Villarreal V Barcelona- Dani Alves' response to racism from the crowd

2»

Comments

• henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    quite possibly THE most ignorant post I have come across in my entire time here.

You obviously are well travelled.

Which countries are now not more racist than the UK? I can think of only 5 stretching it to be generous. There are 192 member States of the United Nations.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    You obviously are well travelled.

Which countries are now not more racist than the UK? I can think of only 5 stretching it. There are 192 member States of the United Nations.

Which begs the question how you know about the levels of racism in Benin and Bhutan not to mention countless others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which begs the question how you know about the levels of racism in Benin and Bhutan not to mention countless others.

Not been to Benin.

But racism is institutional in Bhutan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Asia

I'll leave you to Google for "Racism in Benin".

Not saying the UK is perfect. Far from it with the rise of a far right party here as well. But certainly less racist (now) than (almost) everywhere else.
    Forum Member
    Not been to Benin.

But racism is institutional in Bhutan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Asia

I'll leave you to Google for "Racism in Benin".

What about the other 190 countries in the UN? Have you googled all of them and made comprehensive comparisons with the UK?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the other 190 countries in the UN? Have you googled all of them and made comprehensive comparisons with the UK?

You have had 2 goes. Name another 4 countries you think are less racist than the UK.
    Forum Member
    You have had 2 goes. Name another 4 countries you think are less racist than the UK.

You're ok, I don't waste time arguing with stupid people.
  • ati_qtimportaati_qtimporta Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    That's because pretty much the entire media and whole country don't see a problem with racism in Spanish football. Not even a murmur of dissent by anybody at all.

You will struggle to find anybody in Spain who thinks that throwing bananas at black players, calling Thierry Henry a "Black sh1t" or referring to black players as "Ni**er" is wrong.

As I said that sort of thing was normal in England 20 years (or so) ago. It is not tolerated now. We have moved on. Spain et al have not.

As far back as 2004 TV pundit Ron Atkinson sacked for racist remark

No way he would have been fired then or even now in Spain. Nobody would have objected n the slightest.

The guy who threw the banana to Alves has been banned for life, so he won't enter the stadium again to repeat this stupid action. Or maybe your best punishment should be another?
    Let's change things a little. Have you ever thought what would have happened if that banana had hit Iniesta, Xavi or another Barcelona player? Because we are talking about racism ONLY because it was Alves who was hit.
    Have you thought that guy could have perfectly entered the stadium carrying the banana only with a simple purpose (eat it)? He got mad at any point and, in an unexpected action, he threw the banana without thinking about it.
    As always, an individual action is allowing you to critisize the entire country.
    And you said that the Spanish media hadn't said a word about this issue and that's NOT true because they did talk a lot about this and they still ARE.
    So, like our national team coach Vicente del Bosque said some time ago: "those who are stupid, are stupid here or somewhere else".

You can think whatever you want, but you can't blame us for being racists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, like our national team coach Vicente del Bosque said some time ago: "those who are stupid, are stupid here or somewhere else".

You can think whatever you want, but you can't blame us for being racists.

Since you brought up Vicente del Bosque, let's talk about the incident 10 years ago

Luis Aragonés yesterday called Thierry Henry a "black shit"

Spain coach Luis Aragonés has successfully appealed a £2,000 fine handed to him for making derogatory comments about Thierry Henry

Aragonés will not say sorry

There was just a €3,000 fine and even that was overturned. There was no national outcry but almost total support for Luis Aragonés

Now compare that with:

NBA commissioner bans Clippers owner Sterling, pushes to 'force a sale' of team
    The NBA's commissioner came down hard Tuesday on Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, ordering him out of his team's business and pushing to force him to sell over racist remarks that caused a firestorm since becoming public days ago.

Adam Silver detailed Sterling's punishment of a lifetime ban and $2.5 million fine -- the "maximum amount" allowed per league guidelines

Glen Hoddle was sacked for believing in re-incarnation.

Luis Aragonés was not only not sacked for saying something much more distasteful but given total backing by all. Not a whimper of criticism. Do link to a major newspaper article or politician who called for Aragonés' sacking.
    Have you thought that guy could have perfectly entered the stadium carrying the banana only with a simple purpose (eat it)? He got mad at any point and, in an unexpected action, he threw the banana without thinking about it.

That's a good scenario. Oh the banana did not hit anyone.

