Options

1st October - Still no (meaningful) firmware update!!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    savvy wrote: »
    Read the rest of the thread - http://www.hummy.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=43518#post43518

Personally, I like Folders. I'm intrigued, can you expand a bit more on your file issues?

Rgds.

Les.

No. I'm with you, I also like folders. It's more to do with file organising i.e. moving, copying and deleting. Alongside this slightly unusual way of file manipulation there is or was ,of course, copy protection, just to muddy the water a little more. So that if you are doing the correct things to copy a file, the copy or move button still doesn't illuminate due to file protection, but you don't know that, so then you are off trying another (incorrect) combination of buttons and file listings and so on..:)
    I like to think I'm computer savvy, but some of the methods and key presses completely defeated me. Fortunately this forum exists which is how I've discovered a lot of the operation of the box.
    One extra little filing thing which is irritating is that when you are in the deletion mode of File manager to remove, say the first program in a series, which has been watched, the New flag disappears from beside the unwatched file names. I find myself having to switch back out of File deletion mode, noting down the dates with flags, then going back in to delete the one watched file I want to get rid of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I am really looking forward to this update.

If it also includes the ability to control the HDR over the Internet I will be as happy as a pig in s***. Does anyone know if this is likely to be possible at some stage?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LesU wrote: »
    No. I'm with you, I also like folders. It's more to do with file organising i.e. moving, copying and deleting. Alongside this slightly unusual way of file manipulation there is or was ,of course, copy protection, just to muddy the water a little more. So that if you are doing the correct things to copy a file, the copy or move button still doesn't illuminate due to file protection, but you don't know that, so then you are off trying another (incorrect) combination of buttons and file listings and so on..:)
    I like to think I'm computer savvy, but some of the methods and key presses completely defeated me. Fortunately this forum exists which is how I've discovered a lot of the operation of the box.
    One extra little filing thing which is irritating is that when you are in the deletion mode of File manager to remove, say the first program in a series, which has been watched, the New flag disappears from beside the unwatched file names. I find myself having to switch back out of File deletion mode, noting down the dates with flags, then going back in to delete the one watched file I want to get rid of.
    OK, same sort of thing as Patrick, then, not Folders per se. I had asked because I've seen others comment about Folders.

Re the details in FM, even in Edit Mode, you don't have to switch back out to get the details. Press "i" when on the file, the Info screen still works in File Manager :) Unless you mess about with the Sort, they are in the same order as when in Media Simple View, anyway, so if it's the bottom, oldest, one to be deleted, it will be bottom in FM. But go ahead and check to be sure with "i".

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The folders should also have a symbol next to them in the main view to show if there is anything unwatched in them so that you don't have to click into each folder every time.
    Patrick,

As if by magic .....:D:D:D
    http://www.hummy.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=43546#post43546

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Good news about the update list- there is hope on the horizon after all, however distant.

I hope they have fixed the schedule too- there are plenty of times I have had programs in the schedule with dates that have already been and gone, wether that program has still got an upcoming episode or has even finished its run (obviously in the latter case, it shouldn't even be in the schedule!).

I also hope they have worked on the HDMI handshake too, so I can finally say goodbye to the black screen issue.

Also, no news on the buffer issue where if you are watching something you paused and it comes out because the recording stopped.

I hate that there is still no date mentioned though- not even a rough estimate. Next year now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Sorry if I missed this elsewhere on the forum, but did anyone here actually get one of those USB sticks with iPlayer software to test?

If so, how is it going?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news about the update list- there is hope on the horizon after all, however distant.

I hope they have fixed the schedule too- there are plenty of times I have had programs in the schedule with dates that have already been and gone, wether that program has still got an upcoming episode or has even finished its run (obviously in the latter case, it shouldn't even be in the schedule!).

?

If the previously recorded programme stays in the list and there is a next episode within the 8 day epg and the hdr does not pick it up it's pretty certain that the transmitter has screwed up the prog or series crid codes. No amount of firmware updates can correct this. Additionally if the last episode has recorded how can the hdr know other than the official freesat spec limit of 13weeks without a recording ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gostwycke wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to this update.

If it also includes the ability to control the HDR over the Internet I will be as happy as a pig in s***. Does anyone know if this is likely to be possible at some stage?

I can say with some confidence this extra feature will not be implemented in our existing products. The declared features are pretty much it and although we have a couple of things in the lab that may/may not get through they don't include that item.

It is still being considered for future designs but it has more substantial design implications. I can't remember if there is a thread but I am happy to discuss the theory more.
  • Options
    welshblobwelshblob Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_Cat wrote: »
    I can say with some confidence this extra feature will not be implemented in our existing products.

And I don't blame you, lets get the hdr working as it is. It's a shame it doesn't have something like taps on the topfield as the power of the community could be leveraged then.

Given this rumoured update I'm once again contemplating the foxsat hdr. My free sky+ offer runs out in a months time and I need to consider the options.

cheers
    Rob
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_Cat - Is the published list on the Hummy forums the complete list of fixes and enhancements?

As long as the power cut bug is fixed (either in the forthcoming update or one to be released in a few months time) then I will be quite happy (as long as no serious bugs are found).

This forthcoming update and as long as the power cut bug gets fixed in a reasonable amount of time could restore my faith in Humax. I will be purchasing a Freeview HD+ PVR when they are available and this could swing it towards Humax's new models coming out next year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richard,

As I have said before, the service manager will officially confirm anything once the date is booked in. We are not refuting anything about that list that has been obtained, but once we have a finalised official list we will publish it.

