Are Manchester Utd really the biggest club in the world?

Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
Forum Member
Now (as a Man Utd fan) I think we are one of the elite clubs in Europe/the world but I don't think that we are the biggest...

Comments

• Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Now (as a Man Utd fan) I think we are one of the elite clubs in Europe/the world but I don't think that we are the biggest...
    Biggest in what ?
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    I presume stature/size, revenue, successes, fanbase? ... It just that it is often said in the media admittedly usually within sections of the club but Van Gaal has also said the same thing recently. I don't know what its based on?
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Big club' is a vague statement made to fit whatever argument for or against a club suits. It's basically meaningless.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    'Big club' is a vague statement made to fit whatever argument for or against a club suits. It's basically meaningless.

Fans seem obsessed with trying to be a "big" club, whatever that means. I'd rather my team were a successful club than a "big" club.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    its like trying to argue who is the worlds biggest band. It cant really be quantified and usually comes down to who you like or hate.

edit: inevitably some ******** will now come along and state who the worlds biggest band is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its like trying to argue who is the worlds biggest band. It cant really be quantified and usually comes down to who you like or hate.

edit: inevitably some ******** will now come along and state who the worlds biggest band is.

I will be that ******** and suggest it's the one that has sold the most records/sold the most tickets for gigs.
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    I will be that ******** and suggest it's the one that has sold the most records/sold the most tickets for gigs.

which is why you cant quantify it. Whats your cut off point? The band that has sold the most amount of record in the last year? What about a huge band that hasnt released a record in ten years but then sells shedloads of tickets for a tour? etc etc....it cant be quantified.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they must mean the biggest as in worldwide fan base, i think it ranks
    1.mu
    2.barca
    3.madrid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which is why you cant quantify it. Whats your cut off point? The band that has sold the most amount of record in the last year? What about a huge band that hasnt released a record in ten years but then sells shedloads of tickets for a tour? etc etc....it cant be quantified.

The comparison between a band and a football club doesn't really work because bands split up and cease to exist, where as football clubs (apart from if they fold) are always there.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Depends how you judge them. .

Only third Richest club in the world.

But Biggest fan base in the world

So You decide. :D
    Forum Member
    The comparison between a band and a football club doesn't really work because bands split up and cease to exist, where as football clubs (apart from if they fold) are always there.

im not comparing football clubs with bands. Im saying you cant quantify which one of them is the biggest.

Besides if you wish to compare them you can do so. A band could have been massive in the 60s, still be around now but be having very limited success. Just like some clubs.

The argument though is pointless because its not an argument i was making.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of (meaningful) trophies won, wouldn't Real Madrid be the biggest club in the world?
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have probably the biggest fan base in the world, biggest club in the world covers a whole host of things.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    As a LFC fan this kind of talk and language used to annoy me cos often when we were by far the most successful British team and MUFC were winning very little (70s and 80s) you got some who would use the phrase to describe MUFC - which got our goat (or mine anyway).

Looking at it now in 2014 the phrase sits a little easier with me cos at least MUFC have backed up their claim with countless trophies won - but like many I do regard it as a pretty meaningless phrase - and not really worth discussing.

I appreciate the fact that some well known MUFC fans on DS have said as much in the thread altho for sure they are one of the biggest and at this point in time bigger than LFC that can't be denied but really such threads by their very title run the danger of WUMs coming out in force and reasonable fans (like myself :D) who support other teams falling out with each other and so I do not see it as a subject worth pursuing - if I am going to fall out with my MUFC supporting friends on DS I want it to be about a worthwhile topic - and this imo is not one.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    There's lots of definitions of 'biggest' club. Possibly...

- Largest number of major (again somewhat subjective) trophies won over entire history.
    - Major trophies won recently (say, last ten years)
    - Fanbase indicated by tickets sold week in, week out.
    - Fanbase indicated by merchandise sold internationally.
    - Calculated financial worth.
    - Their legend within the game and in the annuls of history.
    - Value of their squads either financially or in footballing terms (subjective again).

If you went for a rough composite of all of those then I'd say Manchester United are undoubtedly amongst the biggest clubs in the world but my gut feeling is that Real Madrid and Barcelona score higher overall. Madrid have the 10 ECs and Barcelona are synonymous with style and flair thanks to recent successes. Spain's international successes must reflect well on them too.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could only really base 'biggest club' on two things.

Fan base and earning power. Trophies won, etc. are all linked to this.

United would be in the top 3-4 for sure.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    United are one of the biggest clubs in the world when it comes to History, Trophies won, Global Fanbase, Merchandise etc, however for me the biggest club in World football is Real Madrid and i say that as a massive Manchester United fan know one else comes close to Real but United are certainly in the top 5 alongside Real, Barcelona, Bayern Munich. Manchester United are a worldwide institution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what makes Madrid and Barca the two biggest clubs is their monopoly on great player over the years. It would be easier to count the world class players that haven't played for etiher of the two than the ones that have, This will pretty much always guarantee that 1. They''re always on the hunt for European trophies 2. They're more likely to attract new fans globally 3. They'll make a lot more money from off-field revenue.

Right now United are probably joint third with Bayern but they'll most likely overtake us soon.
    Forum Member
    i usually just say they are one of the biggest clubs. For me when i think of the biggest clubs in the world it always boils down to united, liverpool, real madrid, barca, ac milan, juventus and bayern.

I know their are other big clubs like ajax, porto, benfica etc... but personally id say those are the biggest.
  • South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,381
    Forum Member
    As John Lennon might have said:

"They're not even the biggest club in Manchester." :D

PS: For those sensitive souls with delicate feelings, that is supposed to be a joke. ;-)
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO, Man Utd are the biggest club in the world. Closely followed in the 'elite' bracket by Barcelona & Real Madrid. The likes of Liverpool, AC Milan, Inter, Bayern, Juventus, Arsenal & even Chelsea would all be in my 'big club' bracket too but not quite at the 'elite' level for varying reasons. A Man City or a PSG are proof that you can become a 'successful' club in a short space of time but it doesn't make you a 'big' club I don't think - at least not yet.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Man Utd fan but its very hard to argue with Real Madrid with 32 league titles and 10 European cups, dwarfing everybody else. I know there are other factors that determine what the "biggest" is.

I mean we lose players like Ronaldo to Real Madrid, rarely does it happen the other way round. Real Madrid seem have this massive pull like no other club has where when they come calling for you, rarely do players say no.
  • ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

everyone knows its one direction;-)
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With everything considered, it think they're second to Real Madrid. But their attractiveness element is slipping, which has an effect on incoming players, marketability and funds.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fans seem obsessed with trying to be a "big" club, whatever that means. I'd rather my team were a successful club than a "big" club.

spot on

i think those who care if they are a big club are the ones who want something to grasp on to during bad times.

i doubt man city care if they are seen as a big club right now, nor would atletico care about being in shadow of barca and real after winning la liga.