HDR 1000S - Failed Recordings EVERY NIGHT

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
Forum Member
Every morning I seem to have several failed recordings, I have also noticed that the box doesn't seem to auto switch if there is a channel clash when a recording is about to start. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Or, is anyone else noticing this?

Comments

• REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justnj wrote: »
    Every morning I seem to have several failed recordings, I have also noticed that the box doesn't seem to auto switch if there is a channel clash when a recording is about to start. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Or, is anyone else noticing this?

Change to channel 407. Go to system info and display signal level.
    1. Does the active tuner show signal quality of >50%?
    2, Do you see a message that two cables are connected.

Repeat after starting an instand record on BBC1 - can you change to 407 now?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »

Right, so turn to 407, signal is >50% states connected with two cables but only tuner 1 showing as active with a signal.

Start recording on BBC1 able to return to 407 now showing both tuners active with signal >50%
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, so turn to 407, signal is >50% states connected with two cables but only tuner 1 showing as active with a signal.

Start recording on BBC1 able to return to 407 now showing both tuners active with signal >50%

Only active tuners display figures. The quality is the important figure, it should be around 70% minimum on 407. If not you will likely have problems in bad weather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I also have the same issue and contacted Humax. They advised to remove the Ethernet cable as this appears to be confusing the box. I have some recordings planned this afternoon (which always fail) and will let you know if the removal of the Ethernet resolves the issue.

He also advised that the signal strength for tuner 2 may show as bad / no signal. This is a known error and will be fixed with a future update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is signal quallity (not strength?)
    Forum Member
    That is signal quallity (not strength?)

Strength is at 90% (ish, hard to tell as it doesn't actually give a figure) and Quality is at 100%
    Forum Member
    stewpotg wrote: »
    Hi,

I also have the same issue and contacted Humax. They advised to remove the Ethernet cable as this appears to be confusing the box. I have some recordings planned this afternoon (which always fail) and will let you know if the removal of the Ethernet resolves the issue.

He also advised that the signal strength for tuner 2 may show as bad / no signal. This is a known error and will be fixed with a future update.

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the box having to take the network cable out to enable it to record consitently?! hahaha...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strength is at 90% (ish, hard to tell as it doesn't actually give a figure) and Quality is at 100%

That is a very good quality signal for 407 - Neven seen 100% quality on it reported before.
    Forum Member
    That is a very good quality signal for 407 - Neven seen 100% quality on it reported before.

Hahaha, obviously I'm just special :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha, obviously I'm just special :D

Dish alignment is a compromise between 28.2E and 28.5E with slight differences in Skew etc. Suspect what you loose on the swings you gain on the roundabout. :)
    Forum Member
    Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the box having to take the network cable out to enable it to record consitently?! hahaha...

Agreed, and made no difference, all recordings this afternoon failed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, and made no difference, all recordings this afternoon failed.

The network cable would make no difference at all - the support guy (I think) was thinking of a much older unit where certain local network problems have been found to cause problems.

Humax and freesat are known to monitor these forums so exact details rather than "all recordings this afternoon failed" may lead to quicker resolution. As a software designer and tester some years ago I would suggest you include all details including the channel that it is tuned to.
    Forum Member
    The network cable would make no difference at all - the support guy (I think) was thinking of a much older unit where certain local network problems have been found to cause problems.

Humax and freesat are known to monitor these forums so exact details rather than "all recordings this afternoon failed" may lead to quicker resolution. As a software designer and tester some years ago I would suggest you include all details including the channel that it is tuned to.

Yes, spoke to Humax Technical support and explained I had a 1000S.

This afternoon was C5 (Neighbours) and BBC1, C4 yesterday evening between 20:00 - 22:00. They are all series link recordings.

I have now cleared all my recordings and reprogrammed them. Will see if this works. If not, will return the box back to John Lewis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Yes, spoke to Humax Technical support and explained I had a 1000S.

This afternoon was C5 (Neighbours) and BBC1, C4 yesterday evening between 20:00 - 22:00. They are all series link recordings.

I have now cleared all my recordings and reprogrammed them. Will see if this works. If not, will return the box back to John Lewis.

The rest of us thank you for your pioneering work in helping to debug these beta units. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member

I've only recorded a couple of timed recordings myself so far, ie. a couple of films and both have recorded okay.

