New Series - Dark Matter (UK Pace)

Not sure if it's in the UK yet, but it's Sci-Fi so I posted here.

Space crew wake up in their ship due to an emergency and none of them have any recollection who they are or what they doing in the craft. First episode was pretty good.

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About two threads down from this one ..

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2081248
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davewood wrote: »
    Not sure if it's in the UK yet, but it's Sci-Fi so I posted here.

Starts tonight in the UK on SyFy at 8pm.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming this will be the UK pace thread then?

I quite enjoyed the first episode.
    A good ending to get the channel execs and viewers interested to what happens next.

Are they really who the android says they are? It could be false data.
    And the young girl - she wasn't listed and said she had 'somebody's dreams'. Is she also an android? Is that where the other one is getting the data from?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched it........thought it was OK

Apart from the trendy current vogue of filming everything with no lights on.........turn some effing lights on !

I'll stick with it for sure as long as they find the light switch by episode 2

I can see the Firefly vibe that's been mentioned.........the gun toting redneck, the young girl who fixes all the machinery and the android is a bit like Summer Glau's character.......and the 'wild west' planet they land on

the above were my musings on the US pace thread but I'm happy to post in a UK pace one instead..........
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first episode was an effective piece of Sci-Fi in my view. Not wildly original or anything but pretty good.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't a bad opening but there was nothing new or exciting about it.

I'll give it a few episodes to 'bed in' as some shows are slow burners initially.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, since this seems to be the default UK pace.

Also definitely got the Firefly vibe too.

What's the deal with the big door? Is it something to do with the odd one out teenager?

Think I'll stick with it for a few eps to see where it goes.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Ok, since this seems to be the default UK pace.

Also definitely got the Firefly vibe too.

What's the deal with the big door? Is it something to do with the odd one out teenager?
    Alternatively, as they've been wiped then maybe it is something completely different. Or perhaps it is a kick ass weapon which they've stolen to stop it getting into the wrong hands as they didn't like being the raza.
    Think I'll stick with it for a few eps to see where it goes.
    Well if it is true that they are the raza(?) then it could be some kick ass weapon used to kill off planets/civilisations.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    I was happy to watch it when I saw it was a Mallozzi and Mullie production as Stargate is one of my all-time fave shows.

It was okay. It will be interesting to see where they go from here. I don't suppose for a second they'll all go back to being completely bad as that wouldn't be nice to see.
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this repeated. ? Missed the first ep
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this repeated. ? Missed the first ep
    Repeated on Sunday 8PM. Think I might try watching it again as I lost interest 30 minutes in.
    Forum Member
    In that case I apologise for spoiling the ending for you :blush:
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I just got round to watching this yesterday. Looks like a nice bunch of intriguing characters. Has potential, I reckon.

The android is Bo's girlfriend in Lost Girl. Took me a second to place her :D
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Are they really who the android says they are? It could be false data.
    And the young girl - she wasn't listed and said she had 'somebody's dreams'. Is she also an android? Is that where the other one is getting the data from?

I thought the same. The evidence could have been planted by whoever messed with their memories. This has all the signs of some big lab experiment!

On the other hand, it could be real. I doubt we'll find out for sure any time soon!

With respect to the girl's dreams: they may be somebody else's dreams but they may actually have been her memories and this is evidence that she used to be as bad as the rest of them!
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Well if it is true that they are the raza(?) then it could be some kick ass weapon used to kill off planets/civilisations.

A mini Death Star? :D
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I thought the same. The evidence could have been planted by whoever messed with their memories. This has all the signs of some big lab experiment!

On the other hand, it could be real. I doubt we'll find out for sure any time soon!

With respect to the girl's dreams: they may be somebody else's dreams but they may actually have been her memories and this is evidence that she used to be as bad as the rest of them!

May be a stow-away. The cause of the mind wipe? The owner of the necklace?

Questions answered in the last episode?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only actor I recognised was the black guy who was Travis in Continuum

In fact he appeared to be playing Travis here as well.......:D

I don't think the aim of the mission was to destroy the planet with a mega weapon............they wanted the mineral resources on the planet so there'd be no point destroying it or killing all the miners.
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    The only actor I recognised was the black guy who was Travis in Continuum
    And has been in a few other series I have enjoyed.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was happy to watch it when I saw it was a Mallozzi and Mullie production as Stargate is one of my all-time fave shows.

It was okay. It will be interesting to see where they go from here. I don't suppose for a second they'll all go back to being completely bad as that wouldn't be nice to see.

i was the opposite personally. even though i really enjoyed stargate and watched every season plus atlantis and universe it was always just good imo, rarerly amazing. and also very light hearted in tone.

but dark matter seems different in tone so far so i am happy, i really liked the twist at the end and will be tuning in for episode 2 for sure. i just hope the flesh out characters alot more, yeh its a pilot but not loving any of them just yet!

also its great to have some old school sci-fi back on telly! i missed spaceships!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brand new episode tonight, Ep2 at 8pm.
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i was the opposite personally. even though i really enjoyed stargate and watched every season plus atlantis and universe it was always just good imo, rarerly amazing. and also very light hearted in tone.
    Another reason I liked it! We're obviously very different; which is fine, of course :)
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're going to run out of cliches & tropes at this rate. :D

There is just nothing new or exciting here. Most sci-fi series end up doing a 'magnificent 7' episode but they tend to be slightly more subtle and don't normally use it as their opening gambit. I can see why - it sets up the 'universe' and shows the different factions. And shows off the 7 new characters. But was it the best way to do it? And why stretch it over 2 episodes?

It feels very, very dated. And lazy. The bar has been raised & Dark Matter doesn't cut the mustard any more :(

I was going to give it a few episodes to bed in but I don't think there is enough here to bother with. I'll go one more episode as long as there isn't anything else on. But I'm not very hopeful :)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The show should be called 'Doesn't Matter'. LOL
    Forum Member
    Well I'm enjoying it. I like stories of heroism and helping the helpless. It used to be a common theme but, these days, everybody wants to subvert things so that the bad guys aren't really so bad or the good guys aren't really so good. Or you can't tell which is which.

Sometimes I like to just see a bunch of clearly good guys doing clearly good things in a kick-ass way!

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned :p

Having said that, it seems they used to be bad and obviously there is an intriguing mystery going on about their memories and what happened to them. There's still plenty to explore and discover about what's going on so I'm really happy with how it's going up till now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it as well..........apart from the lack of light

Just one thing though.......that Commander of the Corporation ship obviously knew who they were and what their mission was

Couldn't they just have asked him to fill in the gaps as to their backgrounds.......if he represented their employer his ship's database would probably have all their personal info on file
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Just one thing though.......that Commander of the Corporation ship obviously knew who they were and what their mission was

Couldn't they just have asked him to fill in the gaps as to their backgrounds.......if he represented their employer his ship's database would probably have all their personal info on file

I really don't think they'd want to advertise the fact that they'd all lost their memories and didn't know what they were doing. The word would spread and it would be seen as a great opportunity to cash in on their bounties!