Options

Mark Has The Best Leadership and Business Skills

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Let's face it, he can convince people to do things differently, he can sell, he can lie, doesn't show he feels pressure, ice man.. a proper Wall Street businessmen in waiting.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't seem to have a talent for being likeable though. I wouldn't want to work with him, would you?
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't seem to have a talent for being likeable though. I wouldn't want to work with him, would you?

If he helped make us money, yes.

You don't have to go on a night out together and be best mates to be business partners.

I think he seems quite the gent actually, the lying through his teeth and alpha male aside but it's a game show he doesn't care about the other contestants. Surprised he's still single tbf.

He seems like the type of guy who doesn't rely on anyone else, Daniel on the other hand seems to need reassuring constantly whereas Mark is happy to work alone (live in the New York Soft Drink task when Lauren was getting on his nerves he told her to go help someone else)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    If he helped make us money, yes.

You don't have to go on a night out together and be best mates to be business partners.

I agree. I have worked with some very successful people who are total arses and who you wouldn't want to spend a minute of social time with yet they always get the job done.

On the other hand I wouldn't give a job to some of my best friends.
  • Options
    Arthur_BArthur_B Posts: 3,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In all honesty, I don't think he comes across as that objectionable at all. I've really never understood the strong dislike this forum has for Mark.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Let's face it, he can convince people to do things differently, he can sell, he can lie, doesn't show he feels pressure, ice man.. a proper Wall Street businessmen in waiting.

But there are different sorts of business people. Some lose billions by confidently acting on their own on poor judgement., staying aloof, destroying any competition for their job, fooling higher mangement , creating mayhem around them, and laying a smokescren to cover things up. Then theres the smart corporate types who can analyse, organise , convince, and win confidence in a big organisation and sell even better. Lord Sugar has a great record of sending the second type home..
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I agree. I have worked with some very successful people who are total arses and who you wouldn't want to spend a minute of social time with yet they always get the job done.

On the other hand I wouldn't give a job to some of my best friends.

If you can't win friends and influence people, you'll seldom rise to the very top. You can get to middle management by being unlikeable but soon there are more people below you hating you than there are above you and you get toppled.

That said, Mark is not bad at influencing people nor winning friends.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member

Having watched him on the show I feel like I wouldn't perform my best around him as I'd be far too suspicious of what underhanded tactic he was trying to pull, or if he was simply slagging me off behind my back.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Must say, I dunno why Mark gets so much hate.
    He seems pretty switched-on to me.

About the only thing about him that I find a bit questionable is that he seems a bit slopey-shouldered.
    He seems to like to pick and choose what he actually takes responsibility for.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't really understood why Mark has been so hated here. He's in it for himself, like most other candidates. He'll back away responsibility for a car crash when he sees it, like most other candidates. He'll talk himself up and others down when asked to camera, like most other candidates. I'm not sure he's done that much that many of his rivals wouldn't do in a heartbeat either - he's just better at it than most, and perhaps a bit more open about it. (Which, if you think about it, makes him less sneaky rather than more sneaky.)

What does make him different from most other candidates is that he doesn't just talk the talk. His record in sales has been exemplary, and we have seen him negotiate well too (Blenheim Palace, although his negotiation on the sink this week wasn't great).

Equally, I'm not sure he's God's gift to business either. I think his leadership skills are okay, but I don't see him as particulaly creative and we haven't seen much of him doing anything else so it's hard to judge his all-round business skills. I do think there are others who are perhaps better all-round candidates.

Nonetheless, he fully deserves to have gotten this far. Whether he's a finalist or not will depend on his performance next week and the strength of his business plan.
  • Options
    BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I warmed to him a lot this week.

He was for the first time decent and honest in his praise for Daniel (who did lead and motivate the team well)

I wonder if that was to reciprocate as Daniel has always given him props for a good job as PM or a team member Either way, fair play to him for recognising.

Otherwise, I just always feel he's not fully got his eye on winning as he's too busy noting down mistakes that others make, which I don't feel is necessary when Nick, Karen and the production team are doing that and the viewers can make up their own minds Thankyou very much.

Two examples were his "motivational chat" as I think it's been called on here with Felipe, where he actually threatened to take the responsibility away if Felipe messed it up. (Way to coach and motivate)

And this week where he said he "did the best he could after Katie had said £49"

I think the other candidates mostly like him, but they don't see all that we see and I think after seeing his Katie -esque monologues to camera I reckon Daniel will be getting a few "I'm sorry you were right" texts this series.

