Hamster Hibernation

LilaLila Posts: 6,780
Forum Member
Has anyone on here had a hamster go into hibernation?? Do they curl up & can their eyes be open when doing so?? Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Lifted from a hamster care sheet, hope it helps

Syrian Hamsters can hibernate when there is a sudden change in their environment ie sudden temperature drop, lack of water, etc. A hibernating hamster may appear stiff and cold with little evidence of breathing and many owners have assumed a hibernating hamster to be dead at first.

Careful observation will reveal that the whiskers continue to twitch at intervals if the hamster is hibernating. Due to the fact that hamsters do not 'plan' to hibernate but it is induced by a sudden environment change they should be roused to avoid dehydration and starvation.

The hamster should be placed in a warm room or the temperature of the room increased slightly. The hamster should not be placed near a fire or on a radiator or anywhere in extreme heat. As the hamster begins to rouse the hamster will start to shake and tremble, the body temperature will gradually rise and the twitching of the whiskers will increase. Full arousal from hibernation can often take between 30 and 60 minutes.

Once the hamster is active plenty of food and water should be available and the hamster should be left quietly.

Dwarf Hamsters deal much better with colder temperatures than Syrian Hamsters and are not known to hibernate.
  • LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    Jetty wrote: »
    Lifted from a hamster care sheet, hope it helps

Syrian Hamsters can hibernate when there is a sudden change in their environment ie sudden temperature drop, lack of water, etc. A hibernating hamster may appear stiff and cold with little evidence of breathing and many owners have assumed a hibernating hamster to be dead at first.

Careful observation will reveal that the whiskers continue to twitch at intervals if the hamster is hibernating. Due to the fact that hamsters do not 'plan' to hibernate but it is induced by a sudden environment change they should be roused to avoid dehydration and starvation.

The hamster should be placed in a warm room or the temperature of the room increased slightly. The hamster should not be placed near a fire or on a radiator or anywhere in extreme heat. As the hamster begins to rouse the hamster will start to shake and tremble, the body temperature will gradually rise and the twitching of the whiskers will increase. Full arousal from hibernation can often take between 30 and 60 minutes.

Once the hamster is active plenty of food and water should be available and the hamster should be left quietly.

Dwarf Hamsters deal much better with colder temperatures than Syrian Hamsters and are not known to hibernate.

Thankyou. Yeah I had read that online. I am just being paranoid. Just had someone stirring it putting ideas in my head after the event (died on Saturday). She was my 5th hamster over the years I think I should know by now. Thanks again. :)
  • angelic_mishaangelic_misha Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had three hamsters, and they haven't hibernated on me, but my current one, Charlie, is getting older and spends a lot of time sleeping. I keep getting scared that he might be hibernating in his house cos it's so cold, so I keep looking through his chimney for signs of life. I've heard that placing a hibernating hammy on a hot water bottle helps too (though obviously not directly, more like placing a towel on the bottle then the hamster).