Options

Great living Yorkshireman?

Comments

• Options
    c3pod4qpc3pod4qp Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ratman81 wrote: »
    Judi Dench is from York I believe assuming this is open to woman as well men.

Absolutely, that's four candidates now:

Bennett
    Boycott
    Clarkson
    Dench

They are all worthy of consideration; my mind is being broadened.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c3pod4qp wrote: »
    Absolutely, that's four candidates now:

Bennett
    Boycott
    Clarkson
    Dench

They are all worthy of consideration; my mind is being broadened.

Not Parkinson or Titchmarsh? (ok. Stretching it a bit with Titchmarsh)...

What about William Hague?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Parky not worthy then?

I don't see how Clarkson or Boycott are 'greater' than Parky tbh - none of them are humanitarians or inventors etc. - they all just ply their own trades.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry wrote: »
    Not Parkinson or Titchmarsh? (ok. Stretching it a bit with Titchmarsh)...

What about William Hague?

Parkinson is a great broadcaster, but the greatest Yorkshireman? Boycott is a great sportsman and a great broadcaster.

Titchmarsh and Hague - I have no comment and will leave it to those more eloquent than I.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Jimmy Saville then... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigBHM wrote: »
    Parky not worthy then?

I don't see how Clarkson or Boycott are 'greater' than Parky tbh - none of them are humanitarians or inventors etc. - they all just ply their own trades.

Parkinson goes on the list. That's five.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Jimmy Saville then... :D

Savile makes six.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Geoff Boycott.

No living person has scored more runs or scored more centuries.

He's a legend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nominations so far are:

Bennett
    Boycott
    Clarkson
    Dench
    Parkinson
    Savile
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite weird really. You don't get this with other counties. Greatest living Lancastrian? Greatest living Essex bloke? Greatest living Cornishman? But Greatest Living Yorkshireman always trips off the tongue... Must be something to do with their self-importance... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite weird really. You don't get this with other counties. Greatest living Lancastrian? Greatest living Essex bloke? Greatest living Cornishman? But Greatest Living Yorkshireman always trips off the tongue... Must be something to do with their self-importance... ;)

This is very true.
    I am from London, but have lived in Yorkshire since 1999 and there certainly is an air of self importance about the place which is stronger than most other places.
    Don't get me wrong, Yorkshire is a fantastic place to live and the people are great on the whole, but you have a valid point.
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is very true.
    I am from London, but have lived in Yorkshire since 1999 and there certainly is an air of self importance about the place which is stronger than most other places.
    Don't get me wrong, Yorkshire is a fantastic place to live and the people are great on the whole, but you have a valid point.
    Yeah sorry an all that, I do wish we were as humble, selfless and unassuming as people from London!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah sorry an all that, I do wish we were as humble, selfless and unassuming as people from London!!

I live in South Yorks, but originally a southerner, so I know what I'm talking about.. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in South Yorks, but originally a southerner, so I know what I'm talking about.. ;)
    How self-important of you! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member

For a start, I never said that Londoners were any of those things - do you not wonder why I have not lived there for ten years?
    I also stated that Yorks is a lovely place with great people.
    There is however a truth to Yorkshire having a big ego as a county.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a start, I never said that Londoners were any of those things - do you not wonder why I have not lived there for ten years?

I think Harry was joking a bit there.. But he does have a point, the Cockernee's are up there with the Yorkie's in the self importance stakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's a big county!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Harry was joking a bit there.. But he does have a point, the Cockernee's are up there with the Yorkie's in the self importance stakes.
    I can't ave been, we've no sense of humour either have we? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member

I did wonder, but its back to the old 'hard to tell in text' thing I'm afraid.
    Smilies do help with that kind of thing - and we all know what DS is like for people being arseholes LOL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did wonder, but its back to the old 'hard to tell in text' thing I'm afraid.
    Smilies do help with that kind of thing - and we all know what DS is like for people being arseholes LOL.
    It's ok, just talk about me as if I'm not ere! :eek:
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we think about people as being from counties?

It's never occurred to be to watch someone in a movie or in sports or in the arts and think "Wow, he must be the greatest living Warwickshireian of all time!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I only really know anything about Yorkshire and Lancashire - as regards to geography, cities, attitudes etc.
    Those two counties seem to have the most pride in themselves (not saying that's a bad thing).
    It just seems that other counties either don't really care too much about self promotion, or it is the rivalry between Lancs and Yorks that has driven them to be so self-promoting.
    Hard to tell.

I realise of course that London is a law unto itself (but then it is at least 4 times bigger than any other British city - at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but then it (London) is at least 4 times bigger than any other British city - at least.
    But then there are no Great living Yorkshiremen from London as far as I know.

Anyway, back on topic, I'll take my chance to again mention Ted Hughes from Mytholmroyd

(oh - he's dead, sorry)
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiery Fred Trueman

Harvey "V sign" Smith

Both true Yorkshiremen:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who gets the vote for greatest living Essex Man? Jamie Oliver? Russell Brand? Jonathan Ross?