Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    They absolutely did play out with the Sex Pistols version of "Rock Around the Clock" sung by Edward Tudor-Pole from the film soundtrack "The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle" (the title track of which was on th b-side). I remember it well from 1979 as my mother (a big fan of Bill Haley) asked me indignantly "what the hell is this?" as the credits rolled....:blush:

Thanks for your (and others') responses. So that really did go out then - if it had been broadcast now, I bet there would have been complaints. Maybe in these cynical times we are more tuned in to listening for obscenities?

It would have been interesting to see what BBC Four had done, had this particular episode been suitable for broadcast.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    darren1090 wrote: »
    Also, search for "Angelo Gravity" (the same person who owns the Facebook page mentioned above). There you can more easily find the links as they are clearly under each Yewtreed episode.

Thanks to them, I believe we have been able to see every single episode of 1979 so far (or at least most of each episode, barring some missing rundown tracks, playout tracks, number 1s and some missing links from UK Gold rebroadcasts). So regardless of what BBC Four decide to do with the repeats in years to come, hopefully now every single episode from where we are in 1979 onwards is "out there" somewhere.

Cheers for the heads up on that Darren. That's a better place for searching the episodes. :)
  • Rolling StoneRolling Stone Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    It was the [highlight]Red Hand Gang[/highlight] that I really loved around the 1979 period and a bit later.

I always yearned to be the character Frankie (Matthew Laborteaux), the good looking kid who snared crooks with his pals. :cool:

Remember?

http://youtu.be/cMcEiPQs8CA

I remember that! The thing that stuck in my memory was that one of the child actor's names was James Bond III.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the 8th November episode. Not a lot to get excited about other than the 2-Tone tracks. Don't know whether I remember "Monkey Chop" from the time or not. Strange to hear Sham 69 doing a ballad - Jimmy Pursey didn't have the ideal voice for that song. Don't remember Matchbox looking that old...
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to TV Cream's heads up, here's Suzi Quatro doing alternate version of 'She's In Love With You'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi0WsOBwRBI&feature=youtu.be

Be warned. It has a bit of NSFW language.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Thanks to TV Cream's heads up, here's Suzi Quatro doing alternate version of 'She's In Love With You'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi0WsOBwRBI&feature=youtu.be

Be warned. It has a bit of NSFW language.

Great clip. :D
  • tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is also
    totp 2 saturday 11.15 pm bbc two every saturday night
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvsatweek wrote: »
    There is also
    totp 2 saturday 11.15 pm bbc two every saturday night

In my tv mag, it lists Badfinger as being on, hope it's right. ;-)
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    In my tv mag, it lists Badfinger as being on, hope it's right. ;-)

Was it the colour version of the clip, as one compilation had the usual black & white film recording but another compilation, someone actually found the original colour version!
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Was it the colour version of the clip, as one compilation had the usual black & white film recording but another compilation, someone actually found the original colour version!

It was colour. I thought they were quite cringey to watch, all grinning and gurning at the camera.

The real treat for me was the Associates doing Party Fears Two. What a song. Billy Mackenzie was mesmerising :cry:
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Partridge just posted a link to this on Twitter - an alternative (and rather well done) version of Making Plans for Nigel.... :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5LrRlR2Epo
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    Andy Partridge just posted a link to this on Twitter - an alternative (and rather well done) version of Making Plans for Nigel.... :o

That is hilarious - but it's still not as jaw-droppingly shocking as this Crackerjack song massacre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ZtpYfNq74

(I know I've posted this before, but in case anyone missed its epic horror …)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the 8th November episode. Not a lot to get excited about other than the 2-Tone tracks. Don't know whether I remember "Monkey Chop" from the time or not. Strange to hear Sham 69 doing a ballad - Jimmy Pursey didn't have the ideal voice for that song. Don't remember Matchbox looking that old...

Is the Sham 69 ballad Better Man Than I, AIRC a more melodic and quieter song? It was released shortly before they split up due to violence and National Front supporters at their gigs.
    As the seventies draw to a close, the biggest surprise is the return of Pink Floyd to the charts with the most un festive Christmas no 1 ever and proof that the old guard of rock bands had survived punk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Is the Sham 69 ballad Better Man Than I, AIRC a more melodic and quieter song?
    It's a Yardbirds song, written by Mike Hugg of Manfred Mann and his brother.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Yardbirds song, written by Mike Hugg of Manfred Mann and his brother.

Unusual, but maybe Jimmy Pursey was tired of the band's skinhead following and wanted to try something new.
    Sham 69 were always interesting, they sounded like cockneys, but actually came from Surrey. Maybe they felt alienated in a county where working class people were marginalised and often looked down on.
  • JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Is the Sham 69 ballad Better Man Than I, AIRC a more melodic and quieter song? It was released shortly before they split up due to violence and National Front supporters at their gigs.
    As the seventies draw to a close, the biggest surprise is the return of Pink Floyd to the charts with the most un festive Christmas no 1 ever and proof that the old guard of rock bands had survived punk.

