Louise Wener

DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The former lead singer of indie band, Sleeper has written 3 books, Goodnight steve McQueen, The Big Blind and The half life of stars.

I have read all three and due to my impatience waiting on a 4th book I am rereading.

I would say my favourite is the big blind but the half life of stars is a beutiful tale and she really seems to have perfected her craft now.

Any other fans of her books out there?

Comments

• Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've read the first one, Goodnight Steve McQueen, which obviously drew heavily on her experience in a band (in truth, I only read it because I used to like Sleeper).

I thought she was probably finding her feet a bit as a novelist with that one, some of the dialogue was a bit waffle-y IMO, but nonetheless it was an enjoyable read and I've been meaning to hire the others out of the library.

Is The Big Blind about gambling? I read the synopsis once but it was a while ago so can't recall with any confidence.

Enjoy your re-reading! :)
  • DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is about gambling but there is a lot more to it.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gosh, there's a name from the past. Never knew she'd become a novelist.
  • handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read The Big Blind and thought it was excellent - I'd recommende the books to anyone who's intrigued. Mr M liked looking at her piccy on the back cover, too... :rolleyes: :D