"Blockbusters" on Challenge TV

Comments

• steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to be on 14th May now. :confused:

Yep! 1 more week of Bullseye then thats gone. Blockbusters has been heavily hyped.

I wonder how much it cost them to get the TNA stars to do a advert promoting it.
  • TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    I like Blockbusters but I think it would be better if it was one contestant against one, or two against two.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Blockbusters but I think it would be better if it was one contestant against one, or two against two.

Then it would be a normal game show without the unique twist it was designed for it was made to show if two heads were better than one.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah it seems a bit of cheating every game having 2 vs 1. Hardly seems fair I mean all the single player has to do is get one less answer to win.
  • TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Yeah it seems a bit of cheating every game having 2 vs 1. Hardly seems fair I mean all the single player has to do is get one less answer to win.

This is exactly my thinking, steven. If I was going to be a contestant, I'd certainly rather enter with somebody else than go it alone.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Bump up for later today. Getting a little excited now (Huge fan here)
  • Flying FoxFlying Fox Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    This is exactly my thinking, steven. If I was going to be a contestant, I'd certainly rather enter with somebody else than go it alone.
    I believe that in the old days anyway, all contestants turned up in pairs, and only found out at the last moment whether both of them were playing. How they decided who sat it out I have no idea.

As for the fairness or otherwise of the 2 against 1 format, I always assumed that to make sure the game couldn't end in a tie or draw, the blocks had to be hexagonal. That means that each side is effectively playing a different game - the single player with the shorter route can be blocked with a single answer, whereas to inhibit the progress of the double team normally requires two answers. There must be statistics out there showing how the balance between single and double players worked out over the long term.

What used to nark be more than anything was that when the game had been reduced to Bob's favourite "mutual space", they always went straight for it rather than picking up all the other money first. I believe they were told not to do this. It will be interesting to see how this is handled in the new series - I'd guess it will simply be a rule that they must go for it immediately.
  • OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone's interested, the new version - hosted by Simon Mayo(naise) - starts Monday at 8pm.

Will give this a watch - I'll have a T please Simon, with milk and 1 sugar.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky have already tried and failed to bring Blockbusters back before, it was presented by Liza Tarbuck and was on Sky One. I don't see this version being any different to be honest, and I imagine after this series it will disappear never to be seen again. I think the show is too much 'of it's time' and just won't work in modern day settings when people are used to much bigger and better formats and prizes. It may do well at the start but the audience will trail by the end and it will get cancelled. Sadly.
  • moodysuzmoodysuz Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Orangecrab wrote: »
    Will give this a watch - I'll have a T please Simon, with milk and 1 sugar.

that made me titter :) i will be watching tonight :D
  • soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,781
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Sky have already tried and failed to bring Blockbusters back before, it was presented by Liza Tarbuck and was on Sky One. I don't see this version being any different to be honest, and I imagine after this series it will disappear never to be seen again. I think the show is too much 'of it's time' and just won't work in modern day settings when people are used to much bigger and better formats and prizes. It may do well at the start but the audience will trail by the end and it will get cancelled. Sadly.

Goodness, can you be any more negative?! You're forgetting that Blockbusters has been sorely missed, has a huge fanbase amongst old and young alike and has been hyped heavily for it's long-awaited return. There is whole new fanbase to be built now it's back. If they didn't think it was worth the money or the effort they wouldn't have revived it. The beauty of this new series is that it will be as identical to the original as it can possibly be and not some trashy rehash as we've seen before. Simon Mayo only agreed to step in as host providing it was to be 'classic' Blockbusters and to do the late lamented Bob proud. Watch it first, then form an opinion!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Plus its on freeview this time round so its possible audience is at least double any previous Sky attempt.
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Bump up for later today. Getting a little excited now (Huge fan here)

Me too I'm also a massive fan! I think Simon will do a great job and do Bob proud as promised. I've waited years for this! I am not entirely happy with the new theme although I can live with it! Why couldn't they just use a shortened version of the original?
    Forum Member
    Arkudos wrote: »
    Plus its on freeview this time round so its possible audience is at least double any previous Sky attempt.

Excellent point! I also believe it has been promo'd across many sky channels and not just challenge so it stands a good chance of satisfactory viewing figures.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was also presented by Bob Holness on Sky One.for a year or two after it left ITV in 1992.
  • ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    It's nearly time!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't see this version being any different to be honest, and I imagine after this series it will disappear never to be seen again..
    It will be repeated on Challenge for years to come
    Forum Member
    You're right - it will be repeated as often as Donny Osmond's Pyramid Game is lol
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Hehe, the board graphics look worse now than they did in the old early series :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Simon Mayonnaise:eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I remember buying the blockbuster game for the spectrum computer:)
    Forum Member
    Maybe I'm being silly, but would have been nice to have a caption board for Bob Holness at the beginning or end of the episode?
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It will be repeated on Challenge for years to come

So he shouldn't really have started by saying "This is All New Blockbusters, a brand new series......"

edit: unless they're planning to edit it for the repeats.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they hexagons need to make a noise when they change?

A question is it ever possible to have a tie on the board can it be done?
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far (and I know it's only been half a programme but nonetheless...) this is seriously lacking the charm of the ITV original.