Options

The Last Ship - UK Pace

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would have been more interesting if the "HMS Suffolk" had turned out to be a real British ship rather than just the Russians trying to pull a fast one
  • Options
    hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    A couple of predictions

Captain Grumpy and Sexy British Scientist Woman will end up knowing each other (in the biblical sense) even though she turns out to be a wrong 'un

The XO will at some point attempt a mutiny
    I did have a look at the plot synopsis for the original novel on wikipedia and your second guess is pretty much spot. And your first guess was a major plot point - sort of;-) How much the tv show will follow the book I have no idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hardeep wrote: »
    I did have a look at the plot synopsis for the original novel on wikipedia and your second guess is pretty much spot. And your first guess was a major plot point - sort of;-) How much the tv show will follow the book I have no idea.
    Well, having just had a look at that synopsis in the book the Americans and Russian team up rather that fight each other so that's a major depature.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show will be better on dvd when you can watch it all at once. Its hard to follow one episode a week
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode one had two men with rifles vs three helicopter gunships...and the helicopters lost.
    Major insult to the viewer's intelligence before we have properly started.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A crew member we hadn't heard of before was killed just moment after having talked about his honeymoon. Reminded me of this old Punt and Dennis routine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHGYdOQhu2g
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the first two episodes were terrible, but the third one was a bit better. I'm still not sure why the Russians were shooting at the scientist lady in the Arctic, or why they couldn't just collect some of the primordial virus themselves from the same spot. Or, for that matter, how having the primordial virus helps you find a cure for the recent mutated virus that is actually infecting everyone.

From the first two episodes it seemed like the big problem was going to be a lack of jeopardy. Virus killed everyone, but that happened offscreen. Our characters are safe and sound on a boat in the middle of the ocean, well isolated from the virus. They also have a BFO battleship. When they need to fight Al-Qaeda or whomever, they just have to decide which sized missile to use to blow them up with. And they shouldn't be fighting with the Russians at all, since for humanitarian reason a cure should be for everyone, and scientists share science. The third episode addressed a lot of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I
    And they shouldn't be fighting with the Russians at all, since for humanitarian reason a cure should be for everyone, and scientists share science. The third episode addressed a lot of this.

To be fair the Russians haven't really given them much choice

Just out of interest Ravil Isyanov who plays Admiral Ruskov served in the Soviet Air Force for two years as part of his national service
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I say, that was addressed in the third episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Like I say, that was addressed in the third episode.

However it did seem to me that some of Ruskov's officers were a bit uncomfortable about some of the orders he was giving so there may be an option of a mutiny
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope that guy who was talking about god doesn't turn into a tub-thumping Bible-basher
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might as well wait for Sky One to show this as not to long to wait.
    And got into season 1 a few months back.
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was one of my favourite views last year. Cheesy in places but easy to watch, interesting characters and lots going on.

I've just watched the Sky on demand repeat of season 1 and ready for series 2!
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloody fantastic - it starts when I'm away for the summer...... the SKY + box is going to be full when I get back.... :o:o:o:D
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 2 episode 1 available On Demand on Sky1 Preview now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or did Captain Grumpy pronounce Norfolk the wrong way at the end of episode 2?
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or did Captain Grumpy pronounce Norfolk the wrong way at the end of episode 2?

Guess Norfolk Virginnia, so may be right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope we aren't getting that old post-apocalyptic cliche of religious nutters....
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just out of interest Ravil Isyanov who plays Admiral Ruskov served in the Soviet Air Force for two years as part of his national service

And to be fairer, it wasn't really "The Russians" as in government, it was a rogue Russian element out for their own power. People like that don't freely share.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Completely missed that this was back!

Better start downloading :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So basically the Ramsey brothers and the crew of the HMS Dick Van Dyke will be this season's Big Bad??
  • Options
    TishtoshtessTishtoshtess Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    British crew member asks a question, "mind your P's & Q's". Doesn't that mean "please and thankyou" ? If you're gonna use terrible cockney rhyming slang at least make sure its correct.

I still enjoy this programme, despite all its flaws. Its easy to watch and you can always assume that the Americans will come out on top, because, ya'no, America. Half of the scenes could be replaced with clips of Team America and it'd all still make sense!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still enjoy this programme, despite all its flaws. Its easy to watch and you can always assume that the Americans will come out on top, because, ya'no, America. Half of the scenes could be replaced with clips of Team America and it'd all still make sense!

Very true.... only two ships from other nations have been seen and they've both turned out to be crewed by wrong 'uns
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any idea why Sky One are breaking the season up?