Options

Sky News - coverage of missing child

SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I switched on Sky News at 10 this morning and so far the only topic covered has been news of a missing boy in Edinburgh. Now please don't get me wrong - I fully accept that this is a significant event which deserves to be mentioned (as the BBC have as well) and I am sure it must be distressing for those involved, but even by Sky's standards it isn't something which merits continuous coverage to the exclusion of everything else going on in the world.

Comments

• Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't think think there is anything more important than finding that missing child if that requires 24 hour news coverage so be IT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they don't actually seem to have much to say and are struggling to fill the time. I'm not saying they shouldn't cover it - just that they are going completely OTT. Maybe I should expect nothing different from Sky News.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Well they don't actually seem to have much to say and are struggling to fill the time. I'm not saying they shouldn't cover it - just that they are going completely OTT. Maybe I should expect nothing different from Sky News.

If they have a picture and his last whereabouts on screen, I fail to see what the problem is.. The rest is just semantics,
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    I personally don't think think there is anything more important than finding that missing child if that requires 24 hour news coverage so be IT

Unfortunately children go missing all of the time but some get saturation media coverage while others hardly get a mention in their local paper.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »

Agreed, more important to me than Military cuts or rich tennis players swooning in the heat, although the appalling situation with the paedophile ring which streamed live child abuse from the Philippines over the internet needs covergae too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I agree with Joel's Dad. I don't have kids myself, But the first few hours of missing child search is very important & if sky have the resources let them show the missing child.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't they do this all the time now, alert the public on the news, if a child goes missing,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's basically a local story though. By all means cover it and keep going back to it (as the BBC are doing) but to give continous coverage to the exclusion of everything else seems excessive.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's basically a local story though. By all means cover it and keep going back to it (as the BBC are doing) but to give continous coverage to the exclusion of everything else seems excessive.

Yes and if Sky had not covered it fully we would have had dozens of complaints on here that TV media are only interested in stories that happen in London and Southern Britain. Sky just cannot win. There is always BBC to turn to for other news like some insignificant piece of news like tennis players banging a ball across a net
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Is Burley on her way up north to get in the way?
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Don't really see what the complaint is, Sky should be giving this their full attention certainly more important tHan British Oscar nominations.

Was there this type of complaint when other children went missing and sky and the BBC gave it coverage
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    I think some balance should be needed IMO. They seemed to have wiped everything else. They have a distinct yellow breaking news ticker so if you stumbled across Sky News, all the info is there.

That said, BBC News is covering other news too. I think sometimes we forget that a 24-hour news channel is not about having structured news bulletin like on BBC and ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Don't really see what the complaint is, Sky should be giving this their full attention certainly more important tHan British Oscar nominations.

Was there this type of complaint when other children went missing and sky and the BBC gave it coverage

Well there are the military cuts, the DLT and Roache trials, a quite big story about the Greater Manchester police chief being charged. I should think these might be of some interest to Sky News viewers in Brighton or Exeter or Norwich, or anywhere outside the immediate vicinity of this incident.

Let me repeat, I'm not saying they shouldn't be covering it in some detail and I hope the boy is found safe and well, but it just seems to me they've got their coverage a little out of proportion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    I think some balance should be needed IMO. They seemed to have wiped everything else. They have a distinct yellow breaking news ticker so if you stumbled across Sky News, all the info is there.

That said, BBC News is covering other news too. I think sometimes we forget that a 24-hour news channel is not about having structured news bulletin like on BBC and ITV.

I think this is a very good example to illustrate why plurality of news coverage is important.
  • Options
    semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now they are rummaging around a garden following police search
    Looks like it is filmed on smart phone
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    semiminted wrote: »
    Now they are rummaging around a garden following police search
    Looks like it is filmed on smart phone

Just saw that. Looked like something out of Blair Witch.

EDIT: He's on now, following police officers down a pavement, walking into neighbours' properties and poking his smartphone above their fences.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    possibly pedophile related. so appealing to latent lynch gang and witchhunt instincts. sky know this will give them a big audience to appease the advertisers ......
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It is important that they have coverage but some reporting on other news too would be helpful. I asked my parents once what would they do if I went missing and they said they would want a lot of coverage in the media on TV, online and in the papers.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bet the parents won't get as much sympathy in the media as a certain other family does
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    possibly pedophile related. so appealing to latent lynch gang and witchhunt instincts. sky know this will give them a big audience to appease the advertisers ......

Indeed, if this was a missing adult - even one labelled as 'vulnerable' (whatever that means these days) - they'd have been lucky if this got more than 20 seconds on the local radio news.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched on Sky News at 10 this morning and so far the only topic covered has been news of a missing boy in Edinburgh. Now please don't get me wrong - I fully accept that this is a significant event which deserves to be mentioned (as the BBC have as well) and I am sure it must be distressing for those involved, but even by Sky's standards it isn't something which merits continuous coverage to the exclusion of everything else going on in the world.

I switched to BBC News, and they too had what was almost wall to wall coverage, but due to the nature of the event, no issues with that, I see it is also done quite a lot in the USA, or similar, calling them Amber alerts .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been out this afternoon, but this morning the BBC were giving the missing boy plenty of coverage but also leaving time for the several other stories which deserved some air time. I don't suppose Sky managed to say anything more in an hour of continous coverage than the BBC did in their regular updates.

I should just add that I hope there is a happy ending to this.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky News is becoming very much the second news channel, its audience is about half that of BBC News and some of its editorial judgements are highly questionable.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Don't they do this all the time now, alert the public on the news, if a child goes missing,

They also plaster it all over Facebook.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Just saw that. Looked like something out of Blair Witch.

EDIT: He's on now, following police officers down a pavement, walking into neighbours' properties and poking his smartphone above their fences.

An unusual thing to do. I'd have no objection to the police looking, but having Sky broadcasting my back garden to the world seems a breach of my privacy, however slight a breach that may be.