Options

Survey: the most entertaining concert you've been to?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
Forum Member
Just got tickets to see my first ever concert this year, pretty hyped, and would like to hear about other's concert experiences. Starting off with the question, what is the most entertaining concert you've been to?

And some extra questions if you'd like to answer;

1) Any unfortunate concert experiences?
2) Going to see anyone this year? Or next year, even?

:D

Comments

• Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Most entertaining concert. Enrique Iglesias at Newcastle in 2011. I've been to many concerts over the past few years and I swear none of them have been as brilliant as this one. I can't wait to see him again later this year.

Also love Pink - she is incredible live and I highly recommend her to everybody. She puts on one hell of a show.

Worst experience was seeing Kylie at Glasgow in 2011. The worst venue and crowd i've ever been in. We flat refused ever to see anybody at the SECC ever again.

I've been to a few concerts so far this year (Robbie, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Elton John, Katy Perry, and probably a few more i've forgotten!). I've got Enrique, Pet Shop Boys, Kylie, Gaga, Paloma Faith and Clean Bandit to look forward too. :D

Who are you going to see OP?
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    One of the best for me would be Ella Fitzgerald at Ronnie Scott's. The worst was a Georgie Fame gig in Brighton when he was rather "tired and emotional", as they say, and he more or less sleepwalked through the evening. I asked for our money back on that occasion, and got it, as the organisers agreed that it was a miserable performance!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Undertones in Leicester was the best gig I've ever been to. People were holding their heads under the hot air blowers in the toilet in an attempt to cool down.

The worst was when I was misguided enough to accompany two girls to see Barclay James Harvest somewhere in London. We might as well have been watching cardboard cut-outs and listening to pre-recorded tapes.

Fripp & Eno at the London Palladium wasn't exactly a visual feast either and I have to admit that I was hoping for a little more than two silhouettes, illuminated only by the blinking lights from their tape decks and amplifiers, with a film of galloping horses playing behind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Most entertaining concert. Enrique Iglesias at Newcastle in 2011. I've been to many concerts over the past few years and I swear none of them have been as brilliant as this one. I can't wait to see him again later this year.

Also love Pink - she is incredible live and I highly recommend her to everybody. She puts on one hell of a show.

Worst experience was seeing Kylie at Glasgow in 2011. The worst venue and crowd i've ever been in. We flat refused ever to see anybody at the SECC ever again.

I've been to a few concerts so far this year (Robbie, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Elton John, Katy Perry, and probably a few more i've forgotten!). I've got Enrique, Pet Shop Boys, Kylie, Gaga, Paloma Faith and Clean Bandit to look forward too. :D

Who are you going to see OP?

Sounds like you have a lot to look forward to. Hope you don't ever end up re-living that Kylie experience. :D I'm going to see Twenty One Pilots in November. Staying the night in London for it. I've heard they put on a great show and really get the crowd up and into it from a few people who just recently went to T in the Park and saw their set, who hadn't actually ever heard of Twenty One Pilots before then. So I'm expecting it to be a good experience, hoping it is.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coldplay at Crystal Palace in 2005 was very special to me. My favourite band playing in my hometown was an immensely pleasurable experience. :)
    My worst experience was seeing the Libertines in 2003 in Camden. For some reason, the band always attracted a certain section of violent knobs and they certainly did that night! I'd never go to see any of their reunion gigs because of this.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I've been to see The Script and Katy Perry.

I would say The Script were better vocally but Katy put on a much better performance and did sing well.

I'm looking forward to see Kaiser Chiefs next February!
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most entertaining was probably Erasure at the MK Bowl.

Best was Prince earlier this year at Manchester.

Worst was Madonna's Girlie Show Tour at Wembley Stadium.

Still to come The Who later this year at Nottingham.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blink 182 in Liverpool in 2012. They were just excellent, proper show men and a really good mix of new and old songs, including an acoustic set where they moved to another stage in the middle of the crowd. They were also supported by the All American Rejects, who were brilliant because the lead singer was drunk, but STILL managed to sing in tune.

Unfortunately, the 2nd support act, The Blackout, were absolute garbage.
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most entertaining was Pink's Funhouse tour. The worst was probably when I saw Nicki Minaj at the Hammersmith Apollo. It was way too crowded and so hot, nobody there had any consideration for anyone else so people were getting knocked about. It was a shame because I was so looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw quite a few metal/rock bands perform between '87 and '92, but I haven't bothered going to any gigs since. My favourite gig was Judas Priest (Newcastle City Hall, '88), even though the album they had out at the time wasn't very good. Still like a lot of their music now.
  • Options
    Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been extremely lucky and never been to a bad concert... But I am picky with who I see :p

Two outstanding concerts Iv been to though were Kylie's Aphrodite Tour in 2011 and Beyonce's Mrs Carter Tour last year. Kylie's was just incredibly visual and lavish, a lot of work had gone into it with water cannons etc. while Beyoncé was just vocally stunning. Both concerts I thoroughly enjoyed... Hope Kylie's Kiss Me Once tour will be as good... Going to see her again in September! :D
  • Options
    LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    I'd say the most entertaining was Britney on her Circus tour, but that show was designed to be full on entertainment. My favourite though would be Matt Cardle, he has the best live voice I've ever heard.

