Options

Your first R1 and R2 DVD's ?

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
Which were the first DVD's you bought ?
My first R2 DVD was "Enter The Dragon"
My first R1 DVD was "Deep Blue Sea", bought as an experiment to see whether my DVD player could actually play R1's ! :D

Comments

• Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Region 2 = Reservoir Dogs(the one with the whole red cover, think it came out in 1999/2000)
    Region 1 = I can't remember... it might have been Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse though.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    R2 - Cruel Intentions
    R1 - I honestly can't remember. I bought a lot of the Kurosawa Criterion's quite early but can't remember if they were first, doubt it.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    My first region 2 was Deep Blue Sea.
    I can't remember what my first region 1 was, could of been X Men.
  • Options
    snotrageatersnotrageater Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first R1 discs were early 1998 - the original US release of Moonraker long before the Special Editions appeared in the UK, and Anchor Bays awful 2 sided disc of the extended version of Dawn of the Dead when it was incorrectly known as the Directors Cut.

Then got a R1 player Feb 98.
    3 months late got a multiregion one.

First R2 was a Japanese disc of Gremlins to check my player could play both regions.

First UK disc may well have been Matilda
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    R1 = Lianna
    R2 = Resident Evil
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R2 = Outbreak, think it was one of the first to be released in this country.

R1 = Can't really remember, but Air Force One was one of the first I bought, from the original play.com :)
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I bought my first dvd player I splashed out on a few of my favourite films, I can't remember all the ones I bought that day (think I bought about 5) but I know they included The Thing & Manhunter.
    My first R1's were shipped from the US because as usual everything there is much cheaper than here. I bought The Fly/Fly II double pack, the 60s Batman film, Christine, Salem's Lot & Overboard for a tenner.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    When I bought my first dvd player I splashed out on a few of my favourite films, I can't remember all the ones I bought that day (think I bought about 5) but I know they included The Thing & Manhunter.
    My first R1's were shipped from the US because as usual everything there is much cheaper than here. I bought The Fly/Fly II double pack, the 60s Batman film, Christine, Salem's Lot & Overboard for a tenner.

All for a tenner ?? Wow !
    Or a tenner EACH ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R2 = Outbreak, think it was one of the first to be released in this country.

R1 = Can't really remember, but Air Force One was one of the first I bought, from the original play.com :)

I got the R1 of Air Force One the day I got my first player and the menus would not play on the Toshiba player properly.
    Soon became clear that Columbia R1 discs all had this problem on the Tosh .
    Only compatibility problem I ever had with dvd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    R2 - Pitch Black
    R1 - The Beastmaster

:)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    R2 Oasis: Familliar to Millions
    R1 Blade Runner: The Director's Cut
  • Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R2 - Postman
    R1 - Twister
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first R2 DVD was Elf, which my mum bought for me (I was only about 8).

My first R1 DVD was Beverly Hills Ninja:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    R1 halloween 8:o
    R2 mission impossable 2 on a shiny new 300:eek: quid dvd player back in the day!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R2 (NTSC): The Wanderer From Tokyo (Toukyou nagaremono), but couldn't play it because it had a scratch. TD was already and unsurprisingly out of stock so they gave me Black Lizard (Kuro Tokage) as a replacement. I finally bought the UKR2 edition of Tokyo Drifter when it was released years later. :D
    R2 (PAL): Metropolis
    R1: never bought one.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R2: Amelie.
  • Options
    Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R2: Contact
    R1: Saving Private Ryan

My favourite DVD is still the Queen Greatest Flix I+II I got with my Panasonic A100 (£650!!!!) in 1998. The dvd player died 2 and a half years later but I bought a £35 warranty from Currys and they replaced it with the newest model and refunded the price difference which at that point was about £400!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave1979 wrote: »
    R2: Contact
    R1: Saving Private Ryan

My favourite DVD is still the Queen Greatest Flix I+II I got with my Panasonic A100 (£650!!!!) in 1998. The dvd player died 2 and a half years later but I bought a £35 warranty from Currys and they replaced it with the newest model and refunded the price difference which at that point was about £400!!

I nearly bought an A100 as it was the first model in the UK and they hacked region coding quickly by disabling it completely.
    However , just before I went to get one some of the US companies changed their dvd authoring so that the disc had to read a region code before playback would start .

Buena Vista and MGM did this so their discs would not play on an A100.

Of course this messed everything up and it took another 3 months before region coding was properly hacked and those early machines were switchable between regions unlike the ones today that are all regions without changing anything.

Bluray region coding at the same stage now and is switchable
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All for a tenner ?? Wow !
    Or a tenner EACH ?

Tenner for the lot. Dvd's are ridiculously cheap in the states. Older films anyway, not sure about new releases.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Region 1: Terminator2 Ultimate edition
    Region 2: The perfect storm (i think)
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R2: Spaced series 1
    R1: Hellraiser 4 and 5 double pack

R3: Hellboy
    R4: Sin City (extended)
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R2 Star Trek TNG
    R1 Enterprise And Lois And Clark Superman.

First DVD was the PS2.
  • Options
    ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R1: Galaxy Quest R2: Goodfellas or Starship Troopers
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R2 Mighty Joe Young(had no choice over this as it came with my old Pioneer player)
    R1 Shaft
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    A Night to remember was my first R2 .( 2001 ) £9.99 hmv.

It was £12.99 last week on their website. So a little bargain 9 years ago.