Tom Baker and John Nathan-Turner

Peter_Wilson6Peter_Wilson6 Posts: 18
Forum Member
Was their relationship really that bad? And does anyone have stories about them behind set?

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They didn't get on making the 18th Season. Baker was unhappy with the changes JNT wanted. They became friends some years after Baker left.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was definitely some bad feeling between them after JNT became head showrunner in August 1980.

Tom found it increasingly difficult to warm to JNT and his plans to 'reboot' the show, starting with a completely new title sequence and theme tune.

Also, JNT wanted Tom to wear an all burgundy colour outfit.

Halfway through filming the 1980/81 series, Tom decided that he'd had enough and said to JNT something along the lines of "I'll finish filming this current season, then I'd like to go at the end of it, with someone else taking on the role of the Doctor after that."

Apparently, Lalla Ward didn't take Tom's decision to leave very well either, so that's one reason why she left, two stories before the end.

And JNT didn't like K9. He didn't see the point of a robot dog in the show, so K9 was written out, with only occasional appearances after that. K9 & Company in 1981, The Five Doctors in 1983, Dimensions in Time in 1993, School Reunion in 2006, Journey's End in 2008 and Sarah Jane Adventures between 2007 and 2011.

There was a spin-off show called K9, created by Bob Baker of DW fame. It only lasted for one series in 2010/11. There wasn't any call for a second series as the viewing figures weren't all that high.

The series is set in London, in the year 2050, featuring the original K9 Mark 1 that stayed on Gallifrey with Leela. He looked slightly different in this series, as direct links to DW were not allowed as it wasn't a BBC production.

This is what Wiki says, and I quote:

"K-9 Mark I follows the villainous reptilian warrior Jixen who come through a space-time portal created by the professor's experiments and saves the Londoners. While protecting them, K-9 is forced to self-destruct, but is able to give Starkey instructions to rebuild and regenerate himself into a more advanced form."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Ward was told her contract wasnt being renewed before Baker told JNT he was leaving. JNT had always planned to remove Romana and K9, Baker going was serendipitous to his plans.
  • OnemilescarfOnemilescarf Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    In the same vein of:

Stanley Kubrick and Adam Sandler
    Queen Elizabeth I and Princess Beatrice of York
    Winston Churchill and George W Bush
    Admiral Horatio Nelson and General Custer
    Ferdinand Magellan and Francesco Schettino
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.