Condensing boilers breaking down in cold weather

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been reading about all the condensing boilers which are breaking down in this very cold weather.

Thousands apparently. The pipe at the back of the boiler which takes waste water is freezing up.

I have had to apologise to my DH because when we had a new boiler a few years ago I said we should have a condensing one because they were supposed to be so wonderful. After speaking to a few people in the trade, he decided not and the conventional one we have has been no trouble at all.

Comments

• HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Just been reading about all the condensing boilers which are breaking down in this very cold weather.

Thousands apparently. The pipe at the back of the boiler which takes waste water is freezing up.

I have had to apologise to my DH because when we had a new boiler a few years ago I said we should have a condensing one because they were supposed to be so wonderful. After speaking to a few people in the trade, he decided not and the conventional one we have has been no trouble at all.

I *Think* you have to have a condensing boiler (when having a new one installed) in residential properties now, the regulations changed. Not 100% though...
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been reading about this in the Daily Fail
    www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1342357/Central-heating-break-big-freeze-Heres-.html
    But apparently the last government pushed them like they were the best thing since sliced bread yet they dont last very long it seems .
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad has had problems the last two winters with the condensing pipe on the boiler freezing up:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    The plumber who put our boiler in 4 years ago connected the waste pipe to the drainage pipe in the bathroom, so no freeze up. The plumber said at the time they should be connected internal wherever possible to prevent freeze ups, often putting the pipe outside is the easy option
  • shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a condenser boiler, no problems with the boiler itself. The waste water did keep freezing up and it stopped the boiler from working twice this year. As soon as the pipe was defrosted the boiler worked again no problem.

I do seem to have found a solution now, the waste pipe wasn't at an angle therefore water was standing at the bottom of the pipe. I've now got the pipe on an angle and have had no problems since.
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    I have been reading about this in the Daily Fail
    www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1342357/Central-heating-break-big-freeze-Heres-.html
    But apparently the last government pushed them like they were the best thing since sliced bread yet they dont last very long it seems .

tbh the daily mail usually does have some good articles, its only when they have opinion pieces where they let themselves down
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henderson wrote: »
    I *Think* you have to have a condensing boiler (when having a new one installed) in residential properties now, the regulations changed. Not 100% though...

Yes you're right. Fortunately when we had a new one we still had the choice and (fingers crossed;)) it should last us a good few years yet.

Interestingly, a family member had a new boiler installed last summer and she says that her house has been nowhere near as warm since then. I know it's been exceptionally cold this last month but she means all the autumn months too,
  • AmicaAmica Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henderson wrote: »

Ours has died this week - will I have to have a combi then? Was hoping to just have it replaced with a similar one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amica wrote: »
    Ours has died this week - will I have to have a combi then? Was hoping to just have it replaced with a similar one.

Do you currently have a combi boiler?
  • AmicaAmica Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's an old "normal" one - but it's leaking gas - apparently - in a few places and probably can't be fixed. Reading the above put me off a combi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amica wrote: »
    No it's an old "normal" one - but it's leaking gas - apparently - in a few places and probably can't be fixed. Reading the above put me off a combi.

No, I dont think you have to have a combi, you can replace your current one with a normal boiler. when you purchase it, they will tell you what regulations you have to meet...

It will still have to be a condensing boiler though, whether its a combi or not... Heres the new regs...

http://davidkearns.co.uk/buildingregs.php
  • caboosecaboose Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I think we will stick with our 40+ year old boiler which we service every year ourselves. Had to replace one gasket on it 18 years ago and nothing since!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ours froze up last year and also last week but all that happens is a pool of water collects under the boiler so an oven tray goes underneath. As far as I know there is no lasting damage. Strangely enough next door has the same Bosch boiler but no freezing problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I must have a decent plumber/gas fitter then.

My landlord arranged for a new boiler to be fitted a year or so ago, the pipes run indoors to the waste pipe part of which does go outside. The outside section is lagged with thick foam and placed at an angle straight into the sewer drain outside so no standing water to freeze up. Haven't had an issue either this Winter nor last.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Complete load of cobblers ,there is nothing wrong with condensing boilers ,they just need to be serviced and installed onto completely clean systems,which for some will mean new radiators.
    Running the condense pipe outside is usually the cheapest option ,the alternative could be pumps,removing laminate ,tiled floors and kitchen units all of which push up costs.
    The best placed boilers are those in utility rooms with access to internal drainage,water services and heating pipes.

Parts are no more expensive than traditional combi's and the hot water performance on these boilers is far better than older combi's.
    I must reiterate these boilers must be installed onto clean systems or they will rot from the inside out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We run our pipe outside and it keeps freezing up but it's easy enough to twist part of the pipe off and remove the ice before it builds up into a solid block.