AAMOI... whats the story with channel 407 ?, as when I input 407 it comes up 'Channel not available'
    Just curious...lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lunar524 wrote: »
    I've only recorded a couple of timed recordings myself so far, ie. a couple of films and both have recorded okay.

AAMOI... whats the story with channel 407 ?, as when I input 407 it comes up 'Channel not available'
    Just curious...lol

Channel 407 is on the freesat home transponder on Eutelsat28A at 28.5E. All freesat boxes need reliable access to this transponder. If you can't get it your box won't work properly.

It's usually a dish alignment issue.

Try these channels which are on adjacent transponders.

135 CBS Reality
    403 Food Network
    404 Food Network + 1
    140 BET (Black Entertainment TV)
    509 Zing TV
    206 RT
    401 INFORMATION TV
    515 Vintage TV
    211 CCTV-NEWS
    308 UMP Movies
    690 Inspiration TV
    694 God Channel
    696 TBN EUROPE
    851 Netplay TV
    Forum Member
    Thx for the reply. Yes I believe I get all those channels but not 407 just says unavailabe... though it doesn't appear to affect the working of the box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thx for the reply. Yes I believe I get all those channels but not 407 just says unavailabe... though it doesn't appear to affect the working of the box.

Next time there is a channel line up change or a ota software update it's likely your box won't pick it up.
    Forum Member

Next time there is a channel line up change or a ota software update it's likely your box won't pick it up.

signal quality is around 95% on most channels, mainly due to fact we have a 65mm dish fitted, though it was originally set/tweaked for Sky... so are you saying the dish may just be off alignment a touch.

I'll try another full search, it just occured to me.. I may have inadvertantly deleted it when pruning out channels I'll never watch...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    signal quality is around 95% on most channels, mainly due to fact we have a 65mm dish fitted, though it was originally set/tweaked for Sky... so are you saying the dish may just be off alignment a touch.

I'll try another full search, it just occured to me.. I may have inadvertantly deleted it when pruning out channels I'll never watch...

If it was there and viewable and then deleted it, that would explain it :D
    Forum Member

Have had the box exchanged by the nice folks at John Lewis no failed recordings... Thus far. Will keep you posted.
    Forum Member

Yes.. thats exactly what I'd done..lol 407 is Fashion One channel.. and I would not be watching that so it gets deleted..lol.. signal strength/quality is around 95%.
    I tend to delete all the channels I know I'd never watch, I also delete all the radio channels too, as I have Dab radio's for that job.. just think it makes the EPG more managable and in theory possibly faster but I dont think it does..lol

On the subject of EPG I still don't like that delay when scrolling a page at a time, I can only assume it's not being buffered. So I hope that improves with updates too.

Pleased that the original poster 'justnj' managed to sort his problem out by changing the box, strange though. I've done several timed recordings including split programs with news breaks ect. and so far no issues, so hopefully it was indeed just a iffy box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the subject of EPG I still don't like that delay when scrolling a page at a time, I can only assume it's not being buffered. So I hope that improves with updates too.:)

I think that's correct. I have noticed if you bring up the guide straight after a boot there are sometimes gaps in the epg that take a short time to populate.
    Forum Member
    I think that's correct. I have noticed if you bring up the guide straight after a boot there are sometimes gaps in the epg that take a short time to populate.

sorry OP for going OT a bit.

So Graham I assume they are only loading one page at a time into the flash mem buffer, IOW the whole of the EPG listings is stored on the drive as maybe not enough room to store the whole EPG in it's 1mb of nand memory.

Makes you wonder how Sky do it on their HD boxes, because ours was almost instant when scrolling though their EPG.
    I suspect it's likely due to the OS as HTML5 scripting is probably slower than say something written in low level like assembler language.. not that many people use that these days... otherwise Windows 7 would have fit on a few floppies again...lol
    Forum Member
    All the recording I've done so far have been okay, at least until last night with a 1hr program on 5 US, it was about 1min late starting and stopped about 2 mins from the end.

I changed it from Auto and am trying the 2 mins padding either end see if that helps. I assume in this manual mode recording are made purely on 'clock time' and not a signal from the broadcaster.

Also, anyone noticed any strange behavour with aspect ratio, occasionally it outputs 4/3 on programs which I know are 16/9 and indeed show in wide format on my old HDR 500 and a media box I have. Not all programs just the odd few, if I set the TV's aspect to auto it will zoom and fill the screen but then I cannot see the volume on the right side, so I've left the TV at 16/9... just a observation.