Options

TalkTalk customers demand opt-out fix for DNS ad-jacking

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Oh dear, not good

I doubt Talk Talk are the only ones that do this, but it is not good to be honest. Is it possible to get past this by using another DNS server? If so that is ok if you know how to do it.

This is almost as bad as Phorm to be honest.

Comments

• Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody else not have the faintest idea what this is all about?
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I've been having a similar problem with TalkTalk for months and am bloody fed up with it. I've complained to them twice but they're not interested. It's only a minor inconvenience because I just highlight and delete the upgradeInterrupt# from h**ps://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/home/dashboard/upgradeInterrupt# and this then takes me to an error page from which I select the My Account tab to go to my home page.

It's still a pain having to do it every time I try to log in. If the price of my package wasn't so cheap I'd go somewhere else. Talk Talk if you read this, and I know you're a DS member, then why the hell don't you stop it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've left it to late to edit because I've just sent a message to Which? via Connect asking them to investigate this and providing them with noise747's link and what's been happening to me. Perhaps they can exert some influence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Does anybody else not have the faintest idea what this is all about?

If you type something into the URL bar at the top of your browser, normally you are taken to the appropriate website. So it say you put, news,.bbc.co.uk, that would take you to the bbc news site. But if say you put something like new.bbc.co.uk, you will get a error message.
    What Talk Talk is doing is intercepting those messages and putting their own in its place, including adverts. that is fine if you do not mind, but some people do mind. They have a opt out, but it is not working and Talk Talk do not seem in a rush to fix it.

Some browsers will also redirect you to some other page as well, chrome have got it's own, but you can turn it off.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't they all do it nowadays or have I misunderstood - I get custom BT and virgin pages when I use an incorrect URL.. Why dont you point your DNS servers to OpenDns or Google or do Talk Talk hijack this traffic?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    Don't they all do it nowadays or have I misunderstood - I get custom BT and virgin pages when I use an incorrect URL.. Why dont you point your DNS servers to OpenDns or Google or do Talk Talk hijack this traffic?

I'm not typing an incorrect URL though. I'm clicking on their link from their email to me advising that my statement is ready to view. When I type in my email address and password and press enter, I get taken to a progress screen with a progress bar saying Details Loading and from there I should go to My Account Dashboard, but instead TalkTalk hijack it after the progress bar has finished loading and take me to an advert/upgrade page which offers you a No Thanks button.

When you click on the No Thanks button the page just refreshes and you're stuck there, so that's when I carry out my highlight and delete as per Post #3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »

Mine just goes to a page that says the This webpage is not available. The point is these internet providers should not do it. I have not idea if talk Talk hijack the traffic or not, they do have their almost as bad as phorme, home safe. Goodness knows what they can do with that, since all your browsing goes through that even if you opt out. Saying that because our government decided that we must all be watched and that we can not be trusted , all the large providers got filtes like it.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    I'm not typing an incorrect URL though. I'm clicking on their link from their email to me advising that my statement is ready to view. When I type in my email address and password and press enter, I get taken to a progress screen with a progress bar saying Details Loading and from there I should go to My Account Dashboard, but instead TalkTalk hijack it after the progress bar has finished loading and take me to an advert/upgrade page which offers you a No Thanks button.
    Sounds like a classic phishing scam, to steal your password. Are you sure the email is genuine?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    Are you sure the email is genuine?

Short answer...yes!
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Short answer...yes!

You can never be 100% sure clicking a link in an email and TalkTalk do have warnings about phishing scams going around but not seemingly the one you received. If I wanted to see my statement I would log in to 'My Account' and view it from there.

I do the same with reminders for flash or Java updates ... go to the site.