• Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,313
    Forum Member
    Old Grey Whistle Test, anyone?
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the late 1990s they never had regular presenters. Jayne Middlemiss and Jamie Theakston appeared the most frequently but quite a few others appeared as well such as Jo Whiley, Kate Thornton, Gail Porter, Zoe Ball, Sara Cox, Scott Mills and Katy Hill. At that point the program was still popular, but when Tim Kash, Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates took over as regulars in the early 00s the program died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    The chart show format just doesnt work, it offers the viewers little new, and either the artist is incapable of preforming for TV, or those with that talent are asked to preform the same track they just played for 2 monts before hand.

So IMO a new format is required, a format that offer something you simply dont get elsewhere, that is talent bands, being given the freedom to record something of there choice, the freedom to duet with someone unusal, to create a peice of music unique to the program, something Radio 1 & Radio 2, do with Live Lounge or Great British Song Book.

CD:uk worked very well for a while, considering it was in a Saturday late morning slot it got very high audience figures. However, part of that success was down to using Ant and Dec and Cat Deeley as presenters, but those presenters were too good for the time slot so they got offered better jobs and left inferior presenters to kill off CD:uk.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »
    CD:uk worked very well for a while, considering it was in a Saturday late morning slot it got very high audience figures. However, part of that success was down to using Ant and Dec and Cat Deeley as presenters, but those presenters were too good for the time slot so they got offered better jobs and left inferior presenters to kill off CD:uk.
    CD:UK did have the advantage is that is not linked to the chart, it did use (I think) the midweek chart, but unlike TOTP it was no slave to it. Also as you said it had good hosts.

Obviously when Richard Desmond was talking about reviving TOTP on Channel 5, it was clear it would be alot more realistic for him to revive CD:UK (a commercailly avabile format) , and a format that Five at one stage did buy the rights to, but never used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD:UK#Aborted_revival

CD:UK has the advantage that it isnt slave to the charts, but most of its music was chart based, im not sure it is differnt enough from TOTP to work.

That said retitle it CD:X Factor:UK, and you maybe on to something.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I used to watch that, in fact I preferred it to Top of the Pops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD:UKs big advantage was that it went out before the chart, which meant that watching it meant you learnt something.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    CD:UKs big advantage was that it went out before the chart, which meant that watching it meant you learnt something.

It was how I always found out who was No 1 that week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was how I always found out who was No 1 that week.
    it wasnt always correct, if there was a week with a big chart battle, it may have had it wrong, but the rest of the time it was dead on.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    On a side note, I know that 6 music do a show where unsigned or new acts are given a spotlight. I think it would be an idea to film these bands and show it on BBC4 as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all im giong to say this on record, I think its intersting that alot of the ideas, are coming from BBC radio.
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    On a side note, I know that 6 music do a show where unsigned or new acts are given a spotlight. I think it would be an idea to film these bands and show it on BBC4 as well.
    I dont know if BBC 4 is right, but why not have "6 Music on BBC Three". Also in some respects the BBC is arleady doing this, the Radio 1 & Radio 2 live sessions, often are recorded and put either online or on the red button.

That said it might be intersting to take some acts played on 6 Music, pair them with people with genine talent, in a mentor type role, the mentor will school the act, take them to record studios, live gigs at a club from there past, record a song with them, help them right a new song.

So you get all that footage, and preformances of a couple of tracks on BBC Thee, along with 2 or 3 other acts.

I really dont know, its hard to come up with a music show with any creditabilty these days, music is too commercail.
  • Options
    currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO!
    There's so many music tv channels these days it's not warranted.
    And You tube.
    Who wants to see those getting their 15 minutes of fame miming anyway.
    NO!
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    First of all im giong to say this on record, I think its intersting that alot of the ideas, are coming from BBC radio.

I dont know if BBC 4 is right, but why not have "6 Music on BBC Three". Also in some respects the BBC is arleady doing this, the Radio 1 & Radio 2 live sessions, often are recorded and put either online or on the red button.

