Couples Come Dine with Me

Comments

• MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to be good 7-8 years ago when it was actually about the food

Now it's all about Dave Lamb, crap food, attention seeking contestants and cringeworthy entertainment

Channel 4 need to give it a break and if they want to bring it back reboot it and make it more focused on food
    That couldn't happen. What self respecting cook would subject themselves to such sarcasm?

Digital Spy is the most widely read TV forum in the UK, so TV executives will be reading here and learning, for free. I ask them then why do you re-commission rubbish, albeit in a slightly different format?
    Come to think of it in light of the above. How come there is never a question and answer, anywhere here from the TV execs who are getting advice from all here?

Show instead the early episodes when Dave Lamb was funny and not the bored bloke reading from a script that he has become. I have heard school kids read with more expression. (Take the money and run Dave, eh?)

I can only think that they dare not show the early episodes for fear of exposure to interference later on. Cats stealing, snakes pooing and generally horrible people, who as Thras says are just wannabees.

I bet the TV execs love reading here but I've never seen them give anything back such as Q&A , have you?
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    Not liking any of them so far.....

Interesting though how people tend to be far more outgoing when they are without their partner/spouse as we see on regular CDWMe.

I've only watched Tuesday's episode, but I would agree that they seem boring compared to the regular CDWM guests. Or as others have said, maybe the producers go out of their way to find weirdos and attention-seekers for the usual format.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    I cant see the reason for doing a couples series. Everyone around the table looks really cramped. 2 at the top and 2 both sides.

Not a lot is being said about it on the FB page. Cant see it making a second series. Go back to the old format much more watchable.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skiprunner wrote: »
    I'm sure that Dawn has been on tv before??

I thought I recognised her too. :cool:
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    CDWM Couples = crap.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    I completely agree. Its a shame too but it has been far too formulaic these days...

Contestants always fall into one of the following categories...

Boring Middle classer
    Acid tongue gay (usually male) / Spiteful Bitch
    I hate all food
    Crazy Eccentric
    Mutton Dressed as Lamb.
    Delusional Hipster Wannabe
    Closet Hysteric

They often fall into two or more categories but you can be sure than none of them can actually cook what they think they can. In the early days there were normal people who could actually cook and the "entertainment" was the actual dinner party.

You missed out:

Asian princess
    Person who thinks they're posh but can't actually hold a knife properly
    Camp homosexual

As you say, the only thing they all have in common is that none of them can cook worth a damn.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I thought I recognised her too. :cool:
    which one was Dawn?

I didn't see the first one but quite enjoyed last night's. the gay couple were sweet, (the corrie tattoos!) and the henpecked hubby couple funny. I was telling OH about her not allowing him bread, OH responded with a sigh "you mean like I'm not allowed liver, kidney etc etc:blush:
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 1980's called. They want their hairstyles and clothing back. :o
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh god this is terrible
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ciaran & Anita straight out of the Muppet Show.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Oh dear they arent new to reality tv :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5n3UlRk5C4

Says they are going to get married?

Heres his twitter id :D

Ciaran James
    @JustAGigoloCJ
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Oh dear they arent new to reality tv :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5n3UlRk5C4

Says they are going to get married?

Looks like they are the new Graham and Ivy. :o
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lawks, it's getting to the stage when C4 won't allow people on reality TV unless they've already done reality TV. The channel is slowly turning into something weird, incestuous and unhealthy. It's turning into...Norfolk!
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Lawks, it's getting to the stage when C4 won't allow people on reality TV unless they've already done reality TV. The channel is slowly turning into something weird, incestuous and unhealthy. It's turning into...Norfolk!

Sooooo true!! Tonight's episode was terrible. I really wanted to tell that stupid couple what for >:( Leave them alone! Just because they're not dry humping each other every 5 minutes doesn't mean they're not in love.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love CDWM but this couples thing was terrible. Ghastly, preening couples, 'hilarious' rude wives, virtually nothing about the actual food and cooking and far too unlikable contestants.

It might have been more interesting if each person in the couple had to do a separate dinner party and they were competing against each other. It didn't work as it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day four and they're already resorting to that time-filling cliche - showing something happening and then having them tell you what happened (taking longer to tell it than it took to show it).
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    gris wrote: »
    I love CDWM but this couples thing was terrible. Ghastly, preening couples, 'hilarious' rude wives, virtually nothing about the actual food and cooking and far too unlikable contestants.

It might have been more interesting if each person in the couple had to do a separate dinner party and they were competing against each other. It didn't work as it was.

Agree, although I also think the voiceover man has become too catty and loud too. I don't remember his voice being quite so loud and affected before, he seems to have taken it up a notch. It's become more about the annoying people on it and his catty comments about the annoying people, than the actual cooking, as you say.
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Memo to channel four
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put this sorry excuse for an off shoot show out of its misery(try saying that with a drink inside you !!)
    It's not even been on a full week and there's a smack of desperation to it every cliche has been already rolled out ...AND ITS ONLY THURSDAY !!!😢
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine that the clips are assembled, a script is written and then Dave Lamb is brought in just to read it, with maybe the odd extra gag. So it's probably the editors who are pushing him to go in that direction. But yes, he's getting increasingly OTT.
    Forum Member
    If you do want an unintentional laugh could I recommend this weeks Hotel inspector Revisited on Channel Filth sorry Five
    Alex revisited a hotel where the owner had the unfortunate nickname of Muff ... The commentary would have been a gift to Dave Lamb
    Double entendres galore Missus !!!
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    OMG tonight's episode is hilarious!! :D Seriously! Even if it's compared to the first 3 episodes or whatever, I laughed out loud tonight :D

Simon... Poor Simon... :D

P.S. Also I'm clearly the only one who thinks there is no such thing as too much Dave Lamb :blush:
    Forum Member
    OMG tonight's episode is hilarious!! :D Seriously! Even if it's compared to the first 3 episodes or whatever, I laughed out loud tonight :D

P.S. Also I'm clearly the only one who thinks there is no such thing as too much Dave Lamb :blush:

Not at all the guy is a legend !!
    Forum Member

If I had been him I would have poured the pan full over her bloody head !!
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried this tonight, wont do that again.

Hated it.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, you're not the only one, he makes the show.

Also I like the new twist of couples, the old format was starting to get boring and needed refreshing up.