So apparently its now OK to use the "N" word because black people use it.

PfrancisPfrancis Posts: 301
Forum Member
In light of this Jeremy Clarkson thing one of the things which people are constantly saying in his defence is that some black people use the "N*gger" word therefore its ok for ANYONE to use it.
No it isn't! The black people using it are just as bad I'm afraid.Some people say they use it to take the sting out of the word but for whatever the reason IT IS WRONG.Nobody should be using it.
If a lot disabled people started calling each other derogatory names would that make it alright for able bodied or otherwise to start using these terms?

Comments

• Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe any words should be banned.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's wrong for anyone to use it. It's continued use of it can be blamed partly on the Black Community through their use of the word.

Black people using trivialises the use of it making it seem like it is not as bad. The only way to combat the use of it is for everyone to stop using it.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sargeant80 wrote: »

Likewise
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

However we are all at liberty to condemn people as c***s for the words they choose to use.
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pfrancis wrote: »
    In light of this Jeremy Clarkson thing one of the things which people are constantly saying in his defence is that some black people use the "N*gger" word therefore its ok for ANYONE to use it.
    No it isn't! The black people using it are just as bad I'm afraid.Some people say they use it to take the sting out of the word but for whatever the reason IT IS WRONG.Nobody should be using it.
    If a lot disabled people started calling each other derogatory names would that make it alright for able bodied or otherwise to start using these terms?

1. Jeremy Clarkson did not say that N word. He said einy meiny miny mumbles mo. No where, could I hear the N word being used.

2. It is not a justification for anyone to use the N word. Black people can use the N word but others can't as this is primarily down to cultural reasons.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    However we are all at liberty to condemn people as c***s for the words they choose to use.

Correct.

People should be able to say offensive things, but they will be judged on that they say.

I hate this 'you can't say that' attitude by some people.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a bit like using the word "queer"? I really don't like taboo words - it's giving them too much power.
  • zonazona Posts: 179
    Forum Member

You really can't say that Black people can't use it among themselves, as there are subsections of the Black community who use it more as slang and not derogatorily. As long as they are not saying it for public or wider consumption then I can't see why it should be your problem. They know how to 'manage' it and don't need to be troubled by the sensibilities of others. If you are black and don't like it, then you don't belong to such a group. The word has become very 'loaded' with time and history, but as you know, does derive from the legitimate 'negro' for black. We have shorten/made slang many words over time but of course not all of them relate to the physical characteristics of persons. So I agree it is a word that cannot be wide spread, because of history, but outside of that it is a word with legitimate roots. A one time the word 'black' was deemed offensive and people decided to 'own' that word and discard coloured which was considered more acceptable.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those who honestly think it's "okay" to use that word should trying saying it while walking down the street in a neighborhood where Caucasians are a minority to test it out properly.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those who honestly think it's "okay" to use that word should trying saying it while walking down the street in a neighborhood where Caucasians are a minority to test it out properly.:D

Not sure using the term Negroid would go down too well either. :D
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Youths are allowed to abuse the "Gay" word in a derogatory manner and we don't get a big tantrum about that. We should, but we don't!
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amongst friends behind closed it's ok, not ok to use with strangers or in public though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's not right for non black people to use it. I think the four points in this article sum it up http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/03/white-people-cant-use-the-n-word/?utm_source=policymic
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's OK for Eminem to use it then it's OK for anyone to use.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The word "Coloured(s)" apparently originated in South Africa to describe people of mixed race.
    The origins of the Coloured community stems from numerous interracial sexual unions between Western European males and Khoisan females in the Cape Colony from the 17th century onwards.

I would imagine that many people fall into a similar category today, even if they consider themselves to be black.
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    No, it's not right for non black people to use it. I think the four points in this article sum it up http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/03/white-people-cant-use-the-n-word/?utm_source=policymic

Oh my goodness its the everyday feminism website, better check my white male cis-gendered privilege.
  • PfrancisPfrancis Posts: 301
    Forum Member

Really?
    That will never work because as soon as they are NOT banned people will come up with other words which would be deemed offensive and so the process starts again
  • PfrancisPfrancis Posts: 301
    Forum Member

I don't know which angle you're coming from with this.Are you saying everyone should be free to call each other names and swear at each other?
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my goodness its the everyday feminism website, better check my white male cis-gendered privilege.

just checked my privilege

yep still there in and full working order :cool:
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yo! Yo! Yo! Wassup, my most esteemed gentleman of distinction?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know which angle you're coming from with this.Are you saying everyone should be free to call each other names and swear at each other?

I'm saying someone should be able to say what they want, but have to accept the reaction of other people as a consequence.

If a friend of mine used the N word they should be free to do so, however I would no longer wish to associate myself with them.

I don't believe their should be a list of legally unacceptable words. With Clarkson viewers and his employers have the right to judge whether they want to support him. The idea though that he may have committed a criminal act just by saying it is not something that I support at all.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Elvis Costello was allowed to use that word when he performed "Oliver's Army" on Top of the Pops.

However, in the same programme, Chas and Dave were strongly warned that they mustn't use the word "Cowson" when they performed "Gercha", which is a victorian swear word, apparently.

Fortunately, they sang it anyway!

Double standards or what?
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yo! Yo! Yo! Wassup, my most esteemed gentleman of distinction?

cease all activities thou art engaged in, the hour of the hammer is upon us
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    cease all activities thou art engaged in, the hour of the hammer is upon us

lol :D