Options

Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless I missed another comment, did anyone else notice the way that "Every Day Hurts" was savaged during the chart rundown? Some serious cuts.......

I noticed it was edited, but then "Every Day Hurts" does take rather a long time to get to the chorus - way longer than the chart rundown allows!
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Isn't Xanadu at number one during that long strike in the summer? :confused:

Quite possibly! :(
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. In the show after the strike Peter Powell introduces a montage of clips of the no. 1s cruely denied their moment of TOTP glory - Crying, Use It Up And Wear It Out and Xanadu. We would've had Xanadu chopped anyway, and I think the BBC will be able to afford the few seconds its shown in that edition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    Yes. In the show after the strike Peter Powell introduces a montage of clips of the no. 1s cruely denied their moment of TOTP glory - Crying, Use It Up And Wear It Out and Xanadu. We would've had Xanadu chopped anyway, and I think the BBC will be able to afford the few seconds its shown in that edition.

Couldn't stand Crying - so not too bothered about missing that one!! :p - If I remember rightly - it was back in time to see Abba & David Bowie at No1!! :)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    How gross, women had pubic hair back in the 1970s ?

I'd hazard an educated guess that the majority of girls and boys who regularly post on this thread did not have any pubic hairs back in the 1970's! :p

My goodness Fave St, talk about Pussy Galore. No wonder Leslie Crowther wasn't happy, I've now got Stars In My Eyes. No doubt there were a lot who would "Come On Down!" to his daughter. :o

Back to business.....

I also noticed a weird change in the Sad Café intro on this weeks edition. It wasn't exactly subtly done.

A shame we'll miss the entire chart run of Xanadu next year. Just played it 2 minutes ago as I read the comments. Remains awesome, even if the film was a flop. The recent ELO concert at Hyde Park was equally awesome, but a shame Xanadu never got an airing. I'm presuming we will miss out on All Over The World next year too, their hit just prior to Xanadu, which was overlooked in previous comments about what is coming up from them.

Really annoyed that we are going to miss getting a really good showing of Gimme Gimme Gimme from Abba which rises to No3 in the next Savile edition before falling. You can get some seriously great hits that made close to the top of the charts that almost seem as if they never were around. One measly playout for this great single is all we have ended up with. Even the Buggles No1 was barely heard, with just one play. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I'd hazard an educated guess that the majority of girls and boys who regularly post on this thread did not have any pubic hairs back in the 1970's! :p
    (

Haha Rich!! :D

I forgot about All Over the World by ELO - they had so many hits back in this period you forget half of them!! :o
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that the founder member of Manhattan Transfer has gone to that great Gig in the sky. Is their heyday on TOTP still to come ?

Looking forward to singing along to Chanson D'Amour with the ratty tat te tat bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that the founder member of Manhattan Transfer has gone to that great Gig in the sky. Is their heyday on TOTP still to come ?

Looking forward to singing along to Chanson D'Amour with the ratty tat te tat bit.

No. :(

You are 2 and a half years late! That single was No1 for 3 weeks in March 1977, which we saw at the time in early 2012 on BBC4. Their next single is Twilight Zone but I think that is in May/June 1980 so likely to be strike affected at that time. Walk In Love and On A Little Street In Singapore were shown 18 months ago in the early 1978 editions.

I'm pumping my iPod's 6 minute version of Man Tran's Twilight Zone into my ears right now, prompted by your post. What a great single that should have been far more massive in 1980, not just a top 30 also ran.

I had heard that a member of the group (Tim Hauser) had recently passed away.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. :(

You are 2 and a half years late! That single was No1 for 3 weeks in March 1977, which we saw at the time in early 2012 on BBC4. Their next single is Twilight Zone but I think that is in May/June 1980 so likely to be strike affected at that time. Walk In Love and On A Little Street In Singapore were shown 18 months ago in the early 1978 editions.

I'm pumping my iPod's 6 minute version of Man Tran's Twilight Zone into my ears right now, prompted by your post. What a great single that should have been far more massive in 1980, not just a top 30 also ran.

I had heard that a member of the group (Tim Hauser) had recently passed away.

'Who What Where When Why' and 'Spice of Life' are lesser known tracks by MT that I like and are worth checking out if you like their sound :)
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more Ursula.