The only reason it's outside is because the pipes are the old dishwasher pipes. One day, when we sort out that part of the kitchen, the pipework will be moved to run along the inside of the house, just as the plumber recommended.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    I installed the condensate drain for our new Worcester Bosch combi 2 years back and inherently knew it made no sense to run it straight to outside. I ran it fully indoors through brick walls in two outhouses, kept it at a fairly steep angle and joined it with the kitchen drainage. We've had no problems at all.

Those with external condensate drains should look into getting it re-routed indoors ideally. Failing that, replace the section of pipe outdoors with a bigger bore and insulate it. I don't think that such changes even require a gas-safe/corgi registered engineer. A regular plumber, handyman or even a good DIYer can do that but I am ready to be corrected on that?
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, the big advantage of a condensing boiler is said to be that it saves expensive fuel. I have an oil-fired combi boiler that's about twelve years old. A couple of weeks ago I completed a home energy survey for my house on the Energy Saving Trust website, and it made two recommendations. The first was that I should increase the amount of insulation in my loft (which I shall do) and the other was that I should change to a more efficient condensing boiler. The survey results claimed that, "Typically an Energy Saving Recommended rated boiler uses around a third less fuel than a 15 year old appliance." I think I'll keep my present boiler for another year or two if I can, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Condensing boilers are soooo much more efficient and cheaper to run (i.e. several times cheaper based on personal experience), it seems a bit silly to switch because of a freezing pipe. Worst case, point a hair dryer at the pipe.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MalUK wrote: »
    Condensing boilers are soooo much more efficient and cheaper to run (i.e. several times cheaper based on personal experience), it seems a bit silly to switch because of a freezing pipe. Worst case, point a hair dryer at the pipe.

Put some of that foam pipe insulation round the pipe outside that will stop freezing in normal winter weather.

It is not always possible to run the pipe inside the house. When the older boilers were installed the location of them in the vicinity of a drainage system did not arise.

I can verify that a condensing boiler is far more economical and efficient and will certainly save power costs. But then saying that while your old boiler keeps working just keep it as to replace it will cost several hundred pounds, so even if it is not so efficient why replace something which still works OK.

My old boiler gave me over 30 years of service and I have no doubt in my mind that the one I had installed last year which was by no means the cheapest model on the market but the more expensive type will not last me 30 years.

It's a good boiler but nothing made these days is built to last, be it a car, cooker, toaster, boiler or a bicycle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    It's a good boiler but nothing made these days is built to last, be it a car, cooker, toaster, boiler or a bicycle.
    I think a mistake people make with combination/condensing boilers is they run them at full power. When mine was first installed they set everything to max. I turned the central heating and hot water dials down a notch each day until the radiators and water weren't hot enough, and then put them back up a notch.

Essentially, it is now running on half power, which means it's even cheaper, and hopefully the circuit board that controls the boiler won't succumb to the heat as easily - a known problem with the low end boilers such as Ideal Isar models.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    I had my combie boiler put in by the local council a few years ago and it started freezing up the week before christmas and i was having to defrost the outside pipe every morning by heating up a kettle and pouring boiling hot water over the pipe and i've been away from the North East, staying in the West Midland from the 22nd December, returning next week on January 3rd and for safety reasons because of that while i've been away i turned the water off at stop cock and drained the water while i've been away. I've had a neighbour come in every day to check that it's ok but it's been a big worry while i've been away and i'll be returning to a freezing cold house with no heating on. Although i do have a gas fire in the living room for when i return.
    Ian.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    My philosophy is that if it works, don't try and fix it.

I've asked my plumber about replacing my 25 year old Stelrad gas boiler and he basically said don't bother, as it's very reliable, more so than many modern boilers.

It copes just fine with supplying 9 radiators via a Grundfos circulation pump, 2 showers and hot water to 8 sinks/washbasins in this HMO (rented accommodation).

In additional to there being 6 gas cookers in the house, 2 large water tanks in the loft (which are now doubly lagged), you can imagine how complicated the plumbing system is here.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    mine`s a combi, it`s packed up 7 times in three years, for two of them i havn`t used it.
    i wouldn`t know what it`s like in the cold weather, it doesn`t seem to keen.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    My condensing boiler got frozen up during the first of the cold weather. the -14 night, which was fun. When the landlord's plumber came out, he said it was the frozen outlet pipe but the issue was it had been cut too long, almost touching the drain; so it didn't take much for a stalagmite to form back up it. Been fine since he cut it shorter.