Options

Tony Bennett & Lady GaGa - Cheek To Cheek (Album Thread)

LMLM Posts: 63,510
Forum Member
✭✭

Comments

• Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaga's voice really suits this & I can't wait to hear her cover of 'Bang Bang' in full
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit gutted the Lady is the tramp is not on the album.

But very excited.
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really care for the woman these days, but I think her voice suits this style 100% so I'm actually quite fascinated to hear the songs, could be a good move for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can predict this album being a bit of a big seller at xmas. It's out in september but can see it picking up majorly in the holidays. These types of albums always sells like hotcakes in the states at xmas. Tony Bennett is normally a strong album seller as well as Lady Gaga's name alone.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've pre-ordered it even though it's not normally a style of music I would listen to. I think Gaga's voice suits jazz music. She's a good singer and I think she should move away from pop and go for jazz/acoustic-type music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it'll probably be a good holiday seller.

I may be wrong but I think I read that Tony & Gaga are doing a feature show singing a few of the songs (kinda like the muppets spectacular I guess) so if that airs around Christmas that'd do it some justice.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    I agree that it'll probably be a good holiday seller.

I may be wrong but I think I read that Tony & Gaga are doing a feature show singing a few of the songs (kinda like the muppets spectacular I guess) so if that airs around Christmas that'd do it some justice.

It's a full live concert they performed a few weeks ago to an invited audience (nothing like the muppets :) ) It goes out in the USA on 24th October. It's being well guarded though and nothing has leaked from it

Bennett also said in an interview that a tour is being planned and there could well be a second Jazz album in the near future
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    i'm a fan of gaga and just her piano....i also love jazz..... but I'm sorry I'm not a fan of her and tony together - sorry :( and although I've bought the new track 'anything goes' - this song doesn't change that feeling. I have nothing against Tony, but I would prefer her doing her own thing. It all sounds a little cringey to me in places. I do understand her reasons though as a NY princess wanting to duet with him. Maybe there are better tracks on the album - I hope so!
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song I've heard so far- she can sing but it was a little "show tunes-show tunes" for my liking. She really belted it out like a West End musical actress. I found it lacked originality.
    I like the idea of her doing jazz, not inherently a bad idea but not sure about doing it with Tony Bennett.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can just picture GaGa doing "jazz hands" as she is belting these songs out. I'd like her to put a more original spin on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her live version of 'Bang Bang' from a club a few weeks back sounded amazing. Glad it's on the album, that's the one I'm most looking forward to.

Can't say jazz is my thing either but I will definitely buy this as I did like her previous work with Tony
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's out on Monday & today she released 'nature boy', it's really got me intrigued as I hadn't really been feeling the jazz vibe until now (except 'bang bang' which I can't wait to hear in full of course)
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its amazing how many people don't like jazz or tony bennett but are looking forward to an album of jazz covers we have all heard a million times because lady gaga is on it.was anyone looking forward to his other duet cover albums?

It would have been so much better if they were original jazz songs and she was pairing up with a credible jazz artist..imo she is not being very bold or original with this move.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Its amazing how many people don't like jazz or tony bennett but are looking forward to an album of jazz covers we have all heard a million times because lady gaga is on it.was anyone looking forward to his other duet cover albums?

It would have been so much better if they were original jazz songs and she was pairing up with a credible jazz artist..imo she is not being very bold or original with this move.

if an album like this can crossover and get some people into jazz then it's a good thing surely? many gaga fans won't know many of the most popular standards. they have to start somewhere
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    if an album like this can crossover and get some people into jazz then it's a good thing surely? many gaga fans won't know many of the most popular standards. they have to start somewhere

starting with a tony bennet album..:(:confused:
    It would have crossed over anyway just because its a lady gaga. people should just buy the track listing and seek out the original versions.:p
    why didn't she team up with some new blood.. damu the fudgemunk, nujabes, mobetta brown, mr scruff, jazztronik, st germaine etc. she's playing it middle of the road and safe.
    jazz is not the music of kenny G and tony bennett.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In some way i agree. It is a bunch of songs done to death and people not interested in jazz suddenly are purely for Gaga. Thankfully i have always loved Jazz thanks to my grandparents. I love a bit of Billie Holiday on a gloomy rainy day

But jazz is one of those genres where no one seems to be do anything original and it is continuous cover albums after cover albums. However i would say Tony Bennett is a credit artist. He is a well respected artist who doesn't work with just anyone. His albums normally sell well anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have crossed over anyway just because its a lady gaga. people should just buy the track listing and seek out the original versions.:p
    why didn't she team up with some new blood.. damu the fudgemunk, nujabes, mr scruff, jazztronik, st germaine etc. she's playing it middle of the road and safe.

I think she needs to at the moment. She needs to reach a new audience and remind the fans she lost that behind the costumes and dance pop music, lies a very talented vocalist. Stripping back is the way to go for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she needs to at the moment. She needs to reach a new audience and remind the fans she lost that behind the costumes and dance pop music, lies a very talented vocalist. Stripping back is the way to go for her.

she needs to reach a new audience and why not introduce some up and coming jazz artist at the same time. help the next generation.
    she does need to strip back but not to full blown mediocrity.
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its amazing how many people don't like jazz or tony bennett but are looking forward to an album of jazz covers we have all heard a million times because lady gaga is on it.
    Fairly predictable I'd have thought. No doubt it'll do for jazz what Westlife or Michael Bublé have done for jazz. ^_^ If Lady Gaga fans don't know Jazz that'll be because they haven't explored it or aren't interested and of course, the best way to discover it is though some of the fantastic records already out there.