Yes, i don't think there was any real doubt, and especially in retrospect, that the old guard were going to survive punk. The punk bands really did need to, by the end of 1979, find a new form of expression, or at the very least broaden their horizons somewhat. Such an extreme form, whether in musical style, or what the groups had to say, could only have very limited appeal to begin with, anyway, and it wouldn't take long before they themselves would begin to seem like a cheap parody of what punk originally represented etc. if they played on appearing angry over an extended period of time etc. In the 1978/79 period, Sham 69 were the biggest profile punk band, in terms of their appearances on Top Of The Pops, but i always felt there was a tongue in cheek element to their appearances, which suggested they perhaps didn't take themselves quite so seriously as some of those other punk groups, despite their raucous sound. I think those National Front followers turning up for their shows wouldn't be at all what they were aiming for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    In the 1978/79 period, Sham 69 were the biggest profile punk band, in terms of their appearances on Top Of The Pops, but i always felt there was a tongue in cheek element to their appearances, which suggested they perhaps didn't take themselves quite so seriously as some of those other punk groups, despite their raucous sound. I think those National Front followers turning up for their shows wouldn't be at all what they were aiming for.
    The band always was 'a bunch of mates' for the first couple of years, and the fun element more than balanced Jimmy's fiery politics well for a long while. He was a good laugh too though, and a genuine nice geezer - it wasn't all polemic.
    However, the NF/skinhead problem drove him to despair from very early on. He couldn't quite balance finding another way to express himself which would remove them from the scene with being true to himself; and the NFs continued following the band even though they made it perfectly clear time and again they hated everything the NF stood for just didn't make sense to him. Nothing he did or said made a difference. Sham probably should have just quit playing live until the scum moved on, but there was far too much pressure and need for a living to allow that.

Always felt sorry for Jimmy and the band that it never worked out. They were a great bunch caught up in something far too out of their control, and although he had the commitment, he just didn't have the solid reasoning Strummer or Lydon could summon up to battle through it.
  • SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Pearson wrote 'Sleepy Shores' as the theme tune to the BBC series 'Owen MD' (about a rural GP) which preceded TOTP on Thursday nights in the early seventies when 'Tomorrows World' was having a rest.

I remember at one point in the early 70s 'Owen MD' was followed by 'Star Trek'. I found it funny that the theme tunes to both shows were extremely similar!
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member

Aaaaargghhhh!!! :(

How to ruin a classic!!! >:(

With all the good music around in the late 70s/early 80s - you forget about all the equally bad entertainment shows at the time!! :(
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noel Edmonds has made some interesting comments in a Sunday supplement magazine this past weekend, worth sharing here.

Speaking about Jimmy Savile he says,"I never liked him. I found it insulting the way the rest of us would turn up to functions at the BBC on time, dressed in suits and he'd turn up late in a gold lame tracksuit. He was a shit broadcaster. He had no command of the English language. He couldn't speak properly. He'd come out with those awful expressions like 'Howzabout that then?' and I used to wonder why he even had a job"

Noel ends his Savile comment by saying "There's a whole establishment that let him into its heart, not just the BBC".

More surprising was what he said about DLT and even Mike Read.

On DLT he said, "Dear Dave, if it hadn't been for pirate radio he'd have ended up digging roads in Manchester. He was never the brightest spark, but he's not a nasty guy. There was no bad vibe about him. I was never aware of anything remotely sleazy about Dave. OK, he was possibly misguided".

On Mike Read, commenting about his recent UKIP Calypso Noel says, " Jesus. Mike Read. I could say a lot more about him, but it's all there really" before adding "UKOP, you keep your own opinions private". Before Noel goes on to add many more private opinions himself on other matters!

Talking of TOTP back in the early 1970's he says "The director was handing around all these **** and I remember thinking 'Can't they afford to buy their own ****?'. I was incredibly straight, even in my 20's, never did drugs or ever got drunk. It was only about a year later when I finally realised what was going on". :o
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting post Rich, wonder what the 'more' is he knows about Mike Read.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Interesting post Rich, wonder what the 'more' is he knows about Mike Read.

Lets hope it doesnt involve losing more shows whatever it is!
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The band always was 'a bunch of mates' for the first couple of years, and the fun element more than balanced Jimmy's fiery politics well for a long while. He was a good laugh too though, and a genuine nice geezer - it wasn't all polemic.
    However, the NF/skinhead problem drove him to despair from very early on. He couldn't quite balance finding another way to express himself which would remove them from the scene with being true to himself; and the NFs continued following the band even though they made it perfectly clear time and again they hated everything the NF stood for just didn't make sense to him. Nothing he did or said made a difference. Sham probably should have just quit playing live until the scum moved on, but there was far too much pressure and need for a living to allow that.

Always felt sorry for Jimmy and the band that it never worked out. They were a great bunch caught up in something far too out of their control, and although he had the commitment, he just didn't have the solid reasoning Strummer or Lydon could summon up to battle through it.

Unfortunately for them, Sham 69 didn't display the musical development that other groups who came up either through or in the aftermath of punk did: by the end of 1979, Blondie and The Clash had diversified their sound, The Jam had matured and PiL and Siouxsie & The Banshees were pushing boundaries. So doing a Yardbirds cover wasn't exactly going to set the world on fire: there was intense musical change going on around them and they already looked and sounded dated well before that.

Sham 69's other problem - and one that was kind of their own making - was their willingness to associate themselves with groups like the Angelic Upstarts and the Cockney Rejects, and the whole Oi movement. While those groups may not have been sympathetic themselves with the National Front or the British Movement, unfortunately for them, their audiences were infiltrated by a racist element. Pursey did indeed rail in vain against the right-wing skinheads turning his concerts into aggro pits - but if he'd been less keen to get caught up in Garry Bushell's idea of a new musical bandwagon and distanced himself from the wannabes, he might've dodged a bullet.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Farewell Is A Lonely Sound". :(

Jimmy Ruffin has passed away aged 78.

He will have his last major hit and comeback single in the top ten in May 1980, so coming up on TOTP.
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see on the Freeview EPG next weeks TOTP has bricks being put in walls:)