nativity programmes are being shown on 21 - 24.
    - There is going to be a Top of the Pops Xmas Day special
    - The Christmas Day film is planned to be Cars.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've updated my predictions below based on feedback and what the above poster has said.
    bbbnbbb wrote: »
    My Updated Predictions:

Christmas Eve:

5:10 BBC News
    5:30 FILM: Shrek The Third
    7:05 Shrek The Halls
    7:30 Nativity
    8:00 EastEnders
    8:30 QI Christmas Special
    9:00 My Family Christmas Special
    10:00 Not Going Out Christmas Special
    10:30 The Graham Norton Christmas Show
    11:30 BBC News

Christmas Day:

3:00 The Queen
    3:10 FILM: Cars
    5:05 Tonight's The Night Christmas Special
    5:50 BBC News
    6:00 Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special
    7:00 EastEnders
    7:30 Doctor Who
    8:30 EastEnders
    9:00 Rock And Chips
    10:00 The Royle Family
    11:00 BBC News

Boxing Day:

6:00 Total Wipeout Special
    7:00 EastEnders
    7:30 FILM: Indiana Jones And The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    9:30 Michael McIntyre
    10:30 Would I Lie To You?
    11:00 BBC News

Monday 27th December:

7:00 BBC News
    7:30 Wallace and Gromit
    8:00 Upstairs Downstairs
    9:00 Toast
    10:30 BBC News

Tuesday 28th December

6:30 BBC News
    7:00 Big Top
    7:30 EastEnders
    8:00 Upstairs Downstairs
    9:00 Ruby in the Smoke
    10:30 BBC News
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Best BBC1 Christmas Lineup would be 2008 or 2009. Both years stacked with huge festive specials and good film premieres.

In 2008 you had the W+G film premiere, special, The first of The Royle Family trilogy and the usual shows. 2009 didnt have W+G but had a Gavin and Stacey episode and Catherine Tate special which added a bit late on. 2006 was aldo stacked with Comedy specials most of the day.

I will never understand people who say Christmas TV has got worse. The last few years schedules have been far better with lots more comedy and drama specials. Not so long ago you had Outtake TV, Before They Were Famous, Ground Force and Changing Rooms on Christmas Day night. That would be like DIY SOS being on Christmas Day at 7pm :eek: ;). Imagine the outrage.

Haha! Yeah, We do have a solid line-up year after year now but it does get a little boring! :D
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, here goes with my predictions for Christmas Eve-Boxing Day:

Christmas Eve

BBC1
    17:15 FILM: Madagascar
    18:40 Merry Madagascar
    19:05 Shrek The Halls
    19:30 The Nativity
    20:00 EastEnders
    20:30 QI
    21:00 Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special
    22:00 Would I Lie To You?
    22:30 The Graham Norton Christmas Show

ITV1
    19:00 Emmerdale
    19:30 Coronation Street
    20:00 You've Been Framed at Christmas
    20:30 Coronation Street
    21:00 Midsomer Murders

Christmas Day

BBC1
    15:00 The Queen
    15:10 FILM: Cars
    17:05 FILM: Shrek The Third
    18:30 BBC News
    18:45 EastEnders
    19:15 Doctor Who
    20:15 EastEnders
    20:45 Rock and Chips
    21:45 The Royle Family
    22:45 Come Fly With Me

ITV1
    15:00 The Queen
    15:10 Harry Potter (any of them)
    18:00 ITV News
    18:15 Coronation Street
    18:45 The Cube: Celebrity Special
    19:15 Emmerdale
    20:15 The Cube: Celebrity Special
    20:45 Coronation Street
    21:15 Agatha Christie's Poirot: Murder on the Orient Express

Boxing Day

BBC1
    18:30 Wallace and Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death (R)
    19:00 Just William
    19:30 EastEnders
    20:00 My Family
    21:00 Upstairs Downstairs
    22:00 Michael McIntyre's Christmas Comedy Roadshow
    22:45 Not Going Out

