Options

Google new email service inbox to replace Gmail.

i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,297
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i see on the BBC website that Google have come out with a new email service to replace its email service gmail.

but does anyone know when its due to change from Gmail to the new name inbox?

here is the link to the bit about it on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29740101

Comments

• Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they'd be mad to get rid of Gmail. It's such an established brand.
  • Options
    skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love sky wrote: »
    i see on the BBC website that Google have come out with a new email service to replace its email service gmail.

Have you actually done any research at all?

The Inbox app has been available for quite a while, and it has nothing to do with removing Gmail.
  • Options
    i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skiller wrote: »
    Have you actually done any research at all?

The Inbox app has been available for quite a while, and it has nothing to do with removing Gmail.

Yes i have thanks.

yes there is a App called inbox which has nothing to do with gmail but if you read the link i gave you will see that gmail will be replaced with the new email app from google which will be called inbox.

so if you read the link its going to change.:)
  • Options
    interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Some experts believe it will eventually replace Gmail"

"Engadget questioned whether it would really signal the end of Gmail."

Two lines from the linked article.. Hardly says it is going to change.. All industry speculation..
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Yes i have thanks.

yes there is a App called inbox which has nothing to do with gmail but if you read the link i gave you will see that gmail will be replaced with the new email app from google which will be called inbox.

so if you read the link its going to change.:)

I have to question whether YOU read the article you quoted.

In fact, if you read more about the subject you will see there are plans to expand the Gmail app to include all email from all your email accounts.

At this stage people are speculating about the future, there are as many people suggesting this is an extension of Google Now rather than a replacement for Gmail.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

misleading thread title.
    clearly you haven't read or even understood what the new app is, and it's a new app not a new service and not something that is replacing gmail.
    the app is used to access gmail.
  • Options
    fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my invite today. It reminds me a little of Google+ and Google Buzz when they first came out. The interface is nice, but there are so many bells and whistles it can be really confusing as to what you can do with it... and what happens to certain messages when you press action buttons or swipe them away.

It look promising, but I wont be leaving GMail behind any time soon. I think it is also more geared towards those that use GMail as their primary account. With a little more use I am sure I will 'find' the value of it, at the moment it is just another window into my email that offers new features.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Inbox is more like an extension of Gmail; it's not a replacement.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fletchem wrote: »
    I got my invite today. It reminds me a little of Google+ and Google Buzz when they first came out. The interface is nice, but there are so many bells and whistles it can be really confusing as to what you can do with it... and what happens to certain messages when you press action buttons or swipe them away.

It look promising, but I wont be leaving GMail behind any time soon. I think it is also more geared towards those that use GMail as their primary account. With a little more use I am sure I will 'find' the value of it, at the moment it is just another window into my email that offers new features.

Lucky you, I keep reading that invites are rolling out, but they are certainly not rolling in this direction and presumably won't be now we have a weekend here.
    Unless of course you would like to PM me with an invite? ;-)
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Some experts believe it will eventually replace Gmail"
    "Engadget questioned whether it would really signal the end of Gmail."
    Two lines from the linked article.. Hardly says it is going to change.. All industry speculation..
    Depends what the 'expert' was on about.

Maybe the shout decodes to a daft 'Gmail might replace Gmail'.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for an invite!
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going full circle in the resurrection of this thread.
    Seems they are shutting inbox down on March and forcing everyone back to Gmail.
    I've gone back now and don't particularly like Gmail. Much preffered inbox. Disappointing.
  • Options
    GavinAshfordGavinAshford Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Me too - very much been onboard with Inbox since it was created. Not switched back to Gmail (Android app) properly yet but having configured it as 'priority inbox' style, setting the left/right swipe as archive/snooze it somewhat goes to replicate Inbox (app) but I'll be using Inbox up to the last day.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah android here too. They should have just renamed inbox and pushed that as the next Gmail update.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    I think they'd be mad to get rid of Gmail. It's such an established brand.

Perhaps an awful lot of people have stopped using their Gmail, like people stopped using Hotmail. And the people that do use it will probably be given an opportunity to upgrade to Inbox so they won't lose anyone.