The first step is widespread acceptance in Spain (and many other countries) that there is a serious problem. Only then can it be addressed.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    I did laugh when I saw that Sepp Blatter came out in support of tolerance and anti-discrimination

As he proved when FIFA awarded Russia the World Cup
    Forum Member
    Ok, henrywilliams58, let's try another thing.
    Please, have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kDIyp6MI5k

Are all British racists?

I don't think so. In my opinion, as I said before, you can't blame a whole country for 5 stupids.

Aragones' words were not appropriate, everybody knew that. But you have to understand what is clearly racism and what's not. And some black players supported him because they knew he wasn't racist.

What happened in the NBA is clear and it's racism. Sterling said he didn't want black people watching basketball in the arena/court (whatever) and there is nothing more to say. I'm glad he was banned .

Sorry for my limited English.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Brilliant response from Alves :D
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I was encouraged by the reaction of other Villarreal fans. They told the authorities or the club exactly who the offender was, which made it possible to ban him for life.
    Alves' reaction was perfect.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Credit to Villarreal for their swift response towards the fan who threw the Banana.

I have read the the fan who threw it has gained support.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/shocking-scenes-spain-hundreds-stage-rally-support-banana-141542838.html
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Credit to Villarreal for their swift response towards the fan who threw the Banana.

I have read the the fan who threw it has gained support.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/shocking-scenes-spain-hundreds-stage-rally-support-banana-141542838.html

I'm glad to read comments about my country like this one:
    -Alot of Spanish people are ignorant of the fact that they were once ruled by blacks and some Asians for hundreds of years, and many of them are an admixture!

I wish I could understand what the hell is he meaning, because we've never been ruled by a black or an Asian....... I guess he is meaning muslims, which by the way, it's true.

Anyway, I agree with most of the comments: that article is rubbish
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, henrywilliams58, let's try another thing.
    Please, have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kDIyp6MI5k

Are all British racists?

I don't think so. In my opinion, as I said before, you can't blame a whole country for 5 stupids.

... .

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this seemingly recent shocking incident.

I'll look up the reaction of the authorities to it.

Aragones had total support in Spain for what he said and never had the decency to apologise.

Oh a few days later there is more monkey chanting in Spain ...

Atletico Madrid fans accused of racist chants by Levante's Diop

Gary Linekar @GaryLineker

Spanish football must face up to the fact that they have a serious racist problem. They can't continue to bury their heads in the sand.

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague
    New La Liga racist incident: 2 improve we need the wish to change (getting there),strong laws (we have them) and strong authorities (not so)

Levante's Papakouli Diop dances to defy racist supporters: Atlético Madrid fans captured making monkey gestures

What have the Spanish football authorities, press and politicians said about the monkey chants and gestures? Do they care?

Aragones' words were not appropriate, everybody knew that. But you have to understand what is clearly racism and what's not. And some black players supported him because they knew he wasn't racist.

Just not appropriate? He words were racist and he didn't apologise and his overturned fine was a mere €3000.

If "everybody knew that" why wasn't he sacked?

And remember Ashley Cole supported John Terry in his cases. Terry was sacked as Captain.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the friendly England played in the Bernabeu against Spain and Shaun Wright Philips was subject to monkey chants. It was disgraceful and I recall Mark Lawrenson who was the co commentator saying 'please remind me what year we are in.'
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A question that often rears its head whenever he breaks out his jokebook also.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similar incident today at Atalanta-Milan. Banana thrown at Milan defender Kevin Constant. Nigel De Jong eats said banana, whilst Philipe Mexes sarcastically applauds the Atalanta fans. Mexes is then booed for the rest of the game whenever he touches the ball.

https://vine.co/v/MgHaQdgjPWw
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Similar incident today at Atalanta-Milan. Banana thrown at Milan defender Kevin Constant. Nigel De Jong eats said banana, whilst Philipe Mexes sarcastically applauds the Atalanta fans. Mexes is then booed for the rest of the game whenever he touches the ball.

https://vine.co/v/MgHaQdgjPWw

Was the banana poisoned?
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester City U-21's were taken off the field by their coach , Patrick Vieira, after claims that one of there players was racially abused in a friendly at Rijeka

City officials decided to withdraw their players after 19-year-old French midfielder Seko Fofana was allegedly racially abused by an opponent a minute before half-time during the match in Novigrad, west Croatia. HNK Rijeka were leading 1-0 when play was abandoned.

A statement posted on the club's website read: "Manchester City's EDS U21 game with HNK Rijeka has today been cancelled due to an alleged incident of racial abuse toward the club's young midfielder, Seko Fofana by a member of the opposing team.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/9391266/racism-claims-mar-city-game