UK's Worst Coffee?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had a very long motorway journey this morning and saw a Little Chef along the way. I haven't seen or been in one for years so I pulled over for a coffee. It was, without a doubt, the most disgusting coffee I've ever had. It managed to taste both burnt and flavourless at the same time, as if they'd tried to mask the burnt taste by watering it down.

It got me thinking if that could be the worst coffee in the UK. Does it have any competition?

Comments

• CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they probably kept it hot on the machine for hours. You'd get more use out of it pouring it your fuel tank instead.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mellow birds, surely?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Mellow birds, surely?

Urgh, the coffee of old people and wimps.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vote is for anything mixed with chicory.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a coffee from McDonalds because it was the only place near where I was working that sold coffee that wasn't instant. It was definitely the worst real coffee I've ever had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never come across Mellow Birds, sounds like I've been lucky :D
    they probably kept it hot on the machine for hours. You'd get more use out of it pouring it your fuel tank instead.

That could explain it. I'm not sure when they open but this was only 7am, I hope it wasn't from the night before *shudder*
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably from the kebab van by the turnstiles
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »

Camp "Coffee"! Beurgh!:D
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The little waiting room at the place where I get the tyres on my car changed. The coffee from their machine is absolutely vile. Made worse by the fact it was 70p. It was basically lukewarm water with a hint of burnt chicory and rubber.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »

OMG the most revolting coffees ever. Any coffee mixed with chicory, like some of the cheaper brands are tasting and smelling more like stewed horse muck than coffee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a McDonald´s coffee (espresso) the other day as it was the only place around open at 8.30am on a Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised - tasted great!

The worst coffee is the brown stew they serve up at my work.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    I had a very long motorway journey this morning and saw a Little Chef along the way. I haven't seen or been in one for years so I pulled over for a coffee. It was, without a doubt, the most disgusting coffee I've ever had. It managed to taste both burnt and flavourless at the same time, as if they'd tried to mask the burnt taste by watering it down.

It got me thinking if that could be the worst coffee in the UK. Does it have any competition?

I think the Little Chef bit gave you the answer to your question.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »

Yes.

For some reason when I had it in a cafe au lait at Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans I thought it was the greatest thing ever, but every time I've tried it since then it's been awful. The accompanying beignets must have masked the bitter truth.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »

I have a bottle of Camp Coffee - it's fantastic for using in baking. Coffee cake is far superior made with Camp! As a drink it's disgusting but it does have it's purpose as a cake ingredient.

I had a foul coffee at Waddington air show, it was Kenco instant and cost £1.60 or something daft. It was really weak and horrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a bottle of Camp Coffee - it's fantastic for using in baking. Coffee cake is far superior made with Camp! As a drink it's disgusting but it does have it's purpose as a cake ingredient.

I tend to use decaff coffee granules from a jar when baking. I will try to get hold of some Camp next time. Thanks! xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    I bought a coffee from McDonalds because it was the only place near where I was working that sold coffee that wasn't instant. It was definitely the worst real coffee I've ever had.

That comes as a surprise: Consumer Reports story ranking McDonald's as having the best coffee (better than even stuff brewed by barista's).
    perhaps you have a `taste bud` problem:p
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blackgang Chine on the Isle Of Wight is the only time I've ever brought a coffee, taken one mouthful and retched - it was disgusting
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    That comes as a surprise: Consumer Reports story ranking McDonald's as having the best coffee (better than even stuff brewed by barista's).

I've heard it has improved, it did though use to be vile about 5 years back.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starbucks, yuk.>:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I used to get my coffee from Mcdonalds all the time, never ate their food, but the coffee was good, I drink it black with no sugar, so can tell a good strong coffee against a weaker one. Costa coffee I find is bitter and Starbucks you are just paying for the name usually as the coffee is nothing special. Cafe Nero is ok sometimes.
  • marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a disgusting cup in the cafe in our local Range while waiting for the wife.

Had to fill it up with sugar so I could drink it. It cost £2 so was not going to leave it!
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=venusinflares;73615742]I have a bottle of Camp Coffee - it's fantastic for using in baking. Coffee cake is far superior made with Camp! As a drink it's disgusting but it does have it's purpose as a cake ingredient.

I had a foul coffee at Waddington air show, it was Kenco instant and cost £1.60 or something daft. It was really weak and horrible.[/QUOTE]

:) Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time.

As for worst coffee, for me the cheap and nasty ones from supermarkets, and filter coffee too strong and/or cooked for too long.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    I like cheap Maxwell House or Mellow Birds :)

I hate real 'ground' coffee; it's nasty-tasting and strong.
    No doubt the latter is the real deal, but I'd prefer milder imitations.

I also far prefer Cadbury's milk chocolate to some pungent lump of '80% cocoa solids' stuff.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Starbucks, yuk.>:(

Yep, not good. I have seen a couple of branches shut down recently, perhaps they are not doing so well?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »

:o:o Left justification? :o:o