On a separate subject..........does anyone know when we will be seeing the fantastic ELO on TOTP next ?
    I can't stop listening to them since the Hyde Park concert.
    Missed Bev on drums though :blush::)
    The next appearance of ELO on TOTP in 1979 was with 'Confusion' on the edition broadcast on 22 November 1979 and hosted (or rather voiced over, due to BBC industrial action) by... DLT. So that won't be shown. Their next TOTP appearance after that was the first post-strike TOTP edition in August 1980, as mentioned above. If I recall it was just a brief clip of 'Xanadu' that was shown.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the 2 Tone & the 2 voiceover editions ever shown on UK Gold?
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may have said this before, but whenever I see the Suzi Quatro performance I wonder if she was made to change the line from "when she's making love to you, she'll do what you want her to" to "when she's so in love with you..." Doesn't seem that controversial to me, but who knows with the BBC.

The preceding line "So take her home and hold her close, touch her where she feels it most" is possibly nearer the knuckle but was left in.

I clearly recall Pan's People dancing to the Bad Company single 'Feel Like Makin' Love (To You)' on TOTP in September 1975 (although the Popscene website doesn't acknowledge the dance troupe's involvement) so perhaps the traditional BBC thought it was acceptable for a man to talk about making love to his girlfriend in a song - but not the other way round.
    I'm presuming we will miss out on All Over The World next year too, their hit just prior to Xanadu, which was overlooked in previous comments about what is coming up from them.

From memory 'I'm Alive' was in the top twenty just prior to the release of 'Xanadu' and 'All Over The World' entered the top forty as 'Xanadu' was descending the chart.
    How gross, women had pubic hair back in the 1970s ?

Women also had pubic hair in the 1980s, the 1990s and the 2000s. :o
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Some still do now Centaurion!

.... and in case anyone didn't realise ;-) those that don't have shaved it off.

On a related theme I recall you mentioned reading a biography of Paula Yates who, like Caroline Crowther, had a famous TV presenter "father" in the form of Jess Yates who hosted the religious 'Stars On Sunday' programme on ITV in the sixties and early seventies and a pop star boyfriend from Dublin. When 'I Don't Like Mondays' was at the top of the charts several tabloid newspapers carried stories about Bob Geldof and his music journalist girlfriend, and around the same time Paula bared all (so to speak) for the August 1979 issue of 'Penthouse' magazine with Geldof's approval. There is a link to these published photos in my previous post, but for the sake of convenience I have reproduced it below for anyone who might be curious (WARNING: contains nudity ;-)):

http://venusobservations.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/clubland-venus-paula-yates-at-reform.html
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may have said this before, but whenever I see the Suzi Quatro performance I wonder if she was made to change the line from "when she's making love to you, she'll do what you want her to" to "when she's so in love with you..." Doesn't seem that controversial to me, but who knows with the BBC.
    The preceding line "So take her home and hold her close, touch her where she feels it most" is possibly closer to the bone but was left in.

I clearly recall Pan's People dancing to the Bad Company single 'Feel Like Makin' Love (To You)' on TOTP in September 1975 (although the Popscene website doesn't acknowledge the dance troupe's involvement) so perhaps the traditional BBC thought it was acceptable for a man to talk about making love to his girlfriend in a song - but not the other way round.

Back then the phrase "make love" didn't necessarily mean sexual intercourse, although it was increasingly meaning that.

Older people (like my mum) used it to describe - courtship? wooing? I'm not sure that we even have a word for it any more! Making romantic overtures, shall we say.

What I'm getting at is that the term was ambiguous at the time.
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    MOR! :o Dirge! :o I wouldn't call SILWY either of those. Its predecessor "Stumblin' In", now that was very MOR. SILWY was more pop/rock though and to me sounded like an attempt to update her sound to make it a bit comparable to what else was going on at the time. I loved it and I thought it was one of her best singles. It's all about personal taste as usual.

I don't think "She's In Love With You" is really that great, and especially after repeated listens, where for me it grows tiresome. However, of course you can't blame Suzi for wanting to update her sound (and image). Chinn and Chapman wrote the song, but it is far less interesting to me than their earlier efforts, such as her glam era no 1 hits "Can The Can" and "Devil Gate Drive". Suzi really wasn't stagnating generally, however. She'd broadened her profile considerably, and especially by appearing in the US sitcom "Happy Days". Pop is all about being able to re-invent yourself effectively over the longer period. However, it often proves a tough challenge to rival the very best of what you've managed to achieve previously, unless you are David Bowie, for example. I applaud Suzi for at least trying. I notice in that Top Of The Pops appearance for "She's In Love With You", one of the Rubettes standing in on keyboards which is another Chinn - Chapman connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From memory 'I'm Alive' was in the top twenty just prior to the release of 'Xanadu' and 'All Over The World' entered the top forty as 'Xanadu' was descending the chart.
    Quite correct. I was mixing I'm Alive with All Over The World. I should imagine we will get to see the latter track as it was rising up the charts and entered the forty in the week TOTP returned at 7th August 1980. Such a good job TOTP did return right at that point because I think the two No1's of August 1980 from Abba & Bowie just about beat most of the chart toppers even from the outstanding 1979 list.

