Options

What is the point of this show?

124»

Comments

• Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the comment that that the show is pointless because it doesn't produce mega stars is a bit sad really. In any case some people may end up having good careers out of it. The Voice is what it is and without the contrivances and cringworthy nastiness of the X Factor. As for the 'I should have turned round' comments, they do highlight to what extent the visuals impact on our perception. But at least these people got an airing and who knows someone might sign them up. Looking forward to tonight and if that makes me sad, I don't care..
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the comment that that the show is pointless because it doesn't produce mega stars is a bit sad really. In any case some people may end up having good careers out of it. The Voice is what it is and without the contrivances and cringworthy nastiness of the X Factor. As for the 'I should have turned round' comments, they do highlight to what extent the visuals impact on our perception. But at least these people got an airing and who knows someone might sign them up. Looking forward to tonight and if that makes me sad, I don't care..

Having to perform to 4 judges who sit with their backs to you is the biggest contrivance you can get. As are the battle rounds.

As for The X Factor's "cringeworthy nastiness", it could be said The Voice suffers from cringeworthy niceness. I've heard singers sing badly many times on the show but they are never criticised, it's all softly, softly platitudes. How is anyone going to improve if their mistakes are never picked up and commented on.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    WelshNige wrote: »
    As for The X Factor's "cringeworthy nastiness", it could be said The Voice suffers from cringeworthy niceness. I've heard singers sing badly many times on the show but they are never criticised, it's all softly, softly platitudes. How is anyone going to improve if their mistakes are never picked up and commented on.

yeah coz the judges always criticize bad vocals on XF and don't ever tell people they sounded amazing after they just sounded more out of tune than a dodgy car alarm ...
  • Options
    KikiDafuqKikiDafuq Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Some incredibly mediocre and just plain bad singers getting through are making this show utterly meaningless. That Sasha Simone is a case in point. Her singing was hideous. Only seen no-hopers so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught this pile of garbage from the BBC tonite, it's so bad . .
    This programme will go down in history . .
    It reminded me of how bad that Spanish soap was way back when, Eldorado . .
    You've really gotta wonder who's in charge of this tripe & paying these judges a wad of cash with our tv license money, it's so embarrassing . .
    I've got a good mind to stop paying the license fee because of this hideous, vomit wrenching pile of poo . .
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say it year after year but Id really love for The Voice and The X Factor to amalgamate in some way. The Voice needs a bit of the glamour and the ability to put on a great show that TXF has, and TXF fundamentally needs the talent that The Voice attracts, and some of its niceness. I always watch The Voice and think how great some of these contestants would fare if they went on TXF instead where we could see multiple performances and they could possibly have a chance of a career after. The Voice is a great light entertainment show (in the early stages) but talent shows are most fun when you can get invested. There's no point in becoming invested in any contestant because it's so unlikely we'll ever hear from them again.
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, what is the point?

Nobody remembers who wins, it leads to nothing.

Why oh why doesn't the BBC take a stance against these pseudo reality shows and start investing in some proper programmes for prime time on a Saturday, instead of just following the herd?

I thought the idea was for a panel of celebrity judges to try and guess what someone looks like based on how they sing. If they think they are good looking they hit their button but if they think they are unattractive they don't.

They aren't very good guessers though which is why in the second round they are given the chance to pit the attractive ones they guessed correctly against the unattractive ones where they got it wrong so they can then get rid of the ones they got wrong.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    WelshNige wrote: »
    Having to perform to 4 judges who sit with their backs to you is the biggest contrivance you can get. As are the battle rounds.

I agree totally.

No-one wants to see some poor soul humiliated on National TV but I do think some gentle, constructive criticism is called for.

The rejected contestants must leave confused, thinking, "If I'm that good, why didn't they choose me". The judges always struggle to deliver the same platitudes and make them sound different to each person.

