Cost of Uni Fees in 1989

smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey i'm just doing a little bit of research and was wondering if anyone was able to help. I was hoping someone would be able to give me a rough guide to how much it would have cost for tution fees for a 3 year uni course in 1989? Any help would be great :)

Comments

• Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    University was free in those days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    It was free up until 1998 I think? Coinciding with 'Nu Labour' taking office, funnily enough.
  • smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah okay, thanks for that! :)
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't 'free'... There was still a tuition fee but the universities were paid by the grant awarding body or educational authority or whatever they were called in those days. As I understand they paid the tuition fee automatically and issued a means-tested maintenance grant cheque to the student as well.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iirc, it was £750 a year in 1995, which was largely (though not always) paid as part of the grant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuition fees were NOT means tested in the days of the full grant. It was always paid in full automatically to the institution. Only the maintenance grant (to pay for living and studying expenses) was means tested.
  • Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anything like as many school leavers went to university in 1989 though. Had the polys been turned into universities at that point?
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1989, my last year at Uni. I lived off grilled cheese on crispbread, and own-label cornflakes. Good times. And my tuition fees were paid by the local authority. In those days, none of us had typewriters, let alone pcs, laptops and mobiles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I don't think anything like as many school leavers went to university in 1989 though. Had the polys been turned into universities at that point?

No. That was 1992.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    It was free up until 1998 I think? Coinciding with 'Nu Labour' taking office, funnily enough.

The Tories started the process when:

1) they expanded the higher education sector with a massive increase in the university student population, thus making the grants system unsustainable.

2) they froze grants & introduced loans which, so the lying politicians reassured, were to supplement or 'top up' the grant and not to replace them...:rolleyes:

When Tory Blair came to power they stopped pretending and scrapped the grants system entirely.

It's to the shame of the NUS that they gave in with a whimper to classic 'thin end of the wedge' tactics by the government.

We can see the same tactic being adopted today to eventually privatise the NHS... Do it by stealth... Get the public used to the idea... Then present a fait accompli.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    1989, my last year at Uni. I lived off grilled cheese on crispbread, and own-label cornflakes. Good times. And my tuition fees were paid by the local authority. In those days, none of us had typewriters, let alone pcs, laptops and mobiles.

Surely some people must have had PCs.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No-one I knew at the time. I remember it very clearly, as for my final year, I bought an Olivetti typewriter that could remember one line of type at a time, and it was regarded as a marvel amongst my peers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

PCs were primitive and bulky in 1989. Very few people had their own. The Apple Mac had a tiny screen but its GUI interface was revolutionary. Windows nicked the idea.

People still used manual or electronic typewriters or 'word processors'. Essays and coursework were normally handwritten.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    You should ask what % of people went to uni, its been creeping up over time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    You should ask what % of people went to uni, its been creeping up over time.

I believe it was about 10% of school leavers.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Tuition fees were NOT means tested in the days of the full grant. It was always paid in full automatically to the institution. Only the maintenance grant (to pay for living and studying expenses) was means tested.

If someone had to resit a year they usually had to pay the tuition fees themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    If someone had to resit a year they usually had to pay the tuition fees themselves.

Yes because a resit year is an extra unnecessary year, as it was your own fault therefore at your own expense entirely. You resumed your grant entitlement when you pass and progress back onto your course as normal.

Except, as you point out "usually", if you had extenuating or compassionate circumstances that caused you to have to resit the year, then you could have the extra year's grant at the discretion of the award body.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    The Apple Mac had a tiny screen but its GUI interface was revolutionary. Windows nicked the idea.

Erm...no...Xerox developed the GUI and Apple and Microsoft were 'influenced' by it.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    What you should be looking for are the fees that overseas students were required to pay. They paid the full fees so you can get the un-fudged figures there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PCs were primitive and bulky in 1989. Very few people had their own. The Apple Mac had a tiny screen but its GUI interface was revolutionary. Windows nicked the idea.

People still used manual or electronic typewriters or 'word processors'. Essays and coursework were normally handwritten.

We had one. Though it was a family computer. :D Was a bit bulky. :D
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I went to uni in 1989 and had a BBC computer I used to write and print my work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My son went in 1988.
    I don't know about school leavers but there were only two from his primary school year that went to university.
    I just remember it as being very expensive, the tuition was free but we had to pay all living expenses.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you should be looking for are the fees that overseas students were required to pay. They paid the full fees so you can get the un-fudged figures there.

Which would have varied quite a bit depending on which course you're talking about (e.g. medicine much more expensive than arts), and presumably differed between different institutions.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PCs were primitive and bulky in 1989. Very few people had their own. The Apple Mac had a tiny screen but its GUI interface was revolutionary.

And both rather expensive for students to have. I had an Amstrad PCW9512, which was basically a word processor (though allegedly could do other things), with a daisywheel printer. Luxury!

(probably still had a Spectrum in a cupboard too!)
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spectrum was launched in 1982. By 1983, I had a few friends at Uni who had one. My brother had one too. I got a C64.

I don't remember any Word Processor programs though.