That said it might be intersting to take some acts played on 6 Music, pair them with people with genine talent, in a mentor type role, the mentor will school the act, take them to record studios, live gigs at a club from there past, record a song with them, help them right a new song.

So you get all that footage, and preformances of a couple of tracks on BBC Thee, along with 2 or 3 other acts.

I really dont know, its hard to come up with a music show with any creditabilty these days, music is too commercail.

I think the concept with having unsigned or new unknown bands and giving them airtime on BBC3/BBC4 is something that is a good thing for a PSB to do. They're helping establishing talent rather than just boosting the bigger acts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe its because ive seen a couple of episodes of Robot Wars on Dave, or because he is currently in for Steve Wright, and the fact has already has a 6 music show, I think my suggested show should be hosted by Craig Charles.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,637
    Forum Member
    the revival of TOTP has been discussed before, and attempting to link it to Doctor Who is a straw man, of no real use.

The problem with TOTP is that unlike X-Factor is that it is the result.

the TOTP format is basically the Top 20 songs from the sales chart, where as X-Factor is in effect you building the chart (fhte chart being the Top 10 of that weeks preformances)

The commercail nature of chart music has not helped matters, for so longer now music has been around 2 or even 3 months, before it charts, and then drops out of the Top 10 quickly.

Some commercail acts being apparntly incapable of preforming there track in a TV studio, opting to mime, or just not bothering.

For the BBCs part, one problem is that TOTP aired on Friday, 5 days after the chart went out, that is unforgivable, it is far to late, finding out who topped the chart is all to easy, the BBCs own Radio 1 will tell you at about 18:50 on Sunday afternoon, whilst website update soon after.

The chart show format just doesnt work, it offers the viewers little new, and either the artist is incapable of preforming for TV, or those with that talent are asked to preform the same track they just played for 2 monts before hand.

So IMO a new format is required, a format that offer something you simply dont get elsewhere, that is talent bands, being given the freedom to record something of there choice, the freedom to duet with someone unusal, to create a peice of music unique to the program, something Radio 1 & Radio 2, do with Live Lounge or Great British Song Book.

Of course the problem with this is of course that the chart topping commercail acts, dont have that talent, and even if they do, there record labels wont support it, this wont be good for ratings, artisic music is nice, but its not where the money/ratings are.

Of course that isnt TOTP, and im not totally convinced it will bring in viewers, who can simply catch the part featuring there favourite artist on iPlayer, saving 25 minutes of there lives.

Times have changed, music is even more commercail, people have change, technology has changed, some people may have to face the facts that a weekly chart show just isnt going to work.

Of course there is a reason im not a highly paid program development officer at a TV channel somewhere, so maybe im wrong, but I dont think I am.

I agree, it was unacceptable that TOTP used to air 4/5 days after the Chart goes out especially, when it started to become easier to access Music with other forms of Media becoming more advanced,. Also moving TOTP to Fridays didn't help as well, as then it competed with Coronation Street.

CD:UK had the advantage of being on for 1 hour, rather than 30 min as TOTP was, so could preview new Single releases, & interviews. A CD:UK type of show on Saturday Evenings might work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It stands a much better chance of working than TOTP, also if its on ITV, it can have some X-Factor crossover.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvphil wrote: »
    Watching a live performance is not the same as watching the video on a music channel.

Many of the acts that have been promoted through X-Factor would be ideal to be shown on a revived TOTP - as well as other bands and acts in the charts.

I do not really see why it wouldn't work.

1. Because most of the acts on the x factor flop quickly.

2. Because most of the acts on the x factor can't perform live without autotune or miming.

3. Because most of the acts on the x factor constitute a small section of what is popular among the music buying public.

Aside from all that times have changed. Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's the singles chart was important and singles sales were huge. People really did listen to the top 40 to see who was number one. Those days are gone and times have changed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I think there is a lot of potential in a reboot of TOTP, but I agree that it would need to be reinvented far more than simply throwing a new logo at it.

