Options

Help! Spilt tea on my laptop and it has blown!

2»

Comments

• Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    lovetochat wrote: »
    Used the rice thing myself loads of times for dropped mobiles in water.

Take back off mobile, remove battery and sim and submerge everything in a tub of rice (covered) for a few days. Worked every time!

This is usually fine if the device is off or turned off immediately, but a wet circuit board with power going through it is usually a receipe for disaster.

Even without the water detection things, it's usually easy to spot water damage to a circuit board. The chances of getting a free repair are nil, I would say.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lovetochat wrote: »
    Used the rice thing myself loads of times for dropped mobiles in water.

Take back off mobile, remove battery and sim and submerge everything in a tub of rice (covered) for a few days. Worked every time!
    For plain water spills this trick might work. It might not work for other spills.

In over 30 years cleaning tea, coffee, **** ash and other, shall we say, unidentified substances :D out of various bits of electronic kit it is tea and coffee that are the worst with drinks like Coca Cola not far behind.

As I posted it's not so much the liquid as the mess it leaves behind if you don't get to it quickly enough. Bunging a tea socked mobile or whatever in a bowl of rice may suck up the liquid but if it leaves a residue behind then you can still be in trouble.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the exact same thing last week with coffee on my laptop. I have home insurance but laptops are not covered for some reason. :mad:

I left it overnight to dry out and the next day, it switched on again OK,mouse working fine, but the keyboard wasn't working at all.

I took it to a local repair shop, who charged me £60 for 'diagnostics' (:rolleyes:), concluded that the keyboard was knackered (:rolleyes:) and then charged £40 for a new keyboard. £100 total.

Of course, as soon as it was fixed, I looked up the price of a new keyboard and it's £18.99, so I was basically ripped off, but it was still cheaper than buying a new computer.
  • Options
    Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I did the exact same thing last week with coffee on my laptop. I have home insurance but laptops are not covered for some reason. :mad:

I left it overnight to dry out and the next day, it switched on again OK,mouse working fine, but the keyboard wasn't working at all.

I took it to a local repair shop, who charged me £60 for 'diagnostics' (:rolleyes:), concluded that the keyboard was knackered (:rolleyes:) and then charged £40 for a new keyboard. £100 total.

Of course, as soon as it was fixed, I looked up the price of a new keyboard and it's £18.99, so I was basically ripped off, but it was still cheaper than buying a new computer.

Did you look at the policy terms and conditions and did they specifically say laptops aren't included?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they open it they will see the sticky stains all over the main board. It depends on who they send, he might turn a blind eye.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visits were free and now fixed. :)
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent result - congrats
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116