Qatar 2022 World Cup, discussion and speculation

O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
Forum Member
It's a bit early, but let's discuss the 2022 World Cup from a football perspective. Who will qualify? will Messi finally lift his country to World Cup glory and take his place amongst the football greats? (assuming he doesn't in Russia) anyone planning on going?

Looking at the various youth levels at the moment, France, Spain and even Brazil look to be in good stead. How will Qatar do? will they have a bunch of naturalised Brazilians and other nationalities in their team by then?

Comments

• rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Messi will be about 36 by then I think. He would have moved back to Argentina most probably.
    Most of the current players would be either retired or at the later stages of their careers so it's a bit early to guess who would play.
    Teams like Germany & Spain could be overtaken by Chile or Columbia as world beaters at football.

The heat will play a huge part IF it's still being held there.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Even at 36 I wouldn't rule Messi out of anything, if he's still playing I wouldn't be surprised if Argentina still saw him as a talisman.

Agree about the heat, fitness levels will be more important than ever. I don't think the tournament will be moved, it's more likely to be moved to winter I think.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a jokey reaction thread to the Euro 2016 one?

If it's not then the best prediction I can make is that the tournament will be won by a European or South American team and I'm not even certain of that but I do like my chances!
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was listening to a football historian this week who has attended the last eight or nine World Cups. He reckons Russia 2018 will be a huge success and will surprise people but has major doubts about Quatar ie. being played in the middle of the desert in blazing heat and in a country with absolutely no football tradition.

The population of Quatar is only 2m and you'd have to wonder if any of them will even attend many of the matches, meaning there will be mainly visiting fans present and perhaps a lot of empty seats.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I know is, it will not be in qatar
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

I have a feeling it will be moved as well. I would just stick all countries with the Infrastructure to host a World Cup in a bowl and pick 1 out.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,554
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it will, but probably in December and January.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it will, but probably in December and January.

That will be the interesting point, which months it will be played in, one thing it surely cannot be in the summer.
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Is this a jokey reaction thread to the Euro 2016 one?

If it's not then the best prediction I can make is that the tournament will be won by a European or South American team and I'm not even certain of that but I do like my chances!

Yes, that is a good prediction, can't see any other continent providing the winner.

It'll be interesting whether it's moved or not, those thinking it will, when do you think it'll be moved and for what purpose that hasn't already been resolved/swept aside. I think they would have moved it by now if they were going to.
    Forum Member
    That will be the interesting point, which months it will be played in, one thing it surely cannot be in the summer.

It won't be in the summer definitely. Players can't play in that heat, people have died doing so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This was never explained to anyone when the voting was being done. The most suspicious aspect for me is that the vote on WC 2022 took place TWELVE years before the event was due to start......what on earth was that all about?
    Forum Member
    If it's moved to winter though I wonder how that will affect the Confederations Cup, surely that is a point worth considering. Will they scrap that competition, or risk altering two seasons instead of just the one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    If it's moved to winter though I wonder how that will affect the Confederations Cup, surely that is a point worth considering. Will they scrap that competition, or risk altering two seasons instead of just the one.

Another point is that the World Cup has *always* been a summer event for people in Europe. One of the reasons why the tournament was a success in the US recently is that large numbers were able to watch it on big screens in open air venues around the country. It's going to be quite bizarre to see the games on mid winter in Europe when it's pitch black and freezing cold. It's quite possible people could have snow outside while the tournament is on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't be in the summer definitely. Players can't play in that heat, people have died doing so.

It's currently about 43 degrees, but could be up to 50 on some days.

The players in Brazil looked awful in just 30 degrees.

Playing in the direct sun in 43 degrees will probably kill you
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    This was never explained to anyone when the voting was being done. The most suspicious aspect for me is that the vote on WC 2022 took place TWELVE years before the event was due to start......what on earth was that all about?

How long is the usual gap between voting and the tournament starting? That does seem rather long. London won the rights for the 2012 Olympics for example, in 2005 which at the time, I thought was ages away but now seems about right.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »

There is also my pet peeve or point, the World Club Championship to consider, so a lot of movement of tournaments will be needed if this World Cup is not to be played in the traditional time frame.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a country has a climate which is unsuitable to host it at the traditional time, they should be excluded from bidding.
    Forum Member
    If a country has a climate which is unsuitable to host it at the traditional time, they should be excluded from bidding.

Or bid on the basis that it will be in winter and see who votes for them.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or bid on the basis that it will be in winter and see who votes for them.

Not many I would expect. Winter World Cup's just aren't worth the massive schedule changes that would be necessary in order to fit them in.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How will it work with the Premier League not having a winter break?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    How will it work with the Premier League not having a winter break?

The Premiership would be forced to take a break at the time of the tournament, maybe for as long as six or seven weeks.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A winter World Cup may actually work in England's favour. It might just be the first time PL players arrive physically fit enough to compete.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greg Dyke before the MP's today

Football Association chairman Greg Dyke will give evidence to MPs on Tuesday regarding the bidding process for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

The Culture Media and Sport (CMS) select committee will also hear from Sunday Times journalists Heidi Blake and Jonathan Calvert.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/21/greg-dyke-qatar-2022-evidence-cms
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The Premiership would be forced to take a break at the time of the tournament, maybe for as long as six or seven weeks.

And lets not forget, doing that will affect the leagues either side of that world cup year - so you will have to change it for THREE years.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    A winter World Cup may actually work in England's favour. It might just be the first time PL players arrive physically fit enough to compete.

Odd how it's only the English Premier League players this valid excuse applies to, right?