ITV1
    18:30 Ant and Dec's Christmas Show
    19:30 You've Been Framed at Christmas
    20:00 Harry Hill's Christmas TV Burp
    20:30 Coronation Street
    21:00 Benidorm at Christmas
    22:00 FILM: Love Actually

BBC1 would air Indiana Jones at some point from 27-30 December. ITV's 2 hour dramas could also swap quite easily, and they also have a David Jason one-off called Come Rain Come Shine which I think could do really well, and that could also pop up on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so looking forward to watching Toast on the 27th - I love Nigel Slater and the book was brilliant.
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    Christmas has never been the same since no Only Fools and Horses ot Top Of The Pops.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only_You wrote: »
    Also, In the last 10 years, what is everyone's worse BBC1 and ITV1's Christmas Day line-up.

For me, BBC1's has to be 2003 - It was pretty poor with only Only Fools and Horses helping it a little.

Haha, now for ITV1 it would be easy to choose them all but if I had to pick the worst from a bad bunch it would be 2009, pretty poor programmes for Christmas Day (not including the soaps).

ITV1's Christmas Day was dreadful last year. I think they really tried to compete in 2008 and failed miserably so just gave up for 2009. I hope they make an effort again this time around.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    ITV1's Christmas Day was dreadful last year. I think they really tried to compete in 2008 and failed miserably so just gave up for 2009. I hope they make an effort again this time around.

Yeah that's the impression I got too. I think they'll have been really disappointed with some of the numbers they got in 2008 as they made a real effort, especially with Dancing on Ice, whihc whilst performing reasonably got crushed by Wallace and Gromit. Had they stuck with DOI last year I think it would have done better (~6m) as it wouldn't have aired against Wallace and Gromit and EastEnders was a little weaker than in 2008. All Star Mr and Mrs was just dreadful for Christmas Day and deservedly tanked, and although you can't really argue with a new Poirot, having such a crap lead-in meant it was strangled at birth against such tough competition. The premiere of Happy Feet did fairly well in the afternoon though iirc and the soaps were up on 2008 so they didn't do too badly last year.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    New BBC 2 show for Christmas.

Stars look back for BBC2
    22 October, 2010

One Foot In The Grave star Richard Wilson and Gavin & Stacey’s Alison Steadman are to offer candid reflections on their careers for BBC2’s Christmas season.

Belfast-based indie Green Inc is producing the 4 x 60-minute The Many Faces, which will be executive produced by managing director Stephen Stewart.

It was commissioned by BBC2 controller Janice Hadlow and entertainment controller Mark Linsey.

• Options
    Forum Member
    mistygal wrote: »
    Christmas has never been the same since no Only Fools and Horses ot Top Of The Pops.

Well ... Theres a Christmas Top of The Pops and The Only Fools spin-off this year so all is not bad for you! :D
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    New BBC 2 show for Christmas.
    Sounds good. BBC2 always seem to do retrospective and nostalgic shows that are always interesting.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope BBC2 or BBC4 repeat S1-3 of Mad Men during the xmas break. That would be a great filler, especially for BBC4.
  • Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,101
    Forum Member
    The Royal Institution Christmas lectures are back on BBC after 10 years.

They will be shown on BBC4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I really hope BBC2 or BBC4 repeat S1-3 of Mad Men during the xmas break. That would be a great filler, especially for BBC4.

They showed series 1 on consecutive Sundays in August/September and then they seemed to disappear? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please let the BBC1 Christmas ident be Doctor Who free!!
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vivadiva wrote: »
    They showed series 1 on consecutive Sundays in August/September and then they seemed to disappear? :confused:

Pah. I missed it then :(

Really want to watch this show and see what the fuss is about but dont want to resort to illegal means or buy the DVDs :p
  • Options
    McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just hoping for some decent films on to record. I do my love my xmas TV.