Options

How do you make lasagne properly?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I used to make a good lasagne but lately I cannot eat it as it tastes too chewy. I bought a good lasagne dish yesterday and all the ingredients and done it the way the recipe said, i think i maybe putting too many pasta strips on, do you just put about 3 lasagne strips or do you cover the gaps so they over lap. You know it is sauce,strip and then white sauce and so on. i love a fresh lasagne, but mine seems inedible, why?

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Are you using fresh or dried sheets?
    You should blanch the dried sheets, even the ones that say they are quick cook and don't require it.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've completely gone off supermarket own brand lasagne sheets because they've got thicker and tougher. Been making lasagne for donkey's years and I noticed a definite change. I decided to use Napolina lasagne sheets and they are perfect, and not much dearer - £1.12 in Asda. My dish takes 3 sheets side by side and I don't overlap, and I do use plenty of bechamel sauce to hydrate the layers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I generally find the pasta layers are a bit chewy. they just don't soak up enough moisture.

Haven't had one in ages so this has been a nice reminder. I might even try fresh sheets if the supermarket has any.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never overlap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for the Napolina sheets, much better than supermarket own brand. Just make sure the sheets don't overlap at all and that they are completely covered by sauce.
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    As to the bolognese sauce. Italians will slow simmer it for hours (to soften it all up) but I have a recipe that says to leave it (once assembled) in fridge, with some red wine, overnight. Said to have the same effect. Was very nice, i.e. soft (not tough like some mince can be through high heat or just by being too lean, - need some fat, pancetta is nice).

For a traditional lasagna - Italians don't use bolognese sauce but small meatballs instead - in a tomato sauce!!! I'm from Italian genes!
  • Options
    LarryHillingtonLarryHillington Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you're not cooking it for long enough or you're overlapping.

I usually have three layers and I would never overlap. I usually do it in the oven for about 40 mins at 180. I just use dry pasta sheets. Always use wheat and not egg pasta.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked up the Napolina sheets today but found a lasagne kit when I went for the sauces which has the pasta, bechamel and ragu in a box. Will be trying it out for Sunday dinner. And then again for Monday tea. And possibly Tuesday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Picked up the Napolina sheets today but found a lasagne kit when I went for the sauces which has the pasta, bechamel and ragu in a box. Will be trying it out for Sunday dinner. And then again for Monday tea. And possibly Tuesday.

wow, your like me..dont forget to have some on Saturday night for ya tea :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    wow, your like me..dont forget to have some on Saturday night for ya tea :D

:D Actually I made it tonight instead. So Tuesday. And amybe Wednesday now.

It was delish and no chewy pasta either. Very pleased.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    Sorry but how do you make something TASTE chewy?

'Chewy' is a texture or sensation rather than a flavour/taste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »

DING! DING!

Congratulations. You win pedant of the day. Well done. You should be proud of yourself.
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gizzy77 wrote: »
    DING! DING!

Congratulations. You win pedant of the day. Well done. You should be proud of yourself.

I didn't know there were prizes :( I would have tried more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is probably going to sound daft but does anyone have a recipe for lasagne that isn't TOO cheesy? I personally dislike cheese. I'll only eat mozerella (sp?) on pizza or Red Leceister on toast. Lasagne is one of my OH's fav meals but I've never cooked it for him because the thought of all that cheesy sauce and melted cheese makes me gag. Is there anyway I can cook it less cheesy so I can enjoy it too? He always says he's missing out on his fav meals (Lasagne and Macaroni Cheese) because of my dislike for cheese!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petit-pois wrote: »
    This is probably going to sound daft but does anyone have a recipe for lasagne that isn't TOO cheesy? I personally dislike cheese. I'll only eat mozerella (sp?) on pizza or Red Leceister on toast. Lasagne is one of my OH's fav meals but I've never cooked it for him because the thought of all that cheesy sauce and melted cheese makes me gag. Is there anyway I can cook it less cheesy so I can enjoy it too? He always says he's missing out on his fav meals (Lasagne and Macaroni Cheese) because of my dislike for cheese!
    Leave the cheese out.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    petit-pois wrote: »

Yeah, as degsy says, just leave out the cheese. Just use a basic white sauce and a meat ragu. I'd still put a layer of cheese on top, though, so that it goes golden-brown and bubbly. That's the best bit, but if you don't like it, just peel off the top layer and give it to your OH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can get a similar effect by adding egg yolks to the bechamel for the top layer. Cover in foil to cook through then remove the foil and put the grill setting on if you have it and it will brown nicely.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it true that they don't use Bechemel sauce in Italy for Lasagne?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Yeah, as degsy says, just leave out the cheese. Just use a basic white sauce and a meat ragu. I'd still put a layer of cheese on top, though, so that it goes golden-brown and bubbly. That's the best bit, but if you don't like it, just peel off the top layer and give it to your OH.

Thank you. I'll give that a try. Maybe I'll cover just one half with cheese, then we both win :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Double post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Is it true that they don't use Bechemel sauce in Italy for Lasagne?
    Different regions will have their own recipies.

Here's one that was voted the perfect lasagna on the Good Food programme Perfect...

Lasagna pastachina by Francesco Mazzei
    with aubergine, meat balls and boiled eggs
    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/650378
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »

You put ground up Wookiie in it of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I have no lasagne packet mix, asda didnt have any :(. so would a shepards pie and spaghetti bol packet mix do instead ? I wont be going out now, unless i pop to the corner shop in the morning if they have it..Any one know if that would taste ok ..i know its strange but would it work lol
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I have no lasagne packet mix, asda didnt have any :(. so would a shepards pie and spaghetti bol packet mix do instead ? I wont be going out now, unless i pop to the corner shop in the morning if they have it..Any one know if that would taste ok ..i know its strange but would it work lol

Packet mix to make a lasagne? What do you need a packet mix for? :confused:

You don't need packet mixes to make spag bol or shepherd's pie either! Use seasoning and fresh herbs or dried herbs from your cupboard to add flavour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is surprising. You make lasagna every week and every time you've been using packet mix?