Options

UFC Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    nazzacnazzac Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I am a big mma fan.

My favorites fighters are Chris Weidman and Jon Jones mainly because i followed them from the beginning of their careers, and predicted big things for them when they were rising.

I have been proven right by both of them :D
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT Sports aren't showing the Nelson fight live, having to watch a rubbish stream with foreign commentary. Can't wait until 9.30 tonight, bound to see the result before then. :(
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the judges need more training and need to stop awarding fights to the home fighter when they lost. Walsh had the first 2 rounds no doubt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rory Macdonald won his fight and just acted as though he was getting his dinner out of the microwave, the dude is stone cold.
  • Options
    Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what has happened to the TUF female version.. seems to have stopped for some reason
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what has happened to the TUF female version.. seems to have stopped for some reason

Major League Baseball playoffs. It was postponed for two weeks back this coming week
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cain Velasquez hurt his knee and is out of UFC 180, they must not expect him back anytime soon, because they're doing Fabricio Werdum vs. Mark Hunt for the interim heavyweight title.

Bad for UFC, but Werdum v Hunt is arguably more interesting than Werdum v Velasquez.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Ive become a bit disappointed with the UFC this year, ive been watching back at some of the older fight nights, it started to become huge from about UFC 40 with Shamrock and Ortiz, the build up etc... it felt as big as some of Boxings big fights.

Over the last couple of years because of the influx of fighters, it now feels a bit watered down, the big fights aren't there anymore imo, with the amount of belts these days, they could have a huge fight every month, it just doesnt happen in the way it used to, the only fight i'm really looking forward to is Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano at 182, whereas 5-10 years ago i looked forward to every months fight, it could just be because i'm watching some of the old classics.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    Ive become a bit disappointed with the UFC this year, ive been watching back at some of the older fight nights, it started to become huge from about UFC 40 with Shamrock and Ortiz, the build up etc... it felt as big as some of Boxings big fights.

Over the last couple of years because of the influx of fighters, it now feels a bit watered down, the big fights aren't there anymore imo, with the amount of belts these days, they could have a huge fight every month, it just doesnt happen in the way it used to, the only fight i'm really looking forward to is Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano at 182, whereas 5-10 years ago i looked forward to every months fight, it could just be because i'm watching some of the old classics.

I think lots of people think that way, there aren't the stars there there used to be, I bet they're praying Conor McGregor keeps winning and doesn't get injured as he is the one with the biggest potential.

I think there's little doubt from a fans point of view there are too many shows now, though UFC would no doubt say they're all profitable.

My interest is also far less than it was round the time of UFC 100, though I do still watch all the numbered shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man, Leslie Smith's ear was nasty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still watch all the cards.. but the problem is they dont have enough fighters on the roster to fill all the fight cards with quality
    plus I think the UFC lets them go far too easily after a few hiccups

I really think they are backing the wrong horse with Conor McGregor as the promotions golden boy... no way will he last 5 rounds with Jose Aldo and to be honest does not deserve to be in the same ring at this point of his career

the Womens MMA is a Laughing stock for serious fight fans the odd fight turns out OK but the Majority slap each other rather than punch - put the kettle on when the Ladies fight as it does nothing for me at all

the Lightweight division is currently the most stacked with some great talent lining up in the top 10
    really looking forward to Pettis V Melendez
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god that main event was infuriating. All he did was lay on top of him and swing, so boring. He spoke afterwards as though he was something special, pathetic
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep I'd agree with that. Way too many events in a year now, with very little depth to any of the fight cards. The hard disk of my sky box if 70% full of UFC events & pre-lims that I haven't bothered to fast forward through yet. As a result I'm probably missing out on any of the "good" new talent and so my interest further deminishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nate Diaz had a bad week with him running his mouth and then getting the biggest beat down of his entire career
    the Lightweight division sure is stacked at the moment
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Sorry but never been a Diaz brother fan, I think the pair are a couple of gangsta wannabe scrots, more talk than trousers as my old dad would say. I know we all have our heroes and villains but I cannot understand why Dana White still employs them both.
    You know the Silva v Nick Diaz fight is going only one way with the Brazilian gaining another win and Mr Diaz pouting like a little girl and telling the world his little brother was robbed in the Dos Anjos fight.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else looking forward to the Rousey defence, and the Bones fight?

That along with Spider's comeback are the most headline worthy and interesting fights coming up shortly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else looking forward to the Rousey defence, and the Bones fight?

That along with Spider's comeback are the most headline worthy and interesting fights coming up shortly.

No interest in Womans fighting but Jones v Cormier looks like been a great fight (hopefully) no way can I back any one other than Jones as the winner though I think he has too many tools in the locker for Cormier

Pretty fed up of the Diaz brothers causing trouble I used to be huge fans of both but they have slowly both dragged the selves into the gutter... and both have got very poor recent records
  • Options
    SprungthwapSprungthwap Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Yo, is anyone watching the Jones - Cormier fight tonight, gonna be the best fight in a while I think.

Jones should win but Cormier is looking so strong and determined.

Also, the undercard looks pretty good as well,Donald Cerrone coming in with a lot of momentum is fighting and he's and and Marquardt fighting too.

Anyone?
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Pumped for it but will likely watch it all in the morning as I'm watching the Steelers game.

Really hoping Cormier can pull it off, not even taking a shot at predicting this one though. Pretty damn awesome month of fights.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    First event I've watched for a while I think Jones will win but I hope DC can pull it off. Either way I just hope the tiredness I suffer tomorrow will have been worth it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was the most exciting boring fight ever, Cormier wilted and it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to knock Jones out. Looked more like a sparring match for him in the later rounds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    First three rounds were decent, Jones looked a bit lethargic to me, but DC seemed to wilt in the last 2 rounds.

For all the hype over the last month the PPV never really got going imo, dull fights on the undercard, it all felt flat, they really have lost the knack of showing great exciting PPV's, i remember the days when there were movie stars in the crowd, when it felt like PPV's were huge spectacles. I still enjoy the UFC but it doesnt feel the same anymore for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First three rounds were decent, Jones looked a bit lethargic to me, but DC seemed to wilt in the last 2 rounds.

For all the hype over the last month the PPV never really got going imo, dull fights on the undercard, it all felt flat, they really have lost the knack of showing great exciting PPV's, i remember the days when there were movie stars in the crowd, when it felt like PPV's were huge spectacles. I still enjoy the UFC but it doesnt feel the same anymore for me.

They still get plenty of movie stars attending but sadly the depth of fighters is not nearly enough as it should be with the resulting boring fights
    the Jones Cormier was very poor after all the hype etc

I was expecting a real ding dong tussle but sadly bored to tears with that fight
    it seems like the when they have been champion they are so scared of losing it that they completely clam up and are so defensive that it really hurts them from what they were in the beginning
    GSP a great example of great fighter turned to boring as hell and Bones now seems to be suffering the same
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Actually enjoyed the Cerrone vs Fury fight more than anything, think it's about time Donald get's a title shot.
    The Jones/DC fight was a big let down, lots of hype leading up to the fight then all just a big bag of wind. At least we have some good head lining fights coming up in the next few months.