Having said all that he's ruthless and he wants investment not a job in LS's company, so he'd probably be a great winner if his idea is good as he'd be the boss. I bet he's a great boss, but I wouldn't want to be in a work team with him.
  • Options
    beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a good salesman but saying he has leadership qualities is pushing it. A mighty difference between manipulation and leadership.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMLisa wrote: »
    I warmed to him a lot this week.

He was for the first time decent and honest in his praise for Daniel (who did lead and motivate the team well)

I wonder if that was to reciprocate as Daniel has always given him props for a good job as PM or a team member Either way, fair play to him for recognising.

Otherwise, I just always feel he's not fully got his eye on winning as he's too busy noting down mistakes that others make, which I don't feel is necessary when Nick, Karen and the production team are doing that and the viewers can make up their own minds Thankyou very much.

Two examples were his "motivational chat" as I think it's been called on here with Felipe, where he actually threatened to take the responsibility away if Felipe messed it up. (Way to coach and motivate)

And this week where he said he "did the best he could after Katie had said £49"

I think the other candidates mostly like him, but they don't see all that we see and I think after seeing his Katie -esque monologues to camera I reckon Daniel will be getting a few "I'm sorry you were right" texts this series.

Having said all that he's ruthless and he wants investment not a job in LS's company, so he'd probably be a great winner if his idea is good as he'd be the boss. I bet he's a great boss, but I wouldn't want to be in a work team with him.
    I agree - but equally we only see a small fraction of what they see on task and back in the house. I think the fact that he seems to be well liked by everyone else other than Daniel is quite telling. And as Sugar has noted, Daniel could start an argument in a room on his own.
  • Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member

He can lie? How does that make him a great leader and have business skills? It just makes him a liar! And he'll then stab you in the back. He's what's really bad about anyone in business. But I can't wait for them to take him apart in the interviews! That inane grin will be wiped off his lego man face pdq I hope.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Mark is the worst type of person to have as either a boss or colleague - sly, maniipulative, quick to pass blame and even quicker to take unwarranted praise....

I have worked with a couple of guys like him - and hated every minute. It was a case of watching your back for the unexpepcted knife - and trying to outwit them.

A gang of us got together to get one of them - and set him up for a huge fall - and he walked right into it.... We got one person make a huge gaffe in his his presence, then when he excused himself to go and tattle to management - quickly put it right and carried on.... when the boss came to see what was going on - there was nothing amiss. We did it several times with different people (he never seemed to catch on what was happening) and the manager in question soon decided that he wasn't a team player and sorted him out. No one likes a sneak out to get someone else into trouble all the time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Mark is the worst type of person to have as either a boss or colleague - sly, maniipulative, quick to pass blame and even quicker to take unwarranted praise....

I have worked with a couple of guys like him - and hated every minute. It was a case of watching your back for the unexpepcted knife - and trying to outwit them.

A gang of us got together to get one of them - and set him up for a huge fall - and he walked right into it.... We got one person make a huge gaffe in his his presence, then when he excused himself to go and tattle to management - quickly put it right and carried on.... when the boss came to see what was going on - there was nothing amiss. We did it several times with different people (he never seemed to catch on what was happening) and the manager in question soon decided that he wasn't a team player and sorted him out. No one likes a sneak out to get someone else into trouble all the time!

what unwarranted praise has Mark claimed? Daniel is very guilty of this but I haven't this of Mark
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark's head and shoulders the best candidate in there. He's a true leader unlike any of the others. Sure, he can be brash but it's refershing to see someone so direct with the skills to back it up rather than Daniel all talk and no trousers Lassmann.
    Can't wait to see Mark up against the interviewers. It will be a lesson in charm school.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    CaroUK wrote: »

Its not only that he has played a tactical game - avoiding risks and developing the case to blame someone else - and when needed, from what we were shown, inventing it. .Its that he has only done well at sales - and even that has depended on having a customer who he can convince. As a PM he lost. Unless he is PM ,and wins tonight, he has no chance to win now. He has only, so far, been on a winning team three times. Hes often allowed others to take responsibility, and fail (Felipe and the filming - without stepping in. He's had ideas - but some have been bad ones (relationships) He 's been branded in the boardroom as someone who avoided being PM , which also means he hasn't demonstrated any specific skills to do what he proposes. He's had his skill set, including creativity, challenged by Lord Sugar, and he's oversold himself to get his failing chance as PM. He's flirted with being stuck with the argument that was stuck on Ruth - that she manipulated the tasks to make someone else look bad. He's just looking like damaged goods, and unacceptable as a winner.

