Options

YouTube to put videos behind a paywall

Comments

• Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    It's just some random thread title to kick off discussion in that area. You're reading too much into it I think.

Plus the thread title is sort of correct, there are going to be videos on Youtube behind a paywall....
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Well Netflix seems to be doing well with a subscription model. Not surprising Google wants a bit of that cash

One big difference: Netflix has always been subscription based, whereas YouTube has been completely free since its inception.

Almost a decade of free content and all of a sudden you have to pay for some of it? I don't see this working out so well...
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    One big difference: Netflix started out that way, YouTube has been completely free for almost a decade.

Not really a big difference, especially as the vast majority of the content will remain free on Youtube. I doubt the average user will even notice its arrival
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    One big difference: Netflix has always been subscription based, whereas YouTube has been completely free since its inception.

Almost a decade of free content and all of a sudden you have to pay for some of it? I don't see this working out so well...
    BSkyB did this in 1993 with free-to-air satellite channels, as I mentioned beforehand. It worked out extremely well for them, as you may have noticed. However, this isn't a limited satellite TV spectrum we are dealing with, this is unlimited video-on-demand and there's room for many competitors out there on the Internet. Google should not become complacent on introducing and expanding pay VoD because they believe they are big enough to get away with it without collateral damage.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there HAS to be "premium" content behind a paywall - why not simply split Youtube into two; Freetube (or stay as Youtube) and Paytube, and the 99% of the stuff you already watch will be on Freetube.

Are there any thoughts on Youtube/Google; Vimeo and so on actually forcing people to pay to upload their videos - maybe so they can remove the ads (although adblock does that very nicely)?
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The New York Times have given more information on the plans Google are due to announce. First of all, the $1.99 a month price is for a single channel and is the minimum they could charge for content.

Secondly, it does mention that YouTube will roll out the subscription model to everyone whom has a channel on the website (I suspect after this 50 channel initial push), citing low levels of income from ad-supported free video content they post.

They also mention two options for channel providers whom go down the subscription route - subscription and ad-funded or subscription and ad-free.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/business/media/youtube-said-to-be-planning-a-subscription-option.html
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    The only thing I can see this working for is for for made for TV or cinema material.

If channel owners who don't have the above content try to do it, they'll strangle their own exposure.

I do suspect, however, that those channels that do host made for TV or cinema material (and charge for it) will probably try to eliminate any copyrighted material much more vigorously than they do now.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The New York Times have given more information on the plans Google are due to announce. First of all, the $1.99 a month price is for a single channel and is the minimum they could charge for content.

Secondly, it does mention that YouTube will roll out the subscription model to everyone whom has a channel on the website (I suspect after this 50 channel initial push), citing low levels of income from ad-supported free video content they post.

They also mention two options for channel providers whom go down the subscription route - subscription and ad-funded or subscription and ad-free.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/business/media/youtube-said-to-be-planning-a-subscription-option.html

Something new will pop up. That's the not the Youtube I recognise where people upload clips for fun or to advertise. That's a video on demand service. It may taint their product.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    An additional thing to remember is that any UK based channel providing TV-like content will come under the jurisdiction of ATVOD, meaning they'll have to pay a fee and submit themselves to their rules.
  • Options
    Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    RIP, Youtube. It was nice knowing you. :(
  • Options
    mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YouTube is said to be loosing Google billions of Dollars each year in bandwidth costs. Many videos on YouTube aren't attractive to advertisers and those that are the advertising money doesn't cover the cost for those that aren't attractive. YouTube was meant to be commissioning programmes to attract advertisers but I guess that failed. There have been many video sharing websites that have closed because of high running costs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    If they ever put my videos, of me masturbating to daft punk music videos behind a pay wall. I'll be pissed.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they ever put my videos, of me masturbating to daft punk music videos behind a pay wall. I'll be pissed.

Looks like this loser doesn't have much time left. :cool:
    Nurses in Broadmoor should have restricted his internet access.

I think a paywall would be the death knell of Youtube. A paywall-free competitor would simply move ahead of them.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this is going to end well for them. The kinds of videos I watch on YouTube are not worth paying for, even if it does equate to pennies.

A real shame as 85% of my time online is spent on YouTube and I've been a member since it first launched in 2005. I'm on there for hours every day, but if they make too much content paid-only, vloggers and reviewers etc. will just go elsewhere, and naturally, so will the viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's an example of why advertisers don't want to advertise on some videos because they don't want to be associated with such videos
    I don't think this is going to end well for them. The kinds of videos I watch on YouTube are not worth paying for, even if it does equate to pennies.

A real shame as 85% of my time online is spent on YouTube and I've been a member since it first launched in 2005. I'm on there for hours every day, but if they make too much content paid-only, vloggers and reviewers etc. will just go elsewhere, and naturally, so will the viewers.

Personally I don't use YouTube that much I mainly watch music videos using the VEVO service through YouTube or old TV programmes no longer on TV.

I would think the pay videos would be premium quality programmes and movies not the majority of videos
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Oh how youtube has fallen from grace since it's early days. Back then there were no ads, no content removed, no stupid messages asking you to link personal information to your account, and a layout that wasn't a total cluster ****. Youtube really has gone down the toilet.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    They'll sign their death warrant then. People will just go elsewhere, where it's free. Perhaps they'll try to manipulate google as a search engine so that it won't show other alternatives.... in which case, people will stop using that too, and use a different search engine.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are forced to pay £50 to £100 per year just to access your own account and watch any video clip at all it would be ridiculous.

Keep the standard users channels free of charge.
  • Options
    Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Oh how youtube has fallen from grace since it's early days. Back then there were no ads, no content removed, no stupid messages asking you to link personal information to your account, and a layout that wasn't a total cluster ****. Youtube really has gone down the toilet.

This.

If it weren't for the "hidden gems" type content of old TV shows and rare movies I would not even acknowledge the site. It's been going downhill at a rapid pace since Google took it over and seems to get worse every few months as they continue to make pointless changes which nobody wants.

If not for the wealth of rarities which would be lost, I'd not be sorry to see Youtube go and something else take over which is more about the user and less of a big business.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

:D:D:D:eek:... I wonder will YT make people pay to watch music videos?
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As if they don't make enough money already from advertising, greedy buggers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As if they don't make enough money already from advertising, greedy buggers!

They don't make enough from advertising because advertisers wouldn't want to advertise on some videos. To name just a few of their costs YouTube's bandwidth costs are extremely high and videos are stored on servers that need to be powered and maintained.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    It's just some random thread title to kick off discussion in that area. You're reading too much into it I think.

Plus the thread title is sort of correct, there are going to be videos on Youtube behind a paywall....
    Sort of correct LOL. I agree with Irishguy.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »

Such a model is completely untenable even for a company as large as Google to maintain.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Downloading and watching things such as test card and ceefax clips accompanied by music, old radio station jingle clips, interludes and tv channel idents are great.

It's a great reminder of our past watching and listening habits.

Nobody should be forced to fork out £100 per year to google for the privilege.