Options

Who else prefers the radio to television?

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I must admit now, with a dire choice of channels on Freeview( only 19 where I live) and the same tired out shows every day, I listen far more to the radio now. For £ 40, a tenth of the cost of a decent television, I have the choice of 32 radio stations that broadcast anything from religion to rave music, and it's all free. At the moment I'm listening to Radio 2, but at other times I listen to Planet Rock, Absolute 80s, Smooth and Radio Cumbria.

Comments

• Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said this for years.

Radio is unique, it is interactive and it happens in the background, so you can be doing other things whilst listening.

You're not zonked out on the sofa staring at a box for hours.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said this for years.

Radio is unique, it is interactive and it happens in the background, so you can be doing other things whilst listening.

You're not zonked out on the sofa staring at a box for hours.

Too right, I've just heard two excellent tracks on Sounds of the Seventies and I really think the radio offers you so much choice and you can dip in and out of shows, which you can't with the television.
    Also radio stations seem to have the sort of loyalty television stations lack. There is a Friends of Radio 3 website, can't imagine something on the lines of Friends of BBC One. People say oh I really love Radio 2 and have always listened for decades, never heard anyone express the same sort of affection for a television station.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Defo at the weekend radio was on all day yesterday and most of today.
  • Options
    shivering sandsshivering sands Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Whoever it was who described radio as the theatre of the mind and television as the theatre of the mindless was pretty close to the mark.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I must admit now, with a dire choice of channels on Freeview( only 19 where I live) and the same tired out shows every day, I listen far more to the radio now. For £ 40, a tenth of the cost of a decent television, I have the choice of 32 radio stations that broadcast anything from religion to rave music, and it's all free. At the moment I'm listening to Radio 2, but at other times I listen to Planet Rock, Absolute 80s, Smooth and Radio Cumbria.
    Only a measly 32 stations? :o

That's only eight more than on Freeview (main stations) ...

There are thousands of great stations on the internet !
  • Options
    Ethan RayneEthan Rayne Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only turn the telly on of there's a good music program on BBC4 on Friday night, other than that I hardly bother.
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Also radio stations seem to have the sort of loyalty television stations lack. /QUOTE]

Sadly, the station I spend my evenings listening to, over watching the goggle box, has no respect from it's owners, Global. But yes, I do prefer radio to tv:

Wake-10 Steve Allen, Nick Ferrari
    10AM Nick Wright on Magic 1548/ Shaun Tilley if he's on Gold/J'OB
    2PM Dave Campbell on Magic 1548
    6PM 60's at 6 on Magic 1548
    Spoons
    After Spoons, Dean Martin on Gold.

Saturdays: Mike Read, 70's and 80's Magic, Sara Cox
    Sunday, Steve Garlick on Biggles, Mr X, John Freeman, Dave Rogers, Clive 45 on MAR, Dean Martin on Gold.

All preferable to watching tv
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Me.

There's never a minute in my home when a radio is not on, whether in the bathroom, when I'm in bed (even asleep), with the telly on, cooking etc.

But my heyday of radio is in the past, Radios Luxembourg, Veronica, RNI, Caroline (especially) and Laser558, the beginning of Talk Radio and when LBC was at its best.

And yes, the analogue days. Now, I only listen to DAB because a couple of my favourite stations broadcast only that way, but I prefer scanning for my own stations.
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I probably spend more time watching TV than listening to the radio, radio is great in that it allows you use your eyes for other things at the same time, and it's my main way of discovering new music (I don't really use online services for that purpose).
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to be the dissenting voice here and say that in recent years TV here has become much more exciting and adventurous than radio.

We have outstanding drama from all over the world such as Top of the Lake (BBC co-production filmed in New Zealand), Borgen (Denmark), The Bridge (Denmark/Sweden), Broadchurch (ITV, UK), Romanzo Criminale (Italy) and The Returned (France). We have excellent music documentaries on BBC 4 such as Born to be Wild: the Golden Age of American Rock. There are good comedies (e.g. Parks & Recreation), intelligent quizzes (Only Connect) and even the Daily Telegraph likes Pointless. There are even some gems amongst the "pulp" shows imported to fill up the endless supply of digital channels: Ray Donovan, American Horror Story, Community, Modern Family... all well-written and much smarter than the TV my generation grew up watching.

Compared to the rich variety of programming on TV, British radio has lost the plot. TV works on the principle that we have a choice, so the programmes need to be good. Radio works on the principle that we don't need much choice, because we'll listen anyway.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Not me I listen to the radio in bed and in the car. The rest of the time it's the tv for me. When you work in an industry for 20 years listening to the radio is a work thing not a fun thing.

Would a bus driver want to drive a bus on his day off?
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Not me I listen to the radio in bed and in the car. The rest of the time it's the tv for me. When you work in an industry for 20 years listening to the radio is a work thing not a fun thing.

