Tattoos - Love or Loathe ?

1235»

Comments

• NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Also grew up with the adults around me having the opinion that a tattoo is an indication of being a criminal or lower class.I don't believe this and at one stage decided I wanted one but changed my mind because I was nervous I would not like it and decided I preferred virign skin. I have seen some gorgeous tattos but a lot of horrid colourful cartoon characters too, Anyway I will be getting a tattoo as soon as my blood glucose is in control. I am a type 1 from childhood diabetic who is forever forgetting/losing her medical alert. I intend getting a medical tattoo , which may save my life one day and hope this doesn't make people thing I am a chav - at least I am used to needles.....
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Natgar wrote: »
    I Also grew up with the adults around me having the opinion that a tattoo is an indication of being a criminal or lower class.I don't believe this and at one stage decided I wanted one but changed my mind because I was nervous I would not like it and decided I preferred virign skin. I have seen some gorgeous tattos but a lot of horrid colourful cartoon characters too, Anyway I will be getting a tattoo as soon as my blood glucose is in control. I am a type 1 from childhood diabetic who is forever forgetting/losing her medical alert. I intend getting a medical tattoo , which may save my life one day and hope this doesn't make people thing I am a chav - at least I am used to needles.....

Only an idiot would think that.

People may not like it, but thats ok.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn right.

Sorry - fairly new poster and don't know how to delete this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Thats that sorted then.

Damn right.
  • ric-ticric-tic Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    i think a lot of people who love their tatoos are still missing the point one day you will be old and really regret it.
    i know a lady in her 70s who has tatoos on her arms they were obviously done in the 50s, and today well they look bad, she still works serving people in a beach kiosk and when im there watch the way people look at her with their faces screwed up especially young people, i feel sorry for her occasionally she gets upset and arguments start, thats the way i look at tattos what is THAT going to look like in 40 years.
    now to tattoo removal which nobody has mentioned, i had a tatto done in a moment of madness like the guy mentioned earlier in blackpool its on my forearm,for those that think you just go and get lazer treatment and its gone its not so simple it depends on colours for example a homemade blue one may be quite easy but ones done in a salon with colours not so, in my case red and orange is a problem, to date ive spent more than £2000 [its quite a small one] and it still hasnt fully gone though im much happier that no one can actually see what it originally was and a sun tan helps cover it.also if you think it hurts when it goes on it hurts more when it comes off, if you are unsure about having a tattoo then dont do it ..... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    ric-tic wrote: »
    i think a lot of people who love their tatoos are still missing the point one day you will be old and really regret it.
    i know a lady in her 70s who has tatoos on her arms they were obviously done in the 50s, and today well they look bad, she still works serving people in a beach kiosk and when im there watch the way people look at her with their faces screwed up especially young people, i feel sorry for her occasionally she gets upset and arguments start, thats the way i look at tattos what is THAT going to look like in 40 years.
    now to tattoo removal which nobody has mentioned, i had a tatto done in a moment of madness like the guy mentioned earlier in blackpool its on my forearm,for those that think you just go and get lazer treatment and its gone its not so simple it depends on colours for example a homemade blue one may be quite easy but ones done in a salon with colours not so, in my case red and orange is a problem, to date ive spent more than £2000 [its quite a small one] and it still hasnt fully gone though im much happier that no one can actually see what it originally was and a sun tan helps cover it.also if you think it hurts when it goes on it hurts more when it comes off, if you are unsure about having a tattoo then dont do it ..... ;)

Good advice!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If arguments and "screwed up faces" happen then why not simply cover the tattoos, its her own choice to show them off..
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

If all i have to worry about when im in my 70s is my tattoos i'll be a very happy man indeed.

Its the oddest argument ever in my view. I KNOW i would always regret not having them done if i decided against them so weighing that up against someone saying it looks daft when (if i get there) im old - meh, i know which one i'll take!

Also given the rise in popularity of tattooing by the time im in in the nursing home with my current peers chances are there will be a number of us sporting tattoos as well.

Also anyone who thinks "they can just get laser surgery" is clearly not ready to be tattooed, you kinda back that point up by the fact that the tattoo you have was done "in a moment of madness". Not the right way to go about it.
  • xAries_1990xxAries_1990x Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one tattoo on my hip which is a small latin phrase. I'd been wanting one for almost three years and I don't regret it at all, I'm so glad I had it done.

Plus as it's on my hip when I'm old I can easily cover it up as I doubt I'll be wearing bikinis in my 60's and 70's lol

I want another small one on my lower back as well now. Tbh I don't see them as chavvy at all and never have, the only ones I think that look horrible the poorly done ones. I don't understand why people don't spend a bit more money and go to a good artist considering it's going to be on them for the rest of their lives. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't like them sorry. I'm kind of an open person and during my skater days considered a tattoo and some extra piercings but Im glad now I didn't.

Tattoos do carry some pre-conceptions, like it or not. Accross the lower part of the back on girls, things like roses on ankles and stuff like "butch" tattoos on arms all carry negative connotations. Accross my wide circle of friends from all areas and backgrounds the only ones who don't think this way are the ones with said tattoos.

As for the other tattoos that may not have a negative stigma, no matter how impressive the tattoo or how cute, there just isn't a single one I've seen that I think the person wouldn't look better without.