Options

National treasure?

victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is the definition of a national treasure that I keep seeing in the media & does everyone have to agree for the person to have this title?

Comments

• Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    An actual national treasure for me is someone widely regarded as an all-round, admired and respected good egg - an example would be David Attenborough.

The media casually bestows 'national treasure' status on all sorts of people though who are not, in reality, remotely held in that light by a majority.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    An actual national treasure for me is someone widely regarded as an all-round, admired and respected good egg - an example would be David Attenborough.

The media casually bestows 'national treasure' status on all sorts of people though who are not, in reality, remotely held in that light by a majority.

Whilst the phrase "national treasure" irks me, David Attenborough would be a prime example of someone who would be rather deserving of the title. Cheryl Cole being the most laughable example of someone who has somehow received the label.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,245
    Forum Member
    danielleh wrote: »
    Whilst the phrase "national treasure" irks me, David Attenborough would be a prime example of someone who would be rather deserving of the title. Cheryl Cole being the most laughable example of someone who has somehow received the label.

Peter Andre along with Cherylwhateverhername is as the most ludicrous example of being hailed as a National Treasure. :p

Only today in the thread about him appearing on Strictly, one demented fan described him as, "Brave, courageous, and a man who loves his kids like no other!" :D
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A national treasure should be a building, like the National Gallery or Buck House - not a person.

It's a totally naff, trite phrase dragged out time and again by people with zero imagination and a very poor vocab, who can only talk in boring cliches!

So over used and so meaningless ^_^
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    Peter Andre along with Cherylwhateverhername is as the most ludicrous example of being hailed as a National Treasure. :p

Only today in the thread about him appearing on Strictly, one demented fan described him as, "Brave, courageous, and a man who loves his kids like no other!" :D

That was eye-rolling sarcasm, Walter!

*looks forward to The Prumeister's reaction to being called a demented fan* :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was eye-rolling sarcasm, Walter!

*looks forward to The Prumeister's reaction to being called a demented fan* :D

Well, anyone who comes out with that load of old codswallop shouldn't expect anything else. :p
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, anyone who comes out with that load of old codswallop shouldn't expect anything else. :p

Yes. I was being ENTIRELY serious.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes. I was being ENTIRELY serious.:D

I should have checked your profile first, and I would have realised just how "serious" you were being. ;-)
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should have checked your profile first, and I would have realised just how "serious" you were being. ;-)

But he DOES love his kids:p
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    A national treasure should be a building, like the National Gallery or Buck House - not a person.

It's a totally naff, trite phrase dragged out time and again by people with zero imagination and a very poor vocab, who can only talk in boring cliches!

So over used and so meaningless ^_^
    Agree with this. The only humans who could possibly be described as such are great artists, scientists, philanthropists, heroes, humanitarians, pioneers who are long dead and of whom shameful secrets haven't since emerged à la Ted Heath, Jimmy Savile etc...

So, not Cilla Black - no.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As per Les Dawson
    I said to my wife, 'Treasure' - I always call her Treasure, she reminds me of something that's just been dug up.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/peoplejokes/comedianjokes/lesdawsonjokes.html
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In cases like Rolf Harris, you could define it cynically as something with a resplendent myth, but whose reality is long buried from public sight.
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think generally they have to have been "around" for a very long time, sustaining their popularity from decade to decade and of course, there mustn't have been [too much] scandal about them.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    aggs wrote: »

That site made me chuckle :D

I agree with consensus, David Attenborough is a prime example as someone who has given much to the British public. Stephen Hawking (a crying shame he doesn't have a knighthood), has added so much to UK science. Maybe to a limited extent Terry Wogan, yes hes showbiz and all that, however hes really given a lot back to a country he classes as home.

Now someone who isn't a national treasure had her public farewell today, I could say something nasty about her, yet there is a thread all about this lady.

TBH I think national treasure applies to individuals who have given so much to the British public, we become fond of them, Morcombe and Wise I would certainly say are up there. Crucially mind you, no one (that I know of) thinks Chezza is a national treasure....plus where I come from people have a vendetta against her.

Its pleasing that most people do reserve that for people of genuine importance no matter what those on the telly or in the papers say.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the ordinary, hard working, everyday, British man and woman, are this country's national treasure and always have been. I don't count any overpaid, over blown celebs, in that.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone like trevor Mcdonald :)
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone know who started it? I first remember it being applied to John Thaw by a co-star in an interview about 15 years ago. I think it might have been Sarah Lancashire.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Her name's Cheryl Fernandez-Versini now. Anyway, yes...Cheryl's not a national treasure. A national treasure would be someone who's legendary, and maybe oldish as well.
  • Options
    ellesworthellesworth Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl's an irritating bint who has become a parody of herself. If she's a "national treasure" then I don't want to live in this country anymore!
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Cheryl known as the Nation's Sweetheart rather than National Treasure? Either way there was no national vote for this title so I don't know why the media labeled her this title on the nation's behalf.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "They can't tell the difference between sh*t and shinola"
  • Options
    stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the latest treasure is Cilla Black.
    It been said on here and various other sites, that privately she was a nasty piece of work ( Ask cabin crew and people in the service industry )
    Some say it's trolls, but surely, if people from different walks of life have some stories about her attitude towards them, there must be some truth in it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Isn't Cheryl known as the Nation's Sweetheart rather than National Treasure? Either way there was no national vote for this title so I don't know why the media labeled her this title on the nation's behalf.

She has never been known as the Nation's Sweetheart, that honour belongs to Dame Vera Lynn, who was also known as the Forces Sweetheart during the last war.

Dame Vera is still alive and kicking at the grand old age of 98, as far as I know she still has that title. :)
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    I think until recently the phrase may have applied to Cliff Richard.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Crown Jewels.