OK admit it, who else cried at the ending to VATD?

Comments

• KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Thought it was a phenomenal episode and sure, had a tear at the end.

Best of the best so far!
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have to say I did shed a tear at Tennant's departure
    Yes, I almost wept tears of joy at that, too.

But only almost, as I'm not a complete wuss.:D
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I almost wept tears of joy at that, too.

But only almost, as I'm not a complete wuss.:D

take note I only said 'a tear'. Lol! :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the ending had me a bit watery eyed. it was such an emotive story. Even the (slightly rubbish) Alien thing dying - blind, alone and so very afraid - was heart wrenching for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Kaylan wrote: »
    I worry for our nation.

What was to cry about, a good episode, but no tear jerker!

Some people really need to get a grip!

What people find moving is subjective. Worrying for the country because some people had a different reaction to a scene in Doctor Who is taking things overboard, I think.
    semiminted wrote: »
    i watch with my son [10] so i choke it in
    he has aspergers so feels little emotion
    i ask him "how do you feel"
    he says "alright, why havent we seen more of the monster"

nuff said

I don't think Aspergers has anything to do with that:D! How many ten year old boys do you know who would be more interested in the tearjerker than the monster? :p

And this is a bit pedantic so sorry- but it isn't that people with Aspergers don't feel emotion, we just don't show it as well. I mean, I know I do care about family/friends, I'll worry about them when things go wrong or miss them if I haven't seen them for ages, but I can't remember the last time I said 'I love you' or anything like that to somebody's face. I find it really awkward to get those sort of words out.:o

In all fairness you will get the occasional uber-logical Spock, just as you'll get the occasional Julian Claryesque gay man, but most people aren't like that.

I didn't cry, but only because I don't tend to cry at fiction- I didn't even manage it with Barefoot Gen. But it was definitely a really nice scene, and fully deserving to be called a Tearjerker.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started welling up when I twigged they were taking him back to the gallery. It was beautiful.
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even watch Doctor Who, but I caught the end of this and it really got to me. As a lifelong admirer of van Gogh, and often lamenting the tragedy that he was never appreciated in his lifetime, the thought of him seeing how admired he truly is really did make me slightly emotional! :P

On a seperate note, this really reminded me of Crows, one of the short films in the magnificent Dreams, one of the last works of Akira Kurosawa. It revolves around an art student in Japan who falls into van Gogh's work and meets the man himself (played by Martin Scorsese, no less!).
  • semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turquoise wrote: »

I don't think Aspergers has anything to do with that:D! How many ten year old boys do you know who would be more interested in the tearjerker than the monster? :p

And this is a bit pedantic so sorry- but it isn't that people with Aspergers don't feel emotion, we just don't show it as well. .

it is off topic, but, the psycologist that he has, has said that i havent accepted the aspergers yet.

he could be right but, i know he is diagnosed, but how do you know if you have accepted it or not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even had me going wtaching it again on Confidential
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    I don't even watch Doctor Who, but I caught the end of this and it really got to me. As a lifelong admirer of van Gogh, and often lamenting the tragedy that he was never appreciated in his lifetime, the thought of him seeing how admired he truly is really did make me slightly emotional! :P

Along with Blink, Human nature and Family of Blood this is one of the episodes that I would use to try to explain to a non Dr Who fan what I see in the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't really cry at all really, I got a tear in my eye when Van Gogh started to cry, but not enough for it to fall down my cheek....I think the length of the ending took away the emotions a bit for me...maybe part of it was because i knew what was happening as a few of the reviews were kind enough to give a bit too much detail away....plus that song was quite distracting.....
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neel wrote: »
    Along with Blink, Human nature and Family of Blood this is one of the episodes that I would use to try to explain to a non Dr Who fan what I see in the show.

I used to watch this with Christopher Ecclestone and the first series with David Tennant, but I'm very odd when it comes to science fiction. I enjoyed the settings, character building and eras shown immensely, but found the fighting and the monsters disappointing. Sadly, they simply don't have enough for anything other than the monsters and battles in just 45 minutes. Told you I'm odd :D.

On another note, I have Asperger's myself, and DID find what I saw rather emotional, and as I said, am completely unmoved by any "action".
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was very moved when I clicked that they were bringing van Gogh to the gallery. When actor playing van Gogh welled up I nearly welled up too, and kept telling myself to get a grip.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a Doctor Who moment.
    I admit it, I welled up when Vincent cried.

Well Done to all involved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    semiminted wrote: »
    it is off topic, but, the psycologist that he has, has said that i havent accepted the aspergers yet.

he could be right but, i know he is diagnosed, but how do you know if you have accepted it or not?

I don't know how you would know- these things are different for everyone. But I will say that chances are you'll have a better idea about how you feel about the situation than the psychologist- or anyone else- will.

So, forgetting the psychologist for a moment- how do you feel right now about his diagnosis?
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't cry (I almost never do) but I did find it very emotionally satisfying. Tony Curran was terrific as Vincent, and his reaction on seeing his work being so appreciated over a hundred years on, almost transported with emotion, was just fabulous.

Could have done without the pointless monster and just had a straight historical, almost, but I suppose the viewers now wouldn't see that as proper Dr Who.
  • sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have to say I did shed a tear at Tennant's departure but that was probably to do with the large bottle of wine consumed at that time on New Years Day. Had cider tonight, this episode didn't get me going like that! lol!:D

For me this was the most teary moment since Ten wiped Donna's mind. I thought Vincent might break down all together and do something that would prevent the Doctor returning him to his own time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah I cried ... this one I could identify with (being bipolar) and felt it right through my bones

The end with Van Gogh in the museum was just beautiful

This episode made up what all other lacked in pure emotion and character development
  • mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt cry because I think its diminished the truth and real sadness of Van Gogh's story. I think it was trite to have him "discover" his fame as his not knowing was such a huge part of who he was and what made his art.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mousy wrote: »
    I didnt cry because I think its diminished the truth and real sadness of Van Gogh's story..

you do realise this show isn't real life, don't you?:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one! :)

Not just one of the best Dr Who episodes ever, one of the best tv programmes ever. So moving... very very rarely does a tv programme do that to me...

Full marks to all concerned with the making of last night's Dr Who. They all deserve a pat on the back for creating something a bit special...
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one! :)

Not just one of the best Dr Who episodes ever, one of the best tv programmes ever. So moving... very very rarely does a tv programme do that to me...

Full marks to all concerned with the making of last night's Dr Who. They all deserve a pat on the back for creating something a bit special...

I like what you said so much I've just made this my facebook status for today!!
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cried - a lot - but I am half-Italian!

I suspect that my husband filled up too, but he pretended he was sneezing! :)
  • sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt cry because I think its diminished the truth and real sadness of Van Gogh's story. I think it was trite to have him "discover" his fame as his not knowing was such a huge part of who he was and what made his art. /QUOTE]

This is pure speculation. I would venture a guess that his unique way of seeing the world has a lot to do with what makes his art for us today.
  • mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sonic157 wrote: »
    I didnt cry because I think its diminished the truth and real sadness of Van Gogh's story. I think it was trite to have him "discover" his fame as his not knowing was such a huge part of who he was and what made his art. /QUOTE]

This is pure speculation. I would venture a guess that his unique way of seeing the world has a lot to do with what makes his art for us today.

yes I do agree but the tale that he could have known his destiny would surely have had an effect on his work