Does anyone ever take a look at this fabulous website which is kept bang up to date from the oldest to the very latest hits;

http://www.polyhex.com/music/chartruns/chartruns.php

Highlander would adore this site with all it's statistics and set out chart runs of every hit single if he's unaware of it. To view more of what the site offers just click the home link.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Who What Where When Why' and 'Spice of Life' are lesser known tracks by MT that I like and are worth checking out if you like their sound :)
    They had a top 20 hit here in 1978 with the rather schmaltzy Walk In Love (here on TOTP)). But they were at their best doing jazz. I'd say Four Brothers which they performed on OGWT during their first concert over here also in 1978 was the best thing they ever did live around that time, and certainly was no easy task to sing., Tim Hauser (the guy who recently passed on) is the one with the top hat and who did all the chat between the numbers..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spice Of Life I already have, liked it at the time and actually had a run through of a few of their hits, including this one, after the mention they got tonight. It was their final charting hit single at the start of 1984 making a respectable position just inside the twenty at No19. Not quite the kind of single you might have imagined being that successful by that period of time. The vocal always reminds me of a sort of young Michael Jackson on the Jackson 5 hits, or the kid singer on New Edition or maybe even that singer with Sweet Sensation. Certainly this group put out a decent variety of very different singles from the modest clutch of releases they had in the UK from 1976 to 1984. Their biggest hit over in the USA was infact The Boy From New York City which Darts had taken to No2 over here, and Manhattan Transfer took to No7 Stateside on the Hot 100 in 1981. Their UK No1 did nothing over there.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Women also had pubic hair in the 1980s, the 1990s and the 2000s. :o

.... and in case anyone didn't realise ;-) those that don't have shaved it off.

On a related theme I recall you mentioned reading a biography of Paula Yates who, like Caroline Crowther, had a famous TV presenter "father" in the form of Jess Yates who hosted the religious 'Stars On Sunday' programme on ITV in the sixties and early seventies and a pop star boyfriend from Dublin. When 'I Don't Like Mondays' was at the top of the charts several tabloid newspapers carried stories about Bob Geldof and his music journalist girlfriend, and around the same time Paula bared all (so to speak) for the August 1979 issue of 'Penthouse' magazine with Geldof's approval. [/URL]

Haha quite!

What a good memory you have - yes I have read Paula's (& Bobs) biography too!! But I didn't even realise I'd mentioned it on this forum!!! :o

Paula always came across as a bit of an attention seeker - but she was always quite witty & her book was very good! :)

I only wish C4 would repeat The Tube episodes with her & Joolz!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic, but didnt Savile, Hughie Green, Jess Yates etc promote themselves as 'providing good clean family entertainment'!

If that was true, what a load of old bollards that turned out to be!
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That drama about Hughie Green, shown on BBC, was a real eye opener.
    What a nasty piece of work he was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember the comments about the wrong ITV company programmes attributed to Thames.
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but didnt Savile, Hughie Green, Jess Yates etc promote themselves as 'providing good clean family entertainment'!

If that was true, what a load of old bollards that turned out to be!

Jess Yates never really did anything wrong, he just fell in love with someone a lot younger than him,. By most accounts he was a really nice guy, Bob Geldof loved him and was shattered for Paula when it came out he wasn't her "real" Dad.

Paula's Mother is a real piece of work, Jess was a saint to put up with her for as long as he did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jess Yates never really did anything wrong, he just fell in love with someone a lot younger than him,. By most accounts he was a really nice guy, Bob Geldof loved him and was shattered for Paula when it came out he wasn't her "real" Dad.

Paula's Mother is a real piece of work, Jess was a saint to put up with her for as long as he did.

I totally agree here! Also Jess possibly knew that Paula wasn't his child so he did well to bring her up as his own - a bit like Bob with MH's child...
  • Options
    Forum Member

Never saw it - but would like to!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    The guitarist on the left during the Thin Lizzy performance looks like Noel Redding from the Hendrix Experience to me but I could be wrong