Gary is complaining about Nick's song

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
Forum Member
On Xtra Factor tonight Gary told Louis that Candy was a horrible song choice for Nicholas. He pointed out that Nicholas had a lovely voice and should have been given a song to showcase it. About time someone pointed this out.

Comments

• thmsthms Posts: 61,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad Gary pointed out how good a singer Nicholas is..
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish Gary had mentioned this earlier in the series - might have reigned in some of Louis' horrible decisions re Nicholas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    mmpfb wrote: »
    I wish Gary had mentioned this earlier in the series - might have reigned in some of Louis' horrible decisions re Nicholas.
    Oh I think Louis had some help with those horrible choices.
  • bigbro24bigbro24 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could barely get through the lyrics and Candy is not really a proper song is it. Louis went with a popular song from a male solo popstar but it was a lazy choice from Louis
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Gary co-write that awful song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song itself is great but aaaall wrong for Nicholas, if he wanted to do uptempo he should have done Dance With Me Tonight by Olly. Candy is too much like a nursery rhyme and doesn't have the 'moment' he needed to showcase his vocals. Not that the Olly song does but it'd have been a better choice for him, I feel.
  • girlinstaticgirlinstatic Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YankeeGirl wrote: »

This. Honestly, I think Louis would tow the line if TPTB wanted to sabotage someone. No one expects Louis to have good taste so it can go largely unnoticed ;-)
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a truly bizarre choice of song for a final of a (supposed) singing competition. For starters, Nicholas is hardly an entertainer, is he? He was predictably stiff and awkward up there. And two, it hardly showcases a singer's vocals, does it? Might as well have picked Jingle Bells.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Amazing wrote: »

Yes, but he wrote it for Robbie Williams so...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YankeeGirl wrote: »

Well yes, very probably. A***holes.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing wrote: »

Correct . I'm still amazed he agreed to put his name to it tbh.

I'd of let the other writer take full credit or that lousy excuse for a song .
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Correct . I'm still amazed he agreed to put his name to it tbh.

I'd of let the other writer take full credit or that lousy excuse for a song .

It's a great, fun song! Though only when sung by Robbie. Someone like Nicholas singing it is a bad move!

Anyway you can't blame Gary so much for the song seeing as Robbie wrote the lyrics and the music was majorly adapted from this - http://youtu.be/gawaOK8C4x8?t=43s Gary just came up with the 'Hey ho' chorus, it seems...

Another fun fact is that Candy was originally written with Lily Allen in mind. :cool:
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    'Candy' only suits Robbie because his strength isn't in singing as such, it's mainly in upbeat songs that get the crowds going, which isn't suitable for Nicholas.. especially in the all important final. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    It was an awful choice for nicky even though i love the song
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicholas should've sung "Angels" by Robbie instead if he wanted a Robbie Williams song. I wonder who chose "Candy" the song is flat so it can't show off his voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    Nicholas should've sung "Angels" by Robbie instead if he wanted a Robbie Williams song. I wonder who chose "Candy" the song is flat so it can't show off his voice.

Whoever wanted to make sure he couldn't win. TPTB/Louis.
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    thms wrote: »
    Glad Gary pointed out how good a singer Nicholas is..

After criticising Nicholas the whole series? What a bl**dy hypocrite!
  • amanda daisyamanda daisy Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    After criticising Nicholas the whole series? What a bl**dy hypocrite!
    Please do point out some of the negative comments he gave Nicholas. I do remember Nicholas murdering Greatest Day and Gary being a gentleman about it. How is he a hypocrite for pointing out that Louis made a bad choice?
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »

He was already singing a song about Angels so they wouldn't have two ;-)

I think Robbie's Angels would have suited Luke :)
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not a song to showcase your vocal range. Its one for an entertainer or performer to put on a show rather than a young boy. Louis was just dense and kept deflecting saying Gary had written it and didnt get the point.

Nicholas came top the week he performed Robbie's She's the One, they could and should have chosen a different song of his to show Nicholas's voice off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not a song to showcase your vocal range. Its one for an entertainer or performer to put on a show rather than a young boy. Louis was just dense and kept deflecting saying Gary had written it and didnt get the point.

Nicholas came top the week he performed Robbie's She's the One, they could and should have chosen a different song of his to show Nicholas's voice off.

I don't believe was dense. I think he knew exactly what he was doing. I met him once and he was nothing like the 'loveable doofus' he portrays on screen. It was chosen because it wouldn't work in Nicholas' favour - anyone could see that without having to see the actual performance.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    mmpfb wrote: »
    I don't believe was dense. I think he knew exactly what he was doing. I met him once and he was nothing like the 'loveable doofus' he portrays on screen. It was chosen because it wouldn't work in Nicholas' favour - anyone could see that without having to see the actual performance.

I agree. It was all planned on a grassy knoll by Elvis.