Would a bus driver want to drive a bus on his day off?

I won't name names but I asked a presenter if he listened to the station he worked on. 'Christ no - it's like being at work' was his response
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I lived alone I would definitely get rid of the televisions.

I much prefer radio. There is so much dumbed down garbage on television these days. I hardly watch anything.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    I would also dump my TV before I would give up my radio. That said, I do wish there were a greater number of (non-sport) speech stations. I miss Radio 7!
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I would also dump my TV before I would give up my radio. That said, I do wish there were a greater number of (non-sport) speech stations. I miss Radio 7!

Do you mean Radio 7 as in BBC Radio 7?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    With me its mostly radio, if its TV then its BBC Three with Family Guy and American Dad. BBC 2 for Top Gear, BBC One for Look North (Yorkshire). There's nowt on ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 worth watching anymore.

Rest of the time the TV and /or radio is off, nothing like the sound of silence to relax you.
  • Options
    Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another excellent thread ! This forum really is going great guns at the moment ! You all have something in common, in that you're discerning people - you're thinking about what you're listening to or watching, whereas 97% or the 98% of TV watchers in the UK just switch on and are oblivious to what is in front of them. Inkblot illustrates that discerning characteristic. I liked the statement by Catherine that she enjoys new music from the radio, which must give encouragement to Radio 1 and their counterparts.

The elderly generation - we never had TV as children - so that shaped our entertainment habits. After WWII there was "Childrens Hour" which was great entertainment and education, but by the time that the 1960s started, the BBC was engaging upon it's first contemporary downsizing. 1961 saw evening programmes for children switch from BBC radio to TV, aong with some news output. The R2 equivalent, the Light Programme, was always enjoyable but that was knocked for six by the offshore stations.

As we were saying in another thread earlier in the weekend, it was the anniversary of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which was originally a radio series. It was far more vivid then, than when it was turned into a TV adaption, because the latter "tied it down". So it is absolutely correct to say that radio allows the mind to be creative.

I'm very encouraged by what everyone's saying about radio ( and being discerning regarding TV programmes ). It's good that the younger generations are making good use of their creative minds ( he says as he shuffles off to do another day at the sports centre ). See you ! ( no I shouldn't have said that ) Be hearing from you !
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The radio tends to be on all day, very rare for me to put the TV on before 1800h.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do, I've had the radio on almost permanently, well, indoors and in the car that is, since my Dad bought me a transistor in 1964.
  • Options
    andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 40 and have long preferred radio to TV. In fact, I used to prefer it when I was a child also. During some of my most formative years I used to sit listening to the 8 to 10 phone in with Gavin Lawrence or the First phone in with Julie First (such a sexy voice she had, what happened to her?! :p ) on BBC Radio Kent while my mother and brother would complain I was being unsociable by refusing to watch EastEnders, Corrie, Minder, Dempsey and Makepeace etc. and a variety of mindless game shows with them.

My mother used to insist I would grow up stupid and knowing nothing about the world and that I should watch the soaps so I learnt about "real life" instead of the nonsense I listened to on the radio. What point, she always wanted to know, was there to listening to random strangers going on about things that are important to them only when clearly watching a load of fictional moaning miseries was apparently far more educational and intelligent! My mother never did understand the word "irony" and probably thought it was some kind of domestic science taught at school!

I watch very little TV still today. In the evenings at the moment some station or other keeps me company. Just recently the most regular listens have been LBC (a long-standing favourite, especially for Nick Abbot on a Friday/Saturday night. A man long responsible for me going to bed far later than I need to as I end up listening to 1am without realising it!) and JACK fm (either South Coast or Berkshire, I flip between them frequently) when I just want some music. I had been "loyal" to Real Radio NW, my local listen but as the transmogrification to Heart has progressed (and it's been going on for a while now, though not everyone has realised it yet) I've found Real to be more tedious to listen to now, mostly because the bulk of the music is no longer to my tastes. When I want something to enrich my mind or make me laugh, of course Radio 4 is also often to be heard in my home.

There are a few things I do watch on TV though, Doctor Who, Sherlock and Top Gear are really the only things I can really say that I have to watch. I'll dip into other shows as and when I find them, so really for me I could actually live without TV.

Which is a good thing too as it happens. I'm moving to Malta at some between now and the end of 2015 (hopefully). The TV there is not great, and that's being kind!
  • Options
    Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio is much better than tv, you can drive to it.
    I listen to it in bed..

Always Radio Caroline..
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    I like listening to Radio Norfolk- Nick Conrad's discussion show followed by Stephen Bumfrey's 'One foot in the groove'

I like Radio 2 and 4 too. Yesterday I really enjoyed listening to 'In and out of the kitchen' on Radio 4.
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the pictures on the radio are better.