No more shows planned this year :(
  • Options
    SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me the most entertaining people I have seen up there on the stage are my most favorite singers James Otto and Alison Krauss. :):):)

God bless you and them always!!! :):):)

Holly (a fan of Alison for 20 years now)

P.S. Alison especially because of what she has to say in between the songs. :D:D:D
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best - Madonna, Blond Ambition. Wembley Stadium, July 1990.
    Taking into account that Madonna was probably the biggest 'star' in the world at this point, we were very lucky to get tickets for a start. (Ahh, the days before t'internet).
    It was a truly fantastic show. It had everything going for it. The songs she chose to sing were fantastic. I can't praise it highly enough.
    Oh and by the time BA came to England, she had gotten rid of that weird ponytail she insisted on wearing, and she looked a whole lot better for it.

Worst, Madonna, The Girlie Show, Wembley Stadium, September 1993.
    I was probably expecting too much after the outstanding BA Tour, but TGS was poor. Very poor.
    A lot of the songs were changed beyond recognition, which was a massive shock. If you're at a Madonna show and she decides to sing Like A Virgin, you expect LAV. Not some weird re-mix that sounds nothing at all like the original.
    Also, she performed too many songs from the 'Erotica' album, which (although time has changed many perceptions), it was nowhere in the league of Like A Prayer.
    I remember a lot of people started leaving the venue before the concert had finished.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I'm a big fan of Paramore and I've seen them three times. It's always a complete joy. :)

I've recently seen Kacey Musgraves. That show was very enjoyable too.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't really think of a concert I didn't enjoy, and to pick the best is a hard decision.

Pink is phenomenal live. I've seen her twice - Funhouse tour and The Truth About Love tour. She is faultless. I saw Eminem at Wembley Stadium the other weeked, and he was awesome. I saw Bruce Springsteen at Wembley Stadium last year, and he was brilliant. Kelly Clarkson is fantastic live too. I've seen her a few times. I saw Christina Aguilera on her Stripped tour, and she was amazing. I'd say that lot are probably the best people I have seen, but I couldn't pick one as being the best.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I can't really think of a concert I didn't enjoy, and to pick the best is a hard decision.

Pink is phenomenal live. I've seen her twice - Funhouse tour and The Truth About Love tour. She is faultless. I saw Eminem at Wembley Stadium the other weeked, and he was awesome. I saw Bruce Springsteen at Wembley Stadium last year, and he was brilliant. Kelly Clarkson is fantastic live too. I've seen her a few times. I saw Christina Aguilera on her Stripped tour, and she was amazing. I'd say that lot are probably the best people I have seen, but I couldn't pick one as being the best.

I would love to see Christina live at some point. Her voice gives me chills when recorded on TV so I'd love to know what it's like when you're actually there.

I've never heard a bad word about P!nk's shows either. She really gives it her all.
  • Options
    LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

JEALOUS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    Best - Madonna, Blond Ambition. Wembley Stadium, July 1990.
    Taking into account that Madonna was probably the biggest 'star' in the world at this point, we were very lucky to get tickets for a start. (Ahh, the days before t'internet).
    It was a truly fantastic show. It had everything going for it. The songs she chose to sing were fantastic. I can't praise it highly enough.
    Oh and by the time BA came to England, she had gotten rid of that weird ponytail she insisted on wearing, and she looked a whole lot better for it.

Worst, Madonna, The Girlie Show, Wembley Stadium, September 1993.
    I was probably expecting too much after the outstanding BA Tour, but TGS was poor. Very poor.
    A lot of the songs were changed beyond recognition, which was a massive shock. If you're at a Madonna show and she decides to sing Like A Virgin, you expect LAV. Not some weird re-mix that sounds nothing at all like the original.
    Also, she performed too many songs from the 'Erotica' album, which (although time has changed many perceptions), it was nowhere in the league of Like A Prayer.
    I remember a lot of people started leaving the venue before the concert had finished.

Lucky them I was stuck right at the very front against the barrier of Wembley Stadium, and couldn't get out.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Most entertaining concert? That is a tough one.

I think it for me is Katy Perry Prism tour in Sheffield. She knows how to entertain the crowds! :)
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Kylie always puts on a good shoe. Aphrodite was the best concert I've ever been too.
    Worst - Britney's aptly named Circus.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Lucky them I was stuck right at the very front against the barrier of Wembley Stadium, and couldn't get out.

I take it you didn't enjoy it either?

On another note, it's hard to believe it was 21 years ago!
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Electric Prunes in a smokey old pub in York one year.
    Small gig with the old boys but it sure was fun.

Seeing David Bowie when aged 16, that was a good concert too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=MrMarple;73825853]I take it you didn't enjoy it either?

On another note, it's hard to believe it was 21 years ago![/QUOTE]

If you look up the thread...you will also notice I had it down as my worst concert as well.

I did enjoy Blonde Ambition but it wasn't my best.
  • Options
    sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Dury and the Blockheads....long time ago, but still the most entertaining, all of it, support acts too!