Format wise, I'd include an informal interview element inbetween performances so it's less pithy banter between presenters to fill time. There's definitely a gap in the market for a large scale promotional platform for big guest appearances. Perhaps it could be just one constant presenter, with a series of interchanging co-presenters just to keep the dynamic fresh but retain a sense of familiarity.

Slot wise, it would need to be weekly. The monthly idea would be too erratic for people to follow, if you want regular viewers you need to make it as easy as possible to watch. It could possibly be a half hour show, aired in prime time on Saturday so to be in anticipation of the chart results on Sunday.

Guest wise, they would be in a very good position by having such a wide range of performers. As well as the international acts (Gaga, Rihanna, BEP), they can also get acts who would never go near the X Factor off of their prestige (Muse, KOL etc.) as well as small scale acts (Ellie, xx, Florence etc.) and newcomers. It would be large scale enough to keep people's attention, but also have an air of credibility for nurturing British talent and being about music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it wasnt always correct, if there was a week with a big chart battle, it may have had it wrong, but the rest of the time it was dead on.

I'm sure on the first ever CD:UK they said something like if you're favourite act isn't top then you've still got time to make them No1 before tomorrow but later on they went to saying that acts should be celebrating as they're number 1 in the CD:UK chart.

The fact TOTP was on Fri 7:30 and CD:UK was on Sat 11:30 and they used different weeks charts probably didn't help TOTP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    The fact that the show is entitled Top of the Pops — and therefore by definition would have to mostly feature songs in the current Singles Chart — would not bode well.

It would limit its viewers only to those who believe The X Factor produces awesome talent and therefore buy/download the resulting product, i.e. the teeny-boppers.

To appeal to a wider audience, the programme would need to include "good" music (and by "good", I mean any that isn't samey, over-produced or manipulated and features musicianship, strong melodies and natural vocals, performed live).

It would have to be combination of The Old Grey Whistle Test and Later..., with perhaps a bit of The Tube thrown in for good measure.

In short, anything that allows today's generation to discover that there's more to music than Simon Cowell. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nonentity wrote: »
    The fact that the show is entitled Top of the Pops — and therefore by definition would have to mostly feature songs in the current Singles Chart — would not bode well.

Or does it? What about using the album chart instead? That way you keep acts like Rihanna and Take That but bring in acts like BonJovi, Kings of Leon and The Script (based on the current chart) and leave out people like Katy B and Cee Lo Green, who I'd never heard of until I just looked at the Top 40 chart just then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    What about using the album chart instead?

Good point. The original TOTP was all about singles but there's no reason album tracks couldn't be featured instead. The singles would continue to get airplay on the radio and the best of the rest could be showcased on the telly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or does it? What about using the album chart instead? That way you keep acts like Rihanna and Take That but bring in acts like BonJovi, Kings of Leon and The Script (based on the current chart) and leave out people like Katy B and Cee Lo Green, who I'd never heard of until I just looked at the Top 40 chart just then.

But then that would leave out the best acts? You could do that if people wanted music on tv for the sake of having music, but if you want groups like that, then they are on music channels 24/7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ben_122 wrote: »
    But then that would leave out the best acts? You could do that if people wanted music on tv for the sake of having music, but if you want groups like that, then they are on music channels 24/7.

You mean the best acts are one hit wonders that never release a successful album?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that's not been pointed out is the BBC failed to notice a change in licence requirements for live music venues with public audiences. This meant that the last few months of TOTP before it closed down had audiences consisting only of BBC employees, which I imagine would affect audience numbers as there aren't people looking out for themselves or their friends on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonentity wrote: »
    Good point. The original TOTP was all about singles but there's no reason album tracks couldn't be featured instead. The singles would continue to get airplay on the radio and the best of the rest could be showcased on the telly.
    making it also about Album could lead to exculsive preformances of album tracks, making uique materail, or maybe some kind of single medley, (of the singles from the album) there are ideas around that.