Options

At What Age.....

snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
Forum Member
✭✭✭
At what age did you think your parents were an embarrassment to you?

Of course this could be anything from zero to never. Interesting to see the responses.

Comments

• Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I've ever felt my parents were an embarrassment to me. My Dad was the cool Dad, a musician, a jazz musician, going to gigs with him, hanging out with other musicians, that felt great.

Even as a teenager, I hung out with my parents a lot, my brothers did too.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother was always ill from me being a 7 year old until she died when I was 30 (she was 56.)
    I never knew my father but my step father was a drunk and was a total embarrassment all the time that i knew him...right up until his death!
    The world has been a better place without him!
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Never - dad died when I was 4, didn't live with my mother from age of 8 and a half.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really my dad can be a bit over enthusiastic on the dance floor though Saturday Night Fever style.
  • Options
    HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I felt they were embarrassing when I was around 14-16/17.

Then I went away to uni at 18 and grew up, and stopped being a spoilt selfish teen.

Now my parents are my best friends. As a teenager you don't appreciate them for who they are, and what they do for you, but obviously at that age you think you know everything.

It's only looking back you realise how embarrasing you must have been for them! And that they were saints for putting up with you.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been embarrassed by them but I began to feel like my interests were diverging in my early teens. But I also didn't do a lot of things that my peers did so I've never felt that far apart from my parent's interests.
  • Options
    coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite young. My mum's from Austria and got words mixed up, calling magpies bagpipes, for example. My friends sniggered and I'd cringe.
    That's all in the past now.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    Really young. If they acted the same as they did when I was growing up I imagine it took about 3 hours after birth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite young. My mum's from Austria and got words mixed up, calling magpies bagpipes, for example. My friends sniggered and I'd cringe.
    That's all in the past now.

:-D Is it ok for me to laugh at that now?
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When boys started to ring the house and my mother used to tell them I was in bed as bedtime was seven o'clock ! :blush: bless........:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Hahahaha they sound fun. :D

Luckily one half of the parenting nightmare decided to pop his clogs relatively early into his life. He still managed to mess me up before he died though.
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never really known my dad but I was embarrased by my mum in my teens.Not for anything she did but because I didnt want girls thinking I was a mummy's boy as I was when I was a kid and used to get bullied for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Sorry didn't mean to undermine your experience.

You didn't :)
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a parent I consider it my job to embarrass my children on a regular basis, It builds character.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was never embarrassed by them, but I did leave home at 16
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can never remember being embarrassed by my parents when I was younger but I have had a few experiences lately with my mum where I wanted the ground to swallow me up. I won't go into detail as it would make her sound awful when she really isn't but as she has gotten older, it's like her filter has completely gone and she says things in quite a loud voice that shouldn't be said. It's not even like I can just laugh it off as the stuff she says can be really offensive to people. I've tried to talk to her about it but she keeps saying things anyway and sadly it's getting to the point now that we sometimes avoid taking her places with us if we know it could trigger certain remarks. I feel awful being embarrassed about her but it really is that bad.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    When I was about 8 and they did a slow dance!!!!!! Oh the pain!

But they obviously didn't embarrass me THAT often, as I remember that situation so clearly!

I'm lucky that my mum and dad are fab :-).
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    The only time I was really embarrassed was when my Dad would pick me up in his line dancing gear at school.
    I'm not sure you would get away these days turning up to school with replica guns and a 9 inch bowie knife on your belt.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Double post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    As a parent I consider it my job to embarrass my children on a regular basis, It builds character.

:D Very good.