My Brother the Islamist

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12900460. On BBC Three earlier.
Basically about a guy who converted to extremist Islam, his brother did a documentary on him. Quite difficult viewing at times. I felt sorry for the 17 year old kid his brother took under his wing. I hope he finds a better path.
Been quite a few days for Tv about nutters, what with the Westboro thing and now this lol. But respect to the guy doing the filming must have been so hard for him:(

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    How chilling and how horrible for the other brother :(

IMO, people like that are mentally unstable. It sounds like someone looking 'for something' who fell prey to a cult-like brainwashing.

I know people have been rescued from cults in the past but it's never without trauma for everyone concerned.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were moments of real shock and hurt, such as when Rich told me he wouldn't shake my hand because I was a "dirty kafir [unbeliever]", or when I watched as he and his "brothers" publicly burned the American flag on the anniversary of 9/11.

Considering the high regard that the majority of Americans have for 'Old Glory', I find it strange that I can't remember the reports of gangs of Americans rampaging across the Country be-heading people.
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a nutter. People like him would have been sent off to the nut house in a past life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How chilling and how horrible for the other brother :(

IMO, people like that are mentally unstable. It sounds like someone looking 'for something' who fell prey to a cult-like brainwashing.

I know people have been rescued from cults in the past but it's never without trauma for everyone concerned.
    Yeah that's sorta what I thought. Feel bad as well for moderate Muslims, having their faith hijacked by these bloody clowns.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Yeah that's sorta what I thought. Feel bad as well for moderate Muslims, having their faith hijacked by these bloody clowns.

It is a constant struggle. We speak out at disassociation from them and we get accused of making excuses and that we're the same as them or that we're not real Muslims anyway.

There's so much ground to make up but I believe it can be done.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Bit like those Irish ones who blew that poor lad up

Loads of nuttahs in the name of whatever :(
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this programme earlier and learned a lot about what a dirty inhuman kuffar I am seen to be.

Maybe it's because I just can't get my head around stoning people ........oh, and I am REALLY evil because I like listening to music.

I'm sure I used to live in a normal world. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    It is a constant struggle. We speak out at disassociation from them and we get accused of making excuses and that we're the same as them or that we're not real Muslims anyway.

Yeah or I have heard people say "oh they would say that trying to cover up etc ". What a load of balls you can't win. Yeah I'm hopeful it can be done as well. "Religion is not evil man is".
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please keep at it, because if the group shown were typical, the world is going to be a very scary place for the next generation.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah or I have heard people say "oh they would say that trying to cover up etc ". What a load of balls you can't win. Yeah I'm hopeful it can be done as well. "Religion is not evil man is".

Spot on about the 'you're just saying that to appear nice and be no threat' - have had that a lot. Anyone would think I'm part of a sleeper cell the way they go on :confused:

It does get a bit mental sometimes. But in a way we have let things get to this state by not being tough enough internally to minimise the amount of fundamentalist and radical views.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right. The State has not been tough enough on these people. They should have been smashed years ago.

I have my problems with the British army as an Irish man, but the way that group was chanting and screaming at soldiers in the street was an absolute disgrace.
    Forum Member
    KidPoker wrote: »
    You are right. The State has not been tough enough on these people. They should have been smashed years ago.

I have my problems with the British army as an Irish man, but the way that group was chanting and screaming at soldiers in the street was an absolute disgrace.

Imagine the roles being reversed and that happening in an Islamic country.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night it was the Phelps family, tonight this chap - crackpots, the lot of them!

I find these fanatics very creepy.
  • houseful1houseful1 Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Islam is the truest religion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on about the 'you're just saying that to appear nice and be no threat' - have had that a lot. Anyone would think I'm part of a sleeper cell the way they go on :confused:

It does get a bit mental sometimes. But in a way we have let things get to this state by not being tough enough internally to minimise the amount of fundamentalist and radical views.
    I find also newspapers don't help that's why I was so suprised when that (Egyptian)?. I think it was cleric announced that Fatwa against Islamic Extremism most of the papers did cover it. (I think these guys tonight should have taken a leaf out of his book. Sometimes though I do think some moderates do say things , maybe not meaning to be contraversal but it comes out wrong (can't think of any examples at the moment). Anyway off to bed early start tommorow night everyone!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly.

Some of their messages and posters are hateful. Surely they could be charged under a hate-crime? :confused:.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was a really interesting documentary.

I think its ashame that these men let religion rule their lives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They might be stoned or be-headed. Is that really the type of behaviour you want to see in Britain?
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    They might be stoned or be-headed. Is that really the type of behaviour you want to see in Britain?

Of course not, and you know why? Because despite all the crap people throw at the West we haven't actually done that over here since the middle ages. The only reason THEY are allowed to do it is because of where they are. The enemy within the gates. People should rightly be very concerned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not, and you know why? Because despite all the crap people throw at the West we haven't actually done that over here since the middle ages. The only reason THEY are allowed to do it is because of where they are. The enemy within the gates. People should rightly be very concerned.

So lets be glad we aren't in an Islamic country, and we do allow freedom of speech, even if we don't agree with what is being said by some people.
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    So lets be glad we aren't in an Islamic country, and we do allow freedom of speech, even if we don't agree with what is being said by some people.

There's 'freedom of speech' and there's 'taking the p***'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

If you're a moderate Muslim who does speak out and tries to put the point across that these extremists are nutters and doesn't represent you, or your faith, you are called an apologist.

If you don't speak out, you get accused of condoning it somehow.

I'm an atheist myself, but I too have been called an Islamic apologist (by my own brother no less who is becoming scarily anti-Islamic). But then again, I have also had posters on here have a go at me when I dared to point out that not all Catholic priests are paedos a couple of years ago. :D
    Forum Member
    There's 'freedom of speech' and there's 'taking the p***'.

Indeed, which is why the law draws a line in the sand. Cross that line and you face sanction. You can argue that the sanctions aren't strong enough, or even that the line is set too liberally, but that's a different issue.

The problem is though, we all have different ideas where that line should be drawn. Personally, I think it is about right. You can pretty much say what you like until you cross into calling for the murder of others and advocating violence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, which is why the law draws a line in the sand. Cross that line and you face sanction. You can argue that the sanctions aren't strong enough, or even that the line is set too liberally, but that's a different issue.

The problem is though, we all have different ideas where that line should be drawn. Personally, I think it is about right. You can pretty much say what you like until you cross into calling for the murder of others and advocating violence.

They should be charged for threatening behaviour, indecent behaviour and hate-crimes. A few months locked up should do it. Let the prisoners know about their actions.
    Forum Member

You don't own a rucksack do you?. Every Asian who owns a rucksack is a potential terrorist. :D:D

Now let your women out of the basement. :D