Options

Best 4K TV on a budget

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    Go and view Nigel, that's all I can say. I don't disagree with the physics of it all.

I have - I can only imagine you're viewing some pretty crappy LCD's if you get wider viewing angles from a curved screen :D
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Perhaps you should look at some decent quality LCD's :D

I'm guessing you are referring to Panasonic and Sony - just because they carry a prestige badge doesn't make them immune from poor performance. ;-)
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The top 4 makes of TVs I would say are Panisonic, Sony, Samsung and LG.
    Philips was also at on time a good make. Don't know if they still are.

Darren
  • Options
    Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Was looking at the curved 55" Samsung in Currys last night. Must say I was impressed with the demo picture quality. Also right next to it was the flat screen version of the same size and I think they can't have set it up as well because it looked almost tepid by comparison.
    Probably a deliberate ploy to make the (very slightly) curved screen look better. :)

Have to say though, once they sort the standards out, and the prices have dropped I'll be getting one. I was going to get a new TV in Jan sales as my 40" Samsung is looking a little dated but now I'll wait a year or so as I may as well just move straight to a 4k once everythings settled down a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    The top 4 makes of TVs I would say are Panisonic, Sony, Samsung and LG.
    Philips was also at on time a good make. Don't know if they still are.

To be more accurate, the top 2 are Sony and Panasonic, the 'middling' 2 would be Samsung and LG (far behind the top two), and the rest in a pretty poor third (not unexpected, as most of the rest just badge cheap sets).

Philips haven't been considered 'good' for a VERY, VERY long time - 50's or 60's perhaps? - although they did make a few decent colour CRT models over the years. But even back when they were considered 'good' they had the reputation of providing the worst service of all manufacturers back in those days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Was looking at the curved 55" Samsung in Currys last night. Must say I was impressed with the demo picture quality. Also right next to it was the flat screen version of the same size and I think they can't have set it up as well because it looked almost tepid by comparison.
    Probably a deliberate ploy to make the (very slightly) curved screen look better. :)

My parents now have their HU7200 curved Samsung and it's outstanding. I walked in the other night and they were watching something on More 4. I assumed it was HD but it was actually SD (no More 4 HD on their Freeview). That's how sharp it looks. With that said, I don't think there's a big difference between curved and non-curved. When we eventually get one, we'll be going for a flat one.
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have - I can only imagine you're viewing some pretty crappy LCD's if you get wider viewing angles from a curved screen :D

The viewing angle on the Samsung's I saw was outstanding, approaching 180 degrees.

Probably something more accurately like 160/170, but without going back and measuring it's impossible to say. What I can say is its was very oblique and the curve did add something to the picture.

As with all screens, I'd say its best straight on / near straight on though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The viewing angle on the Samsung's I saw was outstanding, approaching 180 degrees.

As are decent flat screens - the inward curve can obviously only reduce the viewing angle, and presumably the technology is essentially identical?.
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As are decent flat screens - the inward curve can obviously only reduce the viewing angle, and presumably the technology is essentially identical?.

I wouldn't know Nigel.

All I do remember is not seeing any adverse effects from the curve and actually finding the curve slightly better than the flat ones on display adjacent to it.

As I said before, it wasn't a result I expected as I honestly expected it to be a gimmick, but I would say there is a small improvement in immersion and viewing experience with no obvious deteriment to picture quality that I noticed. Given the choice I'd take curved but I wouldn't pay extra for it.