4G Roaming (any examples)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
Forum Member
WIth EE and Vodafone offering 4G roaming now has anyone experienced this yet, if so what were results like?

I used Three in USA last year and speeds were very slow but then again it was 3G only and and seemed limited.

Not had 4G roaming yet myself but looking forward to trying it out in March at MWC

Vodafone seem the better option with £3 a day EuroTraveller and £5 a day World Traveller and you can share minutes/texts AND data, my plan has 20GB so could be handy.

EE offer a max of 500MB for £25, and that jumps to £30 for USA!

Anyone able to post their results from 4G roaming to compare

Comments

• GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    3G roaming speeds on Three seem to be very, very poor. Getting more than 0.5Mb in Ireland was nearly impossible. They probably put roaming customers as the lowest priority customers on masts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    3G roaming speeds on Three seem to be very, very poor. Getting more than 0.5Mb in Ireland was nearly impossible. They probably put roaming customers as the lowest priority customers on masts.

Three say the speed is not capped but there is something going on somewhere with either the UK side or the roaming partner.

The odd tweet here and there or facebook status was fine, anything like uploading a photo, trying to watch YouTube or a little radio streaming was as good as impossible.

Not bad as it was free but where you have a few extra £ in your pocket you get stressed at it not being as fast as needed for things
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home
    You'll be able to stream and connect to Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) while in a Feel At Home destination but both of these will be slower than they are in the UK.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    dangetti wrote: »
    WIth EE and Vodafone offering 4G roaming now has anyone experienced this yet, if so what were results like?

I used Three in USA last year and speeds were very slow but then again it was 3G only and and seemed limited.

Not had 4G roaming yet myself but looking forward to trying it out in March at MWC

Vodafone seem the better option with £3 a day EuroTraveller and £5 a day World Traveller and you can share minutes/texts AND data, my plan has 20GB so could be handy.

EE offer a max of 500MB for £25, and that jumps to £30 for USA!

Anyone able to post their results from 4G roaming to compare

There is a thread about LTE use in the US running at http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76134833#post76134833
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

What does a VPN have to do with it?
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    When I was still on EE in the summer I went to Tenerife. Even though the local maps said 4G wasn't live I picked it up where I was.

Got 20+ Mbit speeds on occasion. Mostly 15-20 though. Not too bad.

This was on Orange. Was weird seeing "Orange 4G" on my iPhone :)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    If I remember rightly. Roamers usually get less priority on the host network. Unstandable in places where Tourists can increase city populations substantially during festival/summer/other event times.
  • InfamousTealInfamousTeal Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    I live near the border of Ireland, in Northern Ireland, and if I search for and force 3 IRL, I can get 7 Mbps while not even in the country, so speeds aren't bad (3G, obviously - just because someone else said they couldn't get more than 0.5 in Ireland)