Bob
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_Cat wrote: »
    richard,

As I have said before, the service manager will officially confirm anything once the date is booked in. We are not refuting anything about that list that has been obtained, but once we have a finalised official list we will publish it.

Bob

Cheers Bob, I'll stop asking and hold tight for when the update happens.

As you may have gathered I have a bee in my boonet about the HDR not recording following a power cut and am keen to know when it is being fixed. As the new update fixes the wiping of the schedules and re-enables delete whilst recording the power cut issue is the only real "show stopper" of a bug that remains as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    ...the power cut issue is the only real "show stopper" of a bug that remains as far as I am concerned.

Why not save yourself the heartburn and buy a cheap UPS backup power supply? For about £55 you'll be able to get an APC Back-UPS jobbee with regular 3 pin sockets on it which would probably last for weeks during a power cut when the box is in standby. I know it's not really fixing the issue but it does mean you'll be able to record even DURING power cuts, something Humax will never fix!
  • Options
    TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    --Mark-- wrote: »
    Why not save yourself the heartburn and buy a cheap UPS backup power supply? For about £55 you'll be able to get an APC Back-UPS jobbee with regular 3 pin sockets on it which would probably last for weeks during a power cut when the box is in standby. I know it's not really fixing the issue but it does mean you'll be able to record even DURING power cuts, something Humax will never fix!

This would also have the advantage that you could use it for something important whilst you were at home, e.g. central heating controls.

It would still be nice if it were fixed but if there is a hardware constraint that makes it impossible there's very little Humax can do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    --Mark-- wrote: »

Trouble with UPS is I don't have the space for one by the TV, so that's a non-starter alas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble with UPS is I don't have the space for one by the TV, so that's a non-starter alas.

But if it's only for use when you are on holiday, surely it can sit anywhere, no matter how unsightly?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Tern wrote: »
    But if it's only for use when you are on holiday, surely it can sit anywhere, no matter how unsightly?

Ah, I see - guess so.

TBH I don't get around to watching a lot of what I record anyway, so if I miss stuff here or there, c'est la vie :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member

It might well be a solution and a good one but why on earth should you/we have resort to that. It simply should be able to recover from a power cut and be in the firmware upgrade! :eek: I notice an ominous silence on the issue though...

I recently lost 10 days of recording because of a power cut whilst away on holiday - so it is still a bit of a sore point.

Normally a power cut isn't much of a problem though since I am around to check the box is well :)

Patrick
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might well be a solution and a good one but why on earth should you/we have resort to that.

We should only have to resort to that if there is no way that Humax can sort out the problem with the current hardware.

If that's the case it's simple pragmatism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    We should only have to resort to that if there is no way that Humax can sort out the problem with the current hardware.

If that's the case it's simple pragmatism.

If that is the definitely the case then I agree....but do you think we ought to be informed of this fact by Humax issuing a statement something along the lines of "due to the limitations of design and serious oversight, purchasers of the HDR will have to buy a UPS thus ensuring continuous functionality in the event of a power cut. Expressly, that is if a person should be so bold as to go on holiday and leave the machine unattended"... :)

Patrick
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that is the definitely the case then I agree....but do you think we ought to be informed of this fact by Humax issuing a statement something along the lines of "due to the limitations of design and serious oversight, purchasers of the HDR will have to buy a UPS thus ensuring continuous functionality in the event of a power cut. Expressly, that is if a person should be so bold as to go on holiday and leave the machine unattended"

Well, if it is definitely not fixable in software it would be nice to be told so that anyone who does want to go down the UPS route knows they won't end up forking out £50 only to have the problem sorted out in the box a few weeks later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if it is definitely not fixable in software it would be nice to be told so that anyone who does want to go down the UPS route knows they won't end up forking out £50 only to have the problem sorted out in the box a few weeks later.

Just to clear this up. At the beginning of August I asked Bob_Cat whether the power cut bug could be fixed or whether it was a hardware fault. His reply:-

"There is no hardware issue, it is all in software."

So even if it's not fixed in this forthcoming update (why I don't know they have had enough time to fix it or temporarily bodge it) then I would expect at least one more update in the not too distant future that would fix it.

Just to clarify - I am only re-iterating what Bob_Cat said. If it does turn out to be not software fixable then don't shoot me :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be ironic if one bought the UPS and days later the mythical Humax firmware was released that actually corrects the fundamental product flaw.

Again perhaps more likely it will not even when it is released...

Off target slightly beware of using a cheap UPS to work ones central heating.
    Some of the more budget UPS units give out a very funny stepped sinewave rather than a nice pure sinewave.

This can upset items with AC mains motors in e.g. fan in boiler and circulating pump.

An easy test is to try one on a table fan and see if it sounds normal in operation.

Gadgets like computers and Humax boxes don't care much about a poor sinewave as the first thing they do is turn mains AC into DC in their switchmode power supplies.

Automan.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Automan wrote: »
    It would be ironic if one bought the UPS and days later the mythical Humax firmware was released that actually corrects the fundamental product flaw.

Again perhaps more likely it will not even when it is released...

Off target slightly beware of using a cheap UPS to work ones central heating.
    Some of the more budget UPS units give out a very funny stepped sinewave rather than a nice pure sinewave.

This can upset items with AC mains motors in e.g. fan in boiler and circulating pump.

An easy test is to try one on a table fan and see if it sounds normal in operation.

Gadgets like computers and Humax boxes don't care much about a poor sinewave as the first thing they do is turn mains AC into DC in their switchmode power supplies.

Automan.

Mythical !!!!!
  • Options
    welshblobwelshblob Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythical !!!!!

Fantastical :D