Options

Driving ID

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
Forum Member
:mad: Ok so this may not make any sense because I am very annoyed.

I have never learnt to drive, due to lack of finance and circumstances. I have also never been abroad. This is no big deal to me, more important things in life etc.

Well I now thought it was time to do something for myself for a change (urged on by my family). So I decided to apply for a provisional driving licence. Easier said than done!

I don't have a passport and so I need to prove my ID.
My birth certificate (obviously) has my maiden name on it, I have a divorce certificate with my previous married name and my current wedding certificate with my name now.

I don't have anything that links my birth certificate/ maiden name to me now.

It has all got very confusing and the form doesn't seem to make provision for this, so I went to the post office for the "check and send " service and she wouldn't even look at the form because I don't have a passport. No help or advice or anything.

I thought it might be easier just to apply for a passport first. I don't want a passport so begrudge paying for one but thought about it just for ID. Yet again because I have never had a passport it is not straight forward. I need to provide my parents details and a third person has to verify who I am and be willing to put their passport details down.

Has anyone else got any experience/advice :confused:

I feel like either my head is going to explode or I should just give up the thought of learning to drive :cry:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad: Ok so this may not make any sense because I am very annoyed.

I have never learnt to drive, due to lack of finance and circumstances. I have also never been abroad. This is no big deal to me, more important things in life etc.

Well I now thought it was time to do something for myself for a change (urged on by my family). So I decided to apply for a provisional driving licence. Easier said than done!

I don't have a passport and so I need to prove my ID.
    My birth certificate (obviously) has my maiden name on it, I have a divorce certificate with my previous married name and my current wedding certificate with my name now.

I don't have anything that links my birth certificate/ maiden name to me now.

It has all got very confusing and the form doesn't seem to make provision for this, so I went to the post office for the "check and send " service and she wouldn't even look at the form because I don't have a passport. No help or advice or anything.

I thought it might be easier just to apply for a passport first. I don't want a passport so begrudge paying for one but thought about it just for ID. Yet again because I have never had a passport it is not straight forward. I need to provide my parents details and a third person has to verify who I am and be willing to put their passport details down.

Has anyone else got any experience/advice :confused:

I feel like either my head is going to explode or I should just give up the thought of learning to drive :cry:

Do you have your original marriage certificate? I've never been married but would assume it would have your maiden name on it? You should easily be able to get a copy of it from the registrar, altho you may have to pay for the privilege.

How much does it cost for a passport?? Should be easy enough to get someone who knows you, and is in a position of authority to certify your ID along with your parents details to complete a passport application.

All the beuracracy costs money I'm afraid
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you do get your ID sorted out, bare in mind that you will still need to get someone to certify your photo for you like you would if you were getting a passport.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078281
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get your doctor, lawyer or accountant to verify who you are. There may be other professions too, but those are the ones I know. They may charge, but they'll also be used to doing it. If its also a friend/family they'll probably do it for free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have got my photo signed by my sons physio and she put her details on the driving licence form. I don't have my first marriage certificate, I will get a copy though that has to be cheaper and easier than getting a passport.

I just got wound up by it all and then couldn't think straight:o
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vermin wrote: »
    You can get your doctor, lawyer or accountant to verify who you are. There may be other professions too, but those are the ones I know. They may charge, but they'll also be used to doing it. If its also a friend/family they'll probably do it for free.

Almost any Bank employee can sign, or a company director - even if it's a back street garage! Also a vicar, MP, councillor, policeman, magistrate......
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me you're kidding, you are shelling out £75 to get a unneeded passport to prove who you are to get a Provisional Driving licence ?

Hells Bells, there must be another way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tell me you're kidding, you are shelling out £75 to get a unneeded passport to prove who you are to get a Provisional Driving licence ?

Hells Bells, there must be another way.

It was an idea, but I would rather just get the driving licence. Wish I had just got one years ago before it got this difficult.

You tell people you don't have a driving licence or passport and they think you are from another planet.

It was even worse when I didn't have a bank card, I actually quickly flashed a library card at a band official once and they accepted it as ID, cos they thought it was a credit card :eek::D