Options

BBC News 9.55 p.m. weather outlook - repeat from previous day

SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I often like to watch the BBC's recently introduced extended weather forecast with the ten day outlook at 9.55 p.m. on the news channel. However, I have noticed on several occasions that the forecast has been a repeat of the one broadcast the previous evening. It has just happened again tonight, with John Hammond starting with his forecast for Friday. He didn't mention the eclipse, which I did think was odd when I saw it last night, and I'm now beginning to wonder whether he knew the same forecast would be going out again tonight. He did mention that Matt Taylor had done the forecast the previous night - but this wasn't right. It was John Hammond last night who referred to Matt Taylor doing the forecast the day before!

It seems such an odd thing to do, particularly when they must know the forecast will be viewed regularly by weather anoraks. The first time it happened I just assumed it was a genuine error and someone had loaded up the previous day's recording by mistake. However I have now seen it happen at least four times in just a few weeks, and | don't get to view it every single night. Mistakes can't happen that often. It's all rather odd.

Comments

• Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very poor show from the BBC - are the weather forecasters on strike today?? Luckily he didn't yap on about watching *tomorrow's* eclipse.....
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its meant to be that. Just watched it now on iPlayer and he barely mentioned Friday which makes me think it was always going to be shown tonight too. Why make a new 5 day forecast when 4 of the days are the same as last night anyway I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there's no pattern to these repeats as far as I can see, and in fairness most nights there is a new forecast. Maybe the duty forecaster just gets too busy to do it for one reason or another. However, as I said, it's the one which those people interested in the weather will want to see more than any other, and of all the viewers to the various forecasts shown by the BBC each day, they are the ones who will notice a repeat straight away.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its happened before.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The forecast on BBC1 just before 6 a.m. is recorded the night before and frequently turns out to be wrong:o
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The forecast on BBC1 just before 6 a.m. is recorded the night before and frequently turns out to be wrong:o

Didn't the late evening regional news and weather use to be recorded earlier in the evening before they went home?
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Its happened before.

That must be why it's hit and miss whether it shows up on BBC iPlayer.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They promote the 10 day forecast on the BBC news channel at 9.55pm quite frequently so to repeat a 24 hour old forecast is a pure disgrace if it was done on purpose.

They might care to repeat a few Jack Scott, Barbara Edwards or Michael Fish BBC forecasts from June, July, August 1976 come the summer and hope they are accurate!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    They promote the 10 day forecast on the BBC news channel at 9.55pm quite frequently so to repeat a 24 hour old forecast is a pure disgrace if it was done on purpose.

They might care to repeat a few Jack Scott, Barbara Edwards or Michael Fish BBC forecasts from June, July, August 1976 come the summer and hope they are accurate!

Plus the promo features alot of Carol from Breakfast, yet she never presents 'Weather for the week ahead'.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News Channel been really repetitive today and seems to be on loop.
    Lucky found some other stuff to watch on my planner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News Channel been really repetitive today and seems to be on loop.
    Lucky found some other stuff to watch on my planner.

BBC News may be the best news channel in the UK, but it's not saying much. Very boring and long winded.

Just like Sky News - they drag out interviews to take up time, and the reporters are so dreary and taking ages to get to the point.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say the sports presenters on the BBC News Channel all sound as if they've just arrived from local radio, some of them are pretty poor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say the sports presenters on the BBC News Channel all sound as if they've just arrived from local radio, some of them are pretty poor.

That's what happens when you build brand new studios in the middle of a council estate.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

Isn't it a 5 day forecast ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    That's what happens when you build brand new studios in the middle of a council estate.:D

I work in local radio and lived on a council estate, you must think I am utter garbage then.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Must be pretty embarrassing if they say it's going to be sunny all day, but you can look out your window and see that it's actually a heavy downpour outside - or vice versa of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it a 5 day forecast ?

They also take a look at the longer range outlook for five to ten days ahead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in local radio and lived on a council estate, you must think I am utter garbage then.

What's working in local radio have to do with it?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Must be pretty embarrassing if they say it's going to be sunny all day, but you can look out your window and see that it's actually a heavy downpour outside - or vice versa of course.

Not really, their weather app is wrong most of the time, and Michael Fish got over it.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's working in local radio have to do with it?:D

You said

That's what happens when you build brand new studios in the middle of a council estate

in reply to

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said

That's what happens when you build brand new studios in the middle of a council estate

in reply to

It's ok, I was making a point.;-)
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ok, I was making a point.;-)

And what was your point exactly?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no point in the casual viewer trying to rely on a 10 day forecast of the kind they put on just before 10pm on BBC news channel. It's likely to be far too vague to be of any practical use at that distance. I wasn't prepared to take at face value the forecast on Thursday night that said my area would be lucky and stay clear to enable eclipse viewing. It did as they said but that was only 12 hours later.

An exceptionally dry March in England this month, just 3mm of rain has fallen at my location so far. This isn't being mentioned much in forecasts yet, although the 9.55pm forecast has just stated that the westerlies will return next weekend with the jet stream moving south across the UK again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    And what was your point exactly?

Refer to my previous posts?
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Refer to my previous posts?

Still cannot understand what you are trying to say,do enlighten us more.