She's probably attempted to revive her career by catering for the MOR crowd.
    why didn't she team up with some new blood.. damu the fudgemunk, nujabes, mobetta brown, mr scruff, jazztronik, st germaine etc. she's playing it middle of the road and safe.
    It certainly isn't! :) Personally I'd hate to see Damu working with Lady Gaga. Nujabes passed away a few years back.
    she needs to reach a new audience and why not introduce some up and coming jazz artist at the same time.
    It'll be about her, not helping someone else.
    But jazz is one of those genres where no one seems to be do anything original
    That's not really the case at all. Cassandra Wilson, Cleveland Watkiss, Matthew Shipp, Herbie Hancock, Soweto Kinch, Rachelle Ferrell, Zara Mcfarlane.. loads of artists are making unique music.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Nothing wrong with that, she's a very good singer and she needs to show the public that she can do something different after the mess that was ARTPOP. Maybe they're doing a covers album first and if that's successful they might move on to an album of original songs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with that, she's a very good singer and she needs to show the public that she can do something different after the mess that was ARTPOP. Maybe they're doing a covers album first and if that's successful they might move on to an album of original songs?

How is she being the daring 'artist' she claims herself to be.
    She isn't moving the music forward, its a load of self indulgent, uninspiring, unoriginal middle of the road claptrap..yes i said the word claptrap, i'm bringing it back :p
    I don't understand why is she trying to appeal to the tony bennett crowd. besides the fact its guaranteed platinum. Its like she's gone from one extreme to the next. in the long run i cant see it winning back the fickle fans that jumped ship, and real fans of jazz music don't check for tony bennett and lady gaga being on there isn't going to convince them otherwise. It will be one of those albums that you will see in your collection in 10 years and be embarrassed by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

it's a tony bennett and lady gaga album

It would have crossed over anyway just because its a lady gaga.

what? that's the point i'm making. because it's a pop artist like lady gaga, people who otherwise may not buy a jazz album are buying a jazz album

people should just buy the track listing and seek out the original versions.:p

but if they don't know jazz, they are unlikely to do that. a 9 year old girl who likes lady gaga is hardly going to seek out the originals, but may enjoy the album and at some point end up seeking out the originals

why didn't she team up with some new blood.. damu the fudgemunk, nujabes, mobetta brown, mr scruff, jazztronik, st germaine etc.

why didn't you ask her instead of asking me? what makes you think i would know the answer to that question?

she's playing it middle of the road and safe.

not necessarily. many of her fans may not like this style of music, seeing as she's known as a dance pop artist, but it's far from an extreme move. her goal is to make money from selling records, so this choice may achieve that goal

yes it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bennett

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In some way i agree. It is a bunch of songs done to death and people not interested in jazz suddenly are purely for Gaga. Thankfully i have always loved Jazz thanks to my grandparents. I love a bit of Billie Holiday on a gloomy rainy day

But jazz is one of those genres where no one seems to be do anything original and it is continuous cover albums after cover albums. However i would say Tony Bennett is a credit artist. He is a well respected artist who doesn't work with just anyone. His albums normally sell well anyway.

you couldn't be more wrong. i presume your jazz collection is small and/or a tiny percentage of your record collection?

the reason i like jazz is because it is original and very different from anything else. like many genres of music there are many types, some boring and crap, others exciting. it sounds like you don't know much about jazz
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mialicious' question "why doesn't she work with..." was obviously a rhetorical question, not directed at a specific person.

Of course recording a 'jazz-lite' album with a world renowned crooner is playing it safe.

Yes, Kenny G is a Jazz artist. According to wiki, Michael Bublé is a Jazz artist. Westlife dabbled too but it doesn't mean anyone with a bit of appreciation for Jazz would take them seriously. Iggy Azalea is consider by some to be a Hip Hop artist rather than some sort of bad joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How is she being the daring 'artist' she claims herself to be.
    She isn't moving the music forward, its a load of self indulgent, uninspiring, unoriginal middle of the road claptrap..yes i said the word claptrap, i'm bringing it back :p
    I don't understand why is she trying to appeal to the tony bennett crowd. besides the fact its guaranteed platinum. Its like she's gone from one extreme to the next. in the long run i cant see it winning back the fickle fans that jumped ship, and real fans of jazz music don't check for tony bennett and lady gaga being on there isn't going to convince them otherwise. It will be one of those albums that you will see in your collection in 10 years and be embarrassed by.

I never said she was being daring or moving forward with her music, I meant she was doing something that wasn't the dance pop she normally does. Real fans of jazz music probably seek out obscure acts on the net, but this is a mainstream album designed for the mass market. If it introduces the younger generations to a type of music they'd normally never listen to, then that can only be a good thing IMO. Some Gaga fans might buy it and some mightn't. Music is subjective and everyone likes different things.