That said, Sanjay and Daniel have different bigger holes in their boats. Solomon would be the invisible winner, and has had some of Luisa's kind of publicity without her business sense, Bianca would be the why on earth with those howlers winner. Roisin looks like a repeat of last year - substiuting one competent professional for another. And i just wonder if he wants to ever visit Sunderland, or anywhere much north of Rugby, to see what Katie is doing.
  • Options
    Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark's head and shoulders the best candidate in there. He's a true leader unlike any of the others. Sure, he can be brash but it's refershing to see someone so direct with the skills to back it up rather than Daniel all talk and no trousers Lassmann.
    Can't wait to see Mark up against the interviewers. It will be a lesson in charm school.

Which,I supect, will not get him very far.

You obviously see much more in him that I do but I will agree he is out in front at the moment - only because the others are spectacularly poor. Certainly it is the worst set I have seen before - but thats my opinion. There is usually at least one in a serieswho you can spot quickly who is head and shoulder above the rest but so far to me - nothing.

The main things I see in Mark is that he is a liar, a cheat, and he would ( and has ) stabbed his colleagues in the back. He is also very quick indeed to do the best he can to blame anyone but himself.
  • Options
    Alex_McNameeAlex_McNamee Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't hate Mark. I think he's one of the brightest candidates remaining. But I can see why people dislike him. He plays tactical games. He always seems to big himself up in the boardroom and criticise what everyone else has done. Week six - he unfairly stitched Pamela up then refused to admit it. He said he'd "like to give her a go" before suggesting a dating game then slamming it in the boardroom when it was unsuccessful. Week seven - he wanted to be PM over Lauren so he stretched the truth about what he does. Nick castigated him for this in the boardroom. Week eight - he admitted he lied partially to make sure he could sell the hot tubs over Daniel. Week nine - as soon as Daniel was about to bring Katie back into the boardroom, she defended herself using Mark as an example (with the rope) but Mark stayed quiet - simply for his own gain. Like I said, I like Mark, though I'm unsure Lord Sugar does - he hasn't really been praised save for the hot tubs.
  • Options
    Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate Mark. I think he's one of the brightest candidates remaining. But I can see why people dislike him. He plays tactical games. He always seems to big himself up in the boardroom and criticise what everyone else has done. Week six - he unfairly stitched Pamela up then refused to admit it. He said he'd "like to give her a go" before suggesting a dating game then slamming it in the boardroom when it was unsuccessful. Week seven - he wanted to be PM over Lauren so he stretched the truth about what he does. Nick castigated him for this in the boardroom. Week eight - he admitted he lied partially to make sure he could sell the hot tubs over Daniel. Week nine - as soon as Daniel was about to bring Katie back into the boardroom, she defended herself using Mark as an example (with the rope) but Mark stayed quiet - simply for his own gain. Like I said, I like Mark, though I'm unsure Lord Sugar does - he hasn't really been praised save for the hot tubs.

So to sum up he is a liar, a cheat, and a backstabber - as I said on an earlier post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He would probably make a good salesman for double glazing, timeshares or something that doesn't need a long term empathetic relationship.

He is an arrogant knob.
  • Options
    foxydogfoxydog Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Just a rant, Karen, it is Tesco not telcos
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't work with him or for him neither would I have him in my management team.
    If you couldn't see the pressure on him today you must be blind and deaf

He's an ridiculously optimistic desperate ego maniac and he will most likely end up a felon.
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Must say, I dunno why Mark gets so much hate.
    He seems pretty switched-on to me.

About the only thing about him that I find a bit questionable is that he seems a bit slopey-shouldered.
    He seems to like to pick and choose what he actually takes responsibility for.

He's the sort of devious manipulative liar who is only appreciated by others of a similar ilk.
  • Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the sort of devious manipulative liar who is only appreciated by others of a similar ilk.

I can understand why some people may not like or trust him but there is of course no substance whatsoever to the above claim.