Wine help please

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
Forum Member
I have been having a tidy up and want to get rid of wine which has been in cupboards for years. If its ok I'll give to friends/postman/doctors surgery for raffle etc etc

I don't want to do this if I'm going to make people ill so will just tip it down the drain.

We don't drink a lot in my house and am not clued up :blush:

I have no idea if the wine would be ok. One bottle has seems to have had some of the wine evaporated so I wont give a bottle (unopened) with about 5 inches missing from the top.

Any ideas? Would listing them help. There are about 8 bottles of red which I brought back from France years ago, I have no idea if they tasted good back then let alone now.

Comments

• ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Were the bottles stored standing up or laid on their side?

You could always pop one open and have a sip...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    ianx wrote: »
    Were the bottles stored standing up or laid on their side?

You could always pop one open and have a sip...

Some on their side in a wine rack, 3 standing up. I might try one but to be honest don't know much about wine and if I didn't like it I'd be none the wiser if it was off or ok:blush::)

I might just get people around and say DONT bring a bottle, try mine
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    The cork may have dried out in the bottles that were stored upright. This can let the air in and oxidise the wine. Whites tend to suffer from this more than reds. Reds will often have a noticeable colour change if oxidised (they go brownish).

Unfortunately you usually need to open the bottle to detect other problems. Wine that has reacted with the cork will smell damp and musty. Heat damaged wine can smell over-sweet. Sometime you can get a sulphur smell. Even if you are not a regular wine drinker, it would clearly smell/taste bad to you.
    Forum Member
    ianx wrote: »
    The cork may have dried out in the bottles that were stored upright. This can let the air in and oxidise the wine. Whites tend to suffer from this more than reds. Reds will often have a noticeable colour change if oxidised (they go brownish).

Unfortunately you usually need to open the bottle to detect other problems. Wine that has reacted with the cork will smell damp and musty. Heat damaged wine can smell over-sweet. Sometime you can get a sulphur smell. Even if you are not a regular wine drinker, it would clearly smell/taste bad to you.

Thank you for your information. The bottles of red, some have been laid on their side and have corks. There are 3 standing up, and 1 with a screw top. I might try one and pass them around with apologies if they have gone off.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Demi-Wave wrote: »
    Thank you for your information. The bottles of red, some have been laid on their side and have corks. There are 3 standing up, and 1 with a screw top. I might try one and pass them around with apologies if they have gone off.

The screw-top one should be ok as long as the seal is still in tact. One of the pros of screw-tops over cork seals is that the cork-shrinkage etc cannot happen.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't give them away as gifts.

I would give them to family or friends and tell them that they've been sitting for 8 years and that they might be ok or might need pouring down the drain.

They can then open them and try and if they're ok they get a free bottle of wine.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Wines should be stored in a cool dark place and at the same temperature all the time. If you have done this then possibly the wines will be OK. If you have stored them at fluctuating temps and somewhere warm and light then less so.

As stated by the other FMs the only way is to try them, but warn any recipients first and do not give them to your postman etc as they could run the risk of getting tummy problems or worse if the wine is corked (off). If you have stored them correctly then one or more might be delicious.

Watch out for sediment in the bottom of the bottles, so let the ones stored sideways stand upright for a while unopened and then be careful when pulling out the cork and pouring, slow and steady, or decant into another container and leave the sediment behind. Some wines naturally accumulate sediment during the ageing proces, so this is nothing to worry about.

Both red and white wines darken during ageing, reds go browny red and whites a deep golden yellow (like seedless grapes when they ripen), and this again is natural.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I wouldn't give them away as gifts.

I would give them to family or friends and tell them that they've been sitting for 8 years and that they might be ok or might need pouring down the drain.

They can then open them and try and if they're ok they get a free bottle of wine.

I've done exactly that tonight. Took some bottles to friends, apologised in advance if the wine is off. Told them not to open if they have work the following day in case they were ill:blush: I mentioned there might be a problem, all said they would give it a try rather than throw it out. One bottle was a 1995 year, I remember picking it up in France possibly around 1999. A few bottles left to distribute.

I should have a clear out more often:o:D
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi,

Wines should be stored in a cool dark place and at the same temperature all the time. If you have done this then possibly the wines will be OK. If you have stored them at fluctuating temps and somewhere warm and light then less so.

As stated by the other FMs the only way is to try them, but warn any recipients first and do not give them to your postman etc as they could run the risk of getting tummy problems or worse if the wine is corked (off). If you have stored them correctly then one or more might be delicious.

Watch out for sediment in the bottom of the bottles, so let the ones stored sideways stand upright for a while unopened and then be careful when pulling out the cork and pouring, slow and steady, or decant into another container and leave the sediment behind. Some wines naturally accumulate sediment during the ageing proces, so this is nothing to worry about.

Both red and white wines darken during ageing, reds go browny red and whites a deep golden yellow (like seedless grapes when they ripen), and this again is natural.

Thankyou for the information. One of the friends I offered the wine to is a bit of wine buff and mentioned a few of the things in your post and are happy to have a try with fingers crossed it might taste ok.