new fan for Intel i5 - connections on mobo query

DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need to buy a new fan after mine failed, its an Intel i5 2320 quad core 3ghz. The old one (fan) has screws mounting it to the motherboard (over the CPU) but the ones I am looking to buy all seem to have push pins - are these ok to replace screw in? The computer is about 3-4 years old, a Viglen from PC World.

cheers

Comments

• Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be easier if you could show photos or what your current fan is, if it's the stock intel one then they only do like a quarter turn.

Aslong as the new fan as compatability for 1155 then it will work fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    I need to buy a new fan after mine failed, its an Intel i5 2320 quad core 3ghz. The old one (fan) has screws mounting it to the motherboard (over the CPU) but the ones I am looking to buy all seem to have push pins - are these ok to replace screw in? The computer is about 3-4 years old, a Viglen from PC World.

cheers

The stock fan you untwist the push pins one by one and pull upwards, then the plunger will lift to the top position. Once you've done all four, the only thing holding it to the CPU will be the TIM, just give the heatsink a gentle twist.

Clean it down before reapplying the new heatsink and fan assembly. If the assembly is screw mounted there will be a backing plate to screw into or on to. As long as the new fan states it is Skt 1155/1156 compatible, it will fit.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-032115.htm

You will need to remove the motherboard from the case to fit a backplate, you needn't take out the RAM but you will need to disconnect all the power cables, SATA cables, expansion cards and header cables.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a piece of cake, the easiest repair I've ever done, just place the fan over the cpu - align the push pins and click into place, connect power and its done. CPU running at 35 deg C at the moment.