Trivial things that annoy you about TV

Comments

• catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weather forecasters saying "the overnight period" instead of just "overnight".
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contestants on game shows who think they're being hilarious by saying "hmm what shall we do..." when offered with an obvious choice.

It happens far too often on The Link.

*£2000 is the only money left with 3 links remaining*

"You can cut three links."
    "Oh, I just don't know what to do, do you? Do you think we should maybe cut the £2000?"

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! HOW UNBELIEVABLY WITTY!
  • A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate,hate,hate all the very unnecessary music in TV shows now. Especially on documentary's. The minute someone is trying to tell us something important on comes the very loud music behind them making it very hard to hear a word their saying. And Masterchef has for me the most loud and over the top music and it's just not needed. I also hate how on the quiz show The Chase when the questions are asked they have music going on and it's quite hard to make out what is being said. I could put subtitles on but then it covers up a lot of the screen. And sometimes for no reason the sound on some shows goes down and you have to turn the sound up only for it to go back to normal and it's way to loud so you have to turn it down.
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.Penrose wrote: »
    I hate,hate,hate all the very unnecessary music in TV shows now. Especially on documentary's. The minute someone is trying to tell us something important on comes the very loud music behind them making it very hard to hear a word their saying. And Masterchef has for me the most loud and over the top music and it's just not needed. I also hate how on the quiz show The Chase when the questions are asked they have music going on and it's quite hard to make out what is being said. I could put subtitles on but then it covers up a lot of the screen. And sometimes for no reason the sound on some shows goes down and you have to turn the sound up only for it to go back to normal and it's way to loud so you have to turn it down.

Hear, hear. Especially in documentaries where points have to be hammered home with swelling music, e.g. "Be moved!!" "This is heroic!" etc. etc.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weather forecasts (particularly on the BBC) when they spend half the time telling you what the weather was like the previous day

Another BBC gripe - when they're running late on BBC1 or 2 and drop in more trails to run even later still instead of catching up

BBC News channel uses a 24-hour clock on the screen but if they're giving the time of a forthcoming event or trailing a programme they use the 12-hour clock

The dreadfully patronising attitude of Victoria Derbyshire (BBC) and Eamonn Holmes (Sky/ITV)
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A camera crew shooting a presenter and/or interviewee filmed by another camera in "informal style"
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5's obsession with benefits and fat people!
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    On the news, when they have a correspondent waving his hands about whilst explaining. And then they go to an 'ordinary' family, used as an example to explain something.

Which to me is 'look thickos' this is what we're trying to say.

Given that only reasonably intelligent people are going to watch the news, why do it?
  • kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    It's been mentioned before, but I'm getting really hacked off with the way that end credits on programmes are now almost always talked over by some yapping continuity bod so you can't hear the music, and the picture is squashed down to show a video of what's coming up next so you can't read the credits. Sometimes you want to know the name of an actor or actress you've just watched. It's hugely annoying.
  • VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Hollywood.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Alexander Armstrong reads the answers out twice on Pointless, doubly annoying when they're long winded. We heard them first time and we can read you idiot! >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Lifestyle choosing to send only series 25 and 33 from Bargain Hunt. Again and again, forever on repeat. I would LOVE to see any other season, but alas..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In every single country that send their own version of Strictly come dancing, many of the proffesional dancers are from Russia.

It annoys me that I dont know why that is.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    When Alexander Armstrong reads the answers out twice on Pointless, doubly annoying when they're long winded. We heard them first time and we can read you idiot! >:(

Pointless is complete filler. I like the idea of the show, I like both Alexander and Richard, but I can't watch it because of how boring it is. Not enough questions. Too much nothingness.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5's obsession with benefits and fat people!

Amen to that!
  • Danno2020Danno2020 Posts: 281
    Forum Member

Oh that is annoying! Especially so when it's those fill in the blank questions. P BLANK I BLANK T BLANK E BLANK S. Now I'll repeat them all without the blanks... Why?! :o
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Weather forecasts (particularly on the BBC) when they spend half the time telling you what the weather was like the previous day

Quite - who cares if it was sunny in Aberdeen or raining in Belfast?

I also hate the big, wizzy map that can only show one area at a time. So its going to be sunny in Cornwall at 6am, wet in Wales at 10am, windy in Glasgow at 4pm and dry overnight in Sussex. But what is going to happen for the rest of the day?
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,640
    Forum Member
    When Alexander Armstrong reads the answers out twice on Pointless, doubly annoying when they're long winded. We heard them first time and we can read you idiot!>:(

To be fair they probably have a few viewers with visual impairments...
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The news thinking I give a sh*t about A Level results.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV presenters who try to give members of the public a high five.

It doesn't look natural, or normal, and you can tell that both people wouldn't normally do that. It's just comes across as very awkward and forced.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The news thinking I give a sh*t about A Level results.

Similarly: the news thinking that most people outside the M25 give a sh*t about the Tube drivers going on strike.
  • ladysilenceladysilence Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Can't stop watching 'May the Best House Win' even though it irritates the life out of me...commentator/voiceover guy trying desperately to be funny but failing miserably-dave lamb you ain't...nearly every episode at least once the contestants all get in to someone's bed together cue the song 'j'taime'(have also noticed this on 'come dine with me')...always someone with the most clinical of house desperate to win who describes every other house as ' not my thing'...insultingly low scores....
  • pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    ITV2 and Channel 5 always repeating the same films. I've noticed that Channel 5 will play a film on Saturday afternoon and then play it again earlier on Sunday, around lunchtime. ITV2 will play a film on a Saturday evening, and again on the following Tuesday or Thursday evening.

They are usually crap films too, which is one of the reasons why it annoys me.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    piggypug wrote: »
    ITV2 and Channel 5 always repeating the same films. I've noticed that Channel 5 will play a film on Saturday afternoon and then play it again earlier on Sunday, around lunchtime. ITV2 will play a film on a Saturday evening, and again on the following Tuesday or Thursday evening.

They are usually crap films too, which is one of the reasons why it annoys me.

Yes, they did that with Alvin & The Chipmunks over the past 2 weekends.

Sky 1 follows the same pattern as ITV2 with their films.
  • WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Similarly, when Dave and BBC3 hold ''stacks'' of shows, or ''Storage Hunters Day'' or something, it ends up being either every episode that's been on throughout that week again (in BBC3/Family Guy's case) or, in the case of Dave, 4 episodes of Storage Hunters just shown twice, back-to-back...