I think the show is a bit of an ego trip for the judges and as for viewing figures, they have no decent opposition at the moment. ITV are handing it on a plate to the BBC.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a load of XFactor diehards have infiltrated this thread :).
  • Options
    DalwhatDalwhat Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I think it's pretty pointless marketting this show as being all about the voice and not the hype then leaving the successful contestants to pretty much fend for themselves when the series is over. This idea of only releasing the winner's record a year later boggles the mind. You have to strike while the iron is hot in popular music. Yesterday's sound is history. While the vast majority are nothing better than good karaoke singers I think it is cruel to put them through so much then leave them adrift. At the very least the blind auditions should have some sort of connect ability so that promotors can get in touch with the artists if they think they can do something with them, be it musical theatre or cruise ships.

As it stands the BBC, with its attempted stand on the moral highground of substance over style, is just left with a glorified Stars in Their Eyes.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Some of it is down to The Voice being on the BBC - they cannot be seen to be promoting a commercial product, or a record company.

ITV and the X Factor can advertise both the winner, the record company (Syco) and give the contestants/winners platforms and promotions across all their shows. The BBC can't do that because it could be seen as product placement/advertising/giving undue prominence to one paticular company etc.

Less advertising and promotion = fewer sales.
  • Options
    james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its tripe and nobody gets anywhere from it
  • Options
    KikiDafuqKikiDafuq Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else really hate the pitches bit? I couldn't care less which coach the contestant chooses. I hate when two or more coaches turn because I know it'll drag this bit out even longer.

Oh and the tears of the contestants' families drive me crazy. No matter where they get in the show, they'll probably never make it in the music business. So why the tears of happiness because they've got past the first round and tears of devastation when the don't? It doesn't matter either way.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, what is the point?

Nobody remembers who wins, it leads to nothing.

Why oh why doesn't the BBC take a stance against these pseudo reality shows and start investing in some proper programmes for prime time on a Saturday, instead of just following the herd?

It's an entertainment show.
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I went through last night's programme in roughly 10 minutes flat, I suppose I've lost interest in it. Maybe it's because I'd just got back from an absolutely riveting performance of Orfeo at The Roundhouse, and a reality TV show like The Voice just pales in comparison.

Otherwise, I can't work out why. I used to like the blind auditions, but now it all seems very 'Meh'. I think when one starts fast forwarding the singing as well as the increasing cruft, (and this is the second time I've done it, only I cut out even more), it's time to bow out.
  • Options
    kitten12kitten12 Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point of this thread?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Dalwhat wrote: »
    I think it's pretty pointless marketting this show as being all about the voice and not the hype then leaving the successful contestants to pretty much fend for themselves when the series is over. This idea of only releasing the winner's record a year later boggles the mind. You have to strike while the iron is hot in popular music. Yesterday's sound is history. While the vast majority are nothing better than good karaoke singers I think it is cruel to put them through so much then leave them adrift. At the very least the blind auditions should have some sort of connect ability so that promotors can get in touch with the artists if they think they can do something with them, be it musical theatre or cruise ships.

As it stands the BBC, with its attempted stand on the moral highground of substance over style, is just left with a glorified Stars in Their Eyes.

Good post.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    every week although we watch it.. not my choice.... i ask what is the point of the show..
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's a television show made for entertainment.
  • Options
    MisterDuckMisterDuck Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    every week although we watch it.. not my choice.... i ask what is the point of the show..
    It works once you understand the subtle nuances:

"I'm kicking myself, I should have turned" == "I didn't turn coz you was shit."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a problem with the ' It's a tv show made for entertainment' . .
    The problem with that is it's got real people in it who'd like to make a start in the music business.
    So when each cringeworthy judge talks a pile of garbage to each contestant purely because the're being paid in the name of entertainment, it doesn't sit too well with me . .
    The judges get to go on with their careers with a healthier bank balance, thanks to us license payers.
    The BBC pay everyone who's involved, thanks to us license payers . .
    We get entertained supposedly . . er NOT !
    & finally the artists who are taking part, well the unlucky ones who get picked, get hyped up then dumped & forgotten about.
    But that's ok, it's just so us folks at home can be entertained . .
    A new series of the Voice anyone . . ?