Since when did vincent van gogh have a scottish accent!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In Dr Who, You think the beeb would at least use a actor that can do a passable dutch accent, and not scottish!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    It seemed to me that his comment about Amy having the same accent was to let the audience know that the TARDIS was translating Dutch to sound like Scottish.

No?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Wrong forum

2) The TARDIS translates.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Lots of countries have a north.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welk menigte van poepen :eek: :( :mad:

A dutch actor would have been aces :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xaphania wrote: »
    It seemed to me that his comment about Amy having the same accent was to let the audience know that the TARDIS was translating Dutch to sound like Scottish.

No?

But why! If that the case we have scottish Cybermen next.
  • BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assumed the actor was playing it as Sean Connery playing Vincent Van Gough.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Bizza wrote: »
    I assumed the actor was playing it as Sean Connery playing Vincent Van Gough.

Indeed. Remember Sean Connery' masterful Russian accent in The Hunt for Red October? Oh that's right he didn't even try one. Completely ruined the movie. Oh, no, it didn't......

FFS.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Indeed. Remember Sean Connery' masterful Russian accent in The Hunt for Red October? Oh that's right he didn't even try one. Completely ruined the movie. Oh, no, it didn't......

FFS.

Ah, but Captain Ramius was supposed to be Lithuanian. So the Scottish accent was symbolic of his having Soviet nationality, but not being Russian!

Or something like that. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    In Dr Who, You think the beeb would at least use a actor that can do a passable dutch accent, and not scottish!

Since when can people travel through time in a machine that looks like a police box?

You accept that but can't deal with an accent!
  • kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone is a master of accents like Dick Van Dyke was.

Actually with that surname I bet his Dutch accent was superb.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was explained in the episode if you had been paying attention....
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    I've seen this SO many times and yet anyone who's watched either "The Fires of Pompeii" or tonight's episode should have the answer!
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was mentioned in Doctor Who Confidential. Him playing it with his Scots accent and asking Amy if she was from Holland like him because of her accent was an in-joke intended to deal with it. The TARDIS translates accents as well as language.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why wasn't the episode in French?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    This was mentioned in Doctor Who Confidential. Him playing it with his Scots accent and asking Amy if she was from Holland like him because of her accent was an in-joke intended to deal with it. The TARDIS translates accents as well as language.

Hence the waiters in the rural, poor South of France sounding like country bumpkins.
  • sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Lots of countries have a north.

Funnily enough, I could accept Scottish accents as Dutch, courtesy of the Tardis but I struggled with the Doctor having a northern accent despite liking CE's doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in another thread on this very same subject - The Tardis seems to translate anyone who isn't speaking English to speaking English with some sort of British accent. I assume the reason everyone in Manhatten all had US accents was because they were all speaking English to begin with.

Was there this much fuss when Madame de Pompadour didn't speek with a French accent or even why the waitress' in this very episode spoke with Yorkshire accents?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Hence the waiters in the rural, poor South of France sounding like country bumpkins.

What does a country bumpkin sound like?
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    Also, why did he have 2 ears? or is that how he killed himself?
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    He killed himself by cutting an earlobe off? Seriously?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alienpanda wrote: »
    Also, why did he have 2 ears? or is that how he killed himself?

1) he did not have only one ear-he cut a slice off his ear.

2) he did that towards the end of his life, he wasn't minus an ear from the day he was born!
    Forum Member
    What does a country bumpkin sound like?

The waiting staff in the café in that episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    The waiting staff in the café in that episode.

Sounded like a Dales accent to me, if a bit diluted. Is everyone who lives in the country a bumpkin, then? I ask purely for information...:)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BP4L wrote: »
    The Tardis seems to translate anyone who isn't speaking English to speaking English with some sort of British accent.

Just like Eurotrash! :D
    Forum Member
    Sounded like a Dales accent to me, if a bit diluted. Is everyone who lives in the country a bumpkin, then? I ask purely for information...:)

I don't know what accent it was... I thought the main waiter had a Westcountry accent. Could be wrong.

Anyway, I didn't mean to imply that everyone who lives in the country is a bumpkin. Just saying that the TARDIS would have translated a rural Provence accent into roughly the equivalent of a rural English accent.