Interesting Sky EPG picture (1997?)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
Hi everyone! :)

I have stumbled on this picture of the Sky EPG. It's interesting to note that it has the Sky 'egg' logo on it and is probably before Sky Digital was launched.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/160000/images/_161218_digital_channel_guide300.jpg

My thoughts that it was from late 1997/early 1998.

I was asking if anyone had more information on this EPG and if there's any more to it...

Thanks,
DigitalTVGuy

Comments

• stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing but has the terrestrial channels not always held 101-105 slot on the epg
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Certainly on Sky Digital yes they have.
    I suspect that's a screenshot from a website rather than from a set-top box EPG.
    :)
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Certainly on Sky Digital yes they have.
    I suspect that's a screenshot from a website rather than from a set-top box EPG.

Could it not be a pre launch test before Sky invited the main 5 PSB channels to take 101-105?
    Forum Member
    Possibly, but I had Sky Digital right from launch, and I don't remember the box EPG ever looking like that.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Possibly, but I had Sky Digital right from launch, and I don't remember the box EPG ever looking like that.

Yes I've had Sky Digital from day 1 as well and it's never looked like that.
    Ian.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the films were about 1996.

The only Tuesday 17th's around then were:

September or December

June

February, March or November

August

Last Man Standing was released in the Cinema October 1996, so i would say this is probably June 1997.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Noticed that the image info modified date of that image is saying
    23 January 2002 17:46:56

But it looks similar to the logos sky had in mid 90s before sky digital launched.
    1995-1997 logo is egg shaped like that.
  • RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Could it not be a pre launch test before Sky invited the main 5 PSB channels to take 101-105?

Certainly seems to be an early one, I wonder does this mean they just had an early mock-up showing the movie channels at 101 as a further push for what digital would bring along with the quantity of channels, or if they were planning a 0-999 style EPG with three-digit inputs not always being needed.
  • chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    It says online Sky Screen 1,

Sky Movies Screen 1 (1 November 1997 until 9 September 1998)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Racket wrote: »
    Certainly seems to be an early one, I wonder does this mean they just had an early mock-up showing the movie channels at 101 as a further push for what digital would bring along with the quantity of channels, or if they were planning a 0-999 style EPG with three-digit inputs not always being needed.

thats a good point there is two options there!
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, if a programme is too long for the EPG, it cuts half of it off and adds ellipses in place of it (see Sense and Sensibility on Sky Gold 1). Independence Day on Sky Screen 6 has it in full, so it seems to be a simple computer mock-up. The top of the guide is also different looking to how it looked in 1998 when it launched so perhaps this is some internal publicity still or something sent to broadcasters to see if they wanted to get on board this new digital version of broadcasting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Interesting stories, keep 'em coming,

For those who want to know, the real v1 Sky EPG looks like this

http://hub.tv-ark.org.uk/images/miscellaneous/images/sky/skyguide_t327b.jpg

I do think that this could have been a mock-up from Tuesday 17th June 1997 (Tuesday 17th June is tomorrow!)

The 2002 thing is probably from when BBC archived the page...
    Forum Member

Thats a sky digital epg with the tick in the logo.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member

I do think that this could have been a mock-up from Tuesday 17th June 1997 (Tuesday 17th June is tomorrow!)

The 2002 thing is probably from when BBC archived the page...

If I remember correctly the early issue Sky Digital Remote Control and Viewing Cards both featured the Sky 'egg' logo despite the EPG having the 'swoosh' logo featured in that screenshot from launch.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To clarify the situation, there were NO digital transmissions until Monday 15 March 1998.

The first mux on air was 11.719 H, (Castle Video) - which became the main BBC mux at the time, 11.797 H being the other.

Sky's own channels first appeared around 1345 on Thursday 18 March 1998, consisting of 10 channels on 11.914 H and 11.934 V - both muxes had the same content

5x Sky News with "DIGITAL TEST TRANSMISSION" at the bottom and 5 "Sky Box Office (type 05) channels - which had 3 Philips 5544 test cards on, and two with just colour bars and no sound.

The first actual official service from Sky Digital was on 22 June 1998. All these tests, and all broadcasts until 30 September 1998 were via Astra 1D.

The names of the movie channels prior to 1 October were

Sky Movies Screen 1
    Sky Movies Screen 1A
    Sky Movies Screen 1B
    Sky Movies Screen 1C
    Sky Movies Screen 2
    Sky Movies Screen 2A
    Sky Movies Screen 2B
    Sky Movies Screen 2C
    Sky Movies Gold
    Sky Movies Gold A

In 1997 the only channels at 28 East were German ones from Kopernikus 2, as well as some Czech Link channels, but no British ones. Therefore this image you originally referred to has to have been a mock up of what they thought it would look like.
    Hope that clears things up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    To clarify the situation, there were NO digital transmissions until Monday 15 March 1998.

The first mux on air was 11.719 H, (Castle Video) - which became the main BBC mux at the time, 11.797 H being the other.

Sky's own channels first appeared around 1345 on Thursday 18 March 1998, consisting of 10 channels on 11.914 H and 11.934 V - both muxes had the same content

5x Sky News with "DIGITAL TEST TRANSMISSION" at the bottom and 5 "Sky Box Office (type 05) channels - which had 3 Philips 5544 test cards on, and two with just colour bars and no sound.

The first actual official service from Sky Digital was on 22 June 1998. All these tests, and all broadcasts until 30 September 1998 were via Astra 1D.

The names of the movie channels prior to 1 October were

Sky Movies Screen 1
    Sky Movies Screen 1A
    Sky Movies Screen 1B
    Sky Movies Screen 1C
    Sky Movies Screen 2
    Sky Movies Screen 2A
    Sky Movies Screen 2B
    Sky Movies Screen 2C
    Sky Movies Gold
    Sky Movies Gold A

In 1997 the only channels at 28 East were German ones from Kopernikus 2, as well as some Czech Link channels, but no British ones. Therefore this image you originally referred to has to have been a mock up of what they thought it would look like.
    Hope that clears things up

That makes sense. I didnt know the BBC were the first on at 28 degrees east!
  • StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it could just be test software from before SkyDigital launched: it's not as though they just designed the EPG the day before. ;)

Thanks for that interesting info, Jimbo, I had no idea the channels had those temporary names.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else remember UK Today instead of the BBC local programmes back then before the regions were on satellite? I remember it being quite slick. It was only on satellite and there was often a message to say press 'TV' and select '1' on your remote control for your local programme.

Edit - here's a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTixsozGXfQ
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    The picture in the original post is from here:)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/161218.stm
    Forum Member
    cyclops12 wrote: »
    The picture in the original post is from here:)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/161218.stm

Nice find

Mention of home banking, think I remember that under the interactive area, never used it.

Where will the money come from?
    If only they could have forseen the future with the sports tv rights and sky becoming a utility with phone/broadband, the big game changers!
  • StueyStuey Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »

I'm not refuting the information there Jimbo but you're slightly out with your days at least. The 15th March 1998 was actually a Sunday and the 18th was a Wednesday not Thursday. ;-)
  • GeemacGeemac Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I seem to recall Sky were testing on 19 east a year or more on Astra 1d before launching their Digital service. This may have been a grab from those tests.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 08/10/23 - 20:46 #24
    Channels with those names did not ever have 101, 102 etc

The movie channels have ALWAYS been in the 300s not the 100s.

100s Entertainment
    300s Movies
    400s Sport
    500s News
    550s Documentaries
    600s Kids
    650s Shopping
    660s Music
    700s Sky Box Office
    900s Adult
    950s BBC Regions

The Press TV then 1' referred to above was not quite right. BBC, Channel 4 (London version only), and Channel 5 were on from the start. I think BBC actually first appeared late May 1998 will have to check. Btw BBC Choice launched on 23 September 1998 with NO VIEWERS because the channel was only at 38 east, and it was not available on cable either, and no digital terrestrial transmissions existed then.

It was ITV that had 'press TV then '3' for ITV that appeared on 103. The channel had no video and audio but had that in the Rog space. It was not there from the start - but maybe some time during 1999, and remained there until ITV launched with 16 regions on 15 November 2001.

Btw the temporary names for movie channels ran from 23 June-30 September 1998. The extra channels were only on air from 1700 each day, and carrying a promo video for the rest of the time.

Sky Movies Screen 1, 1A, 1B, 1C became Sky Moviemax etc and 2,2A, #B, 2C became Sky Movies Premier etc. Do the two channels were swapped round when digital began.

In other words the original Sky Movies became Sky Movies 2/Moviemax, then Sky Movies 5, The Movie Channel became Sky Movies 1 etc,

The original numbers in the summer of 1998 were (I think)

301 Sky Movies Screen 1
    302 Sky Movies Screen 1A
    303 Sky Movies Screen 1B
    304 Sky Movies Screen 1C
    305 Sky Movies Screen 2
    306 Sky Movies Screen 2A
    307 Sky Movies Screen 2B
    308 Sky Movies Screen 2C
    309 Sky Movies Gold
    310 Sky Movies Gold A

And were swapped over on 1 October 1998. 305-8 became 301-4 and visa versa.

When they were later renumbered to just Sky Movies 1-8, Sky movies 9 and 10 were added in 2006 when HD was introduced. These were renamed to Sky Movies HD1 and HD2. Sky movies Wide-screen was on 305 so the original 405-8 became 306-9. 310 and 311 were then the older movies channels.

Later Sky movies 9 became Sky Movies 4 effectively, but thus was when they renamed them to different genres and what had been on 309 moved to 304.

There are 12 movie channels as at one time we had Sky movies 1-10, 9-20 were Wide-screen 1&2, and the firmer Sky Movies Gold got 311 and former Gold A went to 312 but cannot remember the other names they had.

Sky digital tests started on the Thursday lunchtime, BBC castle video started on the Monday on 11729H and 11798H

Hope that helps.
    Forum Member
    Goodness, that's a late reply, the last post in this thread was over nine years ago!
    :D
  • MarkMark Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Geemac wrote: »
    I seem to recall Sky were testing on 19 east a year or more on Astra 1d before launching their Digital service. This may have been a grab from those tests.

Way back in 1998, asrta 1D was flown from 19.2 east to 28.2 east, early tests for digital were via 12 transponders from sky, and also two transponders from crown castle showing bbc, 11.992 h, was the only analogue signal, this was to support installation of early dish set ups, digital was a new thing then, so the analogue role supported dish set up, but it soon went,
    I cant remember exact days and times but when i worked for sky as a dish installer during these times the mini dishes proved much harder to install, rather than the light weight big dishes, as the signal collection is much smaller, the analouge signal aided this enormously. Sound silly today i know, but back then digital was a learning curve, hope this info helps,
    Soon after sky and bbc arrived, flextech arrived, then the first ever